Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Trim ring for head unit install...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2008, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trim ring for head unit install... (04-07)

So its apparent that many have issues fitting the trim ring around their deck after installing it...

My question is this...is there an official solution for this? I see in the sticky posts people have used washers or just made their own trim piece but is there anything else out there that maybe I'm not seeing to resolve the issue?

A bolt on solution would be nice.

Last edited by IonNinja; Dec 25, 2008 at 12:53 PM.
Old Dec 25, 2008, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

When I put mine in, I just used some black RTV silicone. It stuck easily, and is very firm, and it comes off just as easy as it is put on.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 01:54 PM

jesus, only one reply?

is this not an issue with most people? i've been searching but I've yet to find pics of a properly installed head unit on an 04-07.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

Are you talking about mounting the trim ring around your radio after installing an aftermarket radio using the factory metal mounting brackets?

If you are using the factory mounting brackets, this installation method is called ISO mount. When doing this, the radio sits flush with the radio bezel but leaves a small 1/8" gap all around the radio that drives some people crazy.

If you want to eliminate this gap and use the trim that comes with the aftermarket radio, then you do not want to use the factory brackets, but use the metal cage / mounting sleeve that comes with the aftermarket radio. This way, the radio clips into the cage and the trim clicks onto the deck. The down side to this install is that the radio will sit out further, ontop of the radio bezel and whenever the bezel needs to be removed the deck with come with it.

Here's my old install, Alpine IVA-D901 mounted using factory metal brackets - ISO Mount.

http://www.creative-ego.ca/06lancer.html

Hope this is what you're talking about and hope this helps,

Nick
Old Dec 30, 2008, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by majestic*
Are you talking about mounting the trim ring around your radio after installing an aftermarket radio using the factory metal mounting brackets?

If you are using the factory mounting brackets, this installation method is called ISO mount. When doing this, the radio sits flush with the radio bezel but leaves a small 1/8" gap all around the radio that drives some people crazy.

If you want to eliminate this gap and use the trim that comes with the aftermarket radio, then you do not want to use the factory brackets, but use the metal cage / mounting sleeve that comes with the aftermarket radio. This way, the radio clips into the cage and the trim clicks onto the deck. The down side to this install is that the radio will sit out further, ontop of the radio bezel and whenever the bezel needs to be removed the deck with come with it.

Here's my old install, Alpine IVA-D901 mounted using factory metal brackets - ISO Mount.

http://www.creative-ego.ca/06lancer.html

Hope this is what you're talking about and hope this helps,

Nick
yes this is exactly what I'm talking about...

ISO mount is how it is currently installed as indicated by the two how-tos in this section. I wasnt' aware there was another way since none of the previous threads of searched have mentioned this.

I thought about trying to mount using the metal sleeve/cage/whatever you wanna call it but wasn't sure what would keep it in place. So basically using this method I have to have the factory bezel installed and then slide the cage + head unit in and it will be held in place now by the bezel itself instead of the factory mounts?
Old Dec 31, 2008, 07:03 PM

update...

I got the head unit installed w/ trim ring using the cage.

anyone having trouble getting the trim ring to fit should definitely go this route vs ISO mount.

would be nice if the mods or someone could make a note of this in the how-to
Old Jan 1, 2009, 06:26 PM
Evolving Member

Good stuff.... glad to hear it worked out for ya.

Now that you've mounted the radio with the metal sleeve, the bezel is what is supporting the deck... which is fine... there are many tabs you can bend to hold the cage firmly to the bezel and that's what will support the weight of the deck and also prevent skipping. Like I said there are two ways to mount the radio... it's all personal preference or what you have available.

There is nothing wrong with mounting it this way, the only thing is like I said earlier, if you ever want access to the wiring or back of the deck you have to use the keys to pop the deck out of the metal sleeve, then remove the bezel OR remove the bezel with the deck still mounted... either way... it's just a little trickier than removing the bezel and unscrewing the deck from the factory mount.

Glad I could help.

Last edited by majestic*; Jan 1, 2009 at 06:29 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 12:18 PM

you can also use the ISO mount and still use the trim ring to fill in the gap. i installed ny avic n4 ISO and retained the trim ring behind the factory bezel and when the screen is retracted, it sits completely flush.