Notices

OBX Coil packs

Old Jan 2, 2009, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OBX Coil packs

Has anyone tried out the OBX spark plug coil packs? Here is a link to some they have on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-X...QQcmdZViewItem
Old Jan 2, 2009, 11:35 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't even realize OBX made coil packs for the Lancer.
oh well, either way, i can think of a lot more effective mods to spend $100 on for the Lancer.

unless you are running a big turbo and pushing a lot of power I don't see any reason to get those
Old Jan 2, 2009, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

I was just wondering. If mine ever go bad, I figured I might as well get aftermarket performance if available. But I don't want to buy them and they be as bad as stock or not even work at all. I've had ups and downs with OBX products.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 12:17 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Juan Martinez
I was just wondering. If mine ever go bad, I figured I might as well get aftermarket performance if available. But I don't want to buy them and they be as bad as stock or not even work at all. I've had ups and downs with OBX products.
if your's go bad they are definitely an option. However i wouldn't expect to see any noticeable increase in performance over stock
Old Jan 2, 2009, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by crypto
if your's go bad they are definitely an option. However i wouldn't expect to see any noticeable increase in performance over stock
I second that. I've been researching these for the past few weeks off and on and have found more bad reviews than good in various forums. Seems more functional as a set of red accented engine parts than upgraded coil packs.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by senate6268
I second that. I've been researching these for the past few weeks off and on and have found more bad reviews than good in various forums. Seems more functional as a set of red accented engine parts than upgraded coil packs.
Where else have you found them and on what cars?
Old Jan 2, 2009, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Where else have you found them and on what cars?
Mirage forums, Eclipse forums, Scion forums and the Focus forums (IIRC) discuss having doubt in the quality of the coil packs. In the Mirage forums you can read about the stock coil packs holding to very high amounts of boost and HP. And the amounts are much more than our cars will ever see.

Instead of using the OBX coil pack replacements the better move is to use MSD coil packs with thicker wires and replace the stock style coil packs altogether. I'll be running a setup like this in the Spring to ensure good spark at high boost.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by senate6268
Mirage forums, Eclipse forums, Scion forums and the Focus forums (IIRC) discuss having doubt in the quality of the coil packs. In the Mirage forums you can read about the stock coil packs holding to very high amounts of boost and HP. And the amounts are much more than our cars will ever see.

Instead of using the OBX coil pack replacements the better move is to use MSD coil packs with thicker wires and replace the stock style coil packs altogether. I'll be running a setup like this in the Spring to ensure good spark at high boost.
Does MSD make a replacement coil pack for our cars? What is the best wires that is offered now a days for our cars also. The only ones I found are magnacore ones that rrm sells. I saw some rating on spark plug wires, MSD was the only one better than stock. The rest where worse than stock.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Does MSD make a replacement coil pack for our cars? What is the best wires that is offered now a days for our cars also. The only ones I found are magnacore ones that rrm sells. I saw some rating on spark plug wires, MSD was the only one better than stock. The rest where worse than stock.
MSD does NOT make replacement coil packs for our cars. But that's not to say that you couldn't make a custom setup with their wires and coil packs. Their catalog offers many, many options. You could use 4 Blaster SS coils or even a pair GM 2 tower style coil packs. But going this route is not just a plug-and-play operation. Much time will be spent in the FSM circuit diagrams.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 12:20 PM
Former Vendor

NGK are the best to get for the lancer. They are the same as stock. and priced cheap too.

LINK

you don't need high end wires like magnacore unless you are pushing a lot of power out of your car and absolutely have to get them. On a regular N/A lancer engine they will make no difference at all over the regular wires.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

NGK are the best to get for the lancer. They are the same as stock. and priced cheap too.

LINK

you don't need high end wires like magnacore unless you are pushing a lot of power out of your car and absolutely have to get them. On a regular N/A lancer engine they will make no difference at all over the regular wires.
From what I've read about magnacore, they ain't high end. Worse than stock.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 12:33 PM
Former Vendor

From what I've read about magnacore, they ain't high end. Worse than stock.
well then i guess that's another reason to stick with NGK.

either way, the 4G94 engine doesn't need "performance" coils or wires. Because they make no difference in performance
Old Jan 5, 2009, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

well then i guess that's another reason to stick with NGK.

either way, the 4G94 engine doesn't need "performance" coils or wires. Because they make no difference in performance
I did a lot of this stuff like the coil pack, msd wires and good spark plugs on my 98 eclipse and it helped out a lot on gas mileage and brought back that feel as when the motor was young. Hence the word "tune up".
Old Jan 5, 2009, 01:36 PM
Former Vendor

I did a lot of this stuff like the coil pack, msd wires and good spark plugs on my 98 eclipse and it helped out a lot on gas mileage and brought back that feel as when the motor was young. Hence the word "tune up".
replacing the factory coils, wires and plugs on the lancer when they are worn out will definitely help. However, replacing the factory ones for performance ones when they don't need changing will yield no gains, in performance or gas mileage.

Doing a tune up is always recommended, however anyone wanting to get more mileage or performance from their car is wasting their time in replacing the stock ignition components for a higher priced performance alternative.

keep in mind, this is just in relation to the 4G94 engine.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

replacing the factory coils, wires and plugs on the lancer when they are worn out will definitely help. However, replacing the factory ones for performance ones when they don't need changing will yield no gains, in performance or gas mileage.

Doing a tune up is always recommended, however anyone wanting to get more mileage or performance from their car is wasting their time in replacing the stock ignition components for a higher priced performance alternative.

Keep in mind, this is just in relation to the 4g94 engine.
+1

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OBX Coil packs