Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Car wants to stall in 1st gear and reverse. Need help!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2008, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Car wants to stall in 1st gear and reverse. Need help!

Hey guys tried everything i can think of, and my car keeps acting weird. It acts like its gonna stall when slowing down and its still in 1st gear and the clutch is in. also when in reverse and the clutch is in. i just replaced my forge BOV with the OEM evo 9 BOV. Could this have an effect on the idle or be causing it to wanna stall? I checked and rechecked all my vacuum lines. and there all intact and zip tied also. I found a kink in the one from my BOV and replaced it last night. Seemed to be running fine for a while and then the same problem came back. I got a mail in flash a while ago and it seemed to fix a lot of problems i was having with idle issues. Could putting an OEM BOV on cause this? could really use some help. ive exhausted every possibility i can think of...
Old Dec 30, 2008, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

any codes from the ecu?
Old Dec 30, 2008, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it started happening when you put your 9 bov in what changed ????? did your previous one vent to atmosphere versus thisone recurculating if so and your tuner tried to compensate for your old one thats where some of your trouble could be. also is your airbox/intake lose .... might have to make a list of your mods as this could help,,,, on a hugecammed large injector flimsy airbox evo i would say this is almost normal and usually the stock BV will help this not hurt it....
Old Dec 30, 2008, 06:17 AM

havent hooked up to the ecu for any codes. no check engine light though. and the Forge one i had didnt vent to atmosphere either. just couldnt get it to work right even with changing out the springs. so i just went OEM finally. heres what ive done to my car:

O2 housing
downpipe
cat-back (factory cat still on there)
walboro 255 fuel pump
k&n intake
forge bov/evo 9 oem bov
aem tru boost controller (which i just completely disconnected the other day)
Old Dec 30, 2008, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

I had a little trouble with my aem intake you might swap it out for the stock one go run around and see what you think of the difference see if it goes away,,, also you might need to bump your idle up to 1050ish if thats what the problem is.... most you reported having this issue think it was linked to the factory MAF getting harsh reading because of the cone filter.... hope this helps
Old Dec 30, 2008, 06:31 AM

right on ill try that. just weird that it starting acting up the other day. has been fine for a while. so most likely theres no problem with the BOV its that stupid intake?
Old Dec 30, 2008, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

One more thing if your running copper spark plugs as some use because they want to go a step colder copper plugs foul very easily when i was using them i had to change them every oil change,,, might be worth pulling at least one just to make sure .
Old Dec 30, 2008, 06:47 AM

no i havent changed my spark plugs. there still OEM. last time i had her in for a check up was like 2 weeks ago and everything was a ok. but i actually just thought about that. if i have a bag plug it would cause something like this wouldnt it?
Old Dec 30, 2008, 07:12 AM
Evolving Member

I have similar issues. I have the metal 9 BOV, and the AEM intake and sometimes when I am slowing to a stop and push in the clutch the car will stall. Its mildly annoying, but not that big of a deal. I was hoping its something that a tune will fix one day when I get around to getting said tune.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Yes to both of the above tune will help and plugs could cause it
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SteveThePirate
Hey guys tried everything i can think of, and my car keeps acting weird. It acts like its gonna stall when slowing down and its still in 1st gear and the clutch is in. also when in reverse and the clutch is in. i just replaced my forge BOV with the OEM evo 9 BOV. Could this have an effect on the idle or be causing it to wanna stall? I checked and rechecked all my vacuum lines. and there all intact and zip tied also. I found a kink in the one from my BOV and replaced it last night. Seemed to be running fine for a while and then the same problem came back. I got a mail in flash a while ago and it seemed to fix a lot of problems i was having with idle issues. Could putting an OEM BOV on cause this? could really use some help. ive exhausted every possibility i can think of...
i have the same exact problem. started to occur few weeks ago, after my clutch started to slip. so i think its cause of the clutch. perhaps it doesnt grab fully (while u r barely rolling in 1st gear) so thats why the car kinda almost stalls... and it doesnt occur in 2nd gear cause by then u r moving faster, and your rpm is above idle - so no stalling
same would occur if imagine, u are on a normal car with a manual trans., u try to start moving from a standstill by just letting go of the clutch pedal slowly, without giving any gas. u know the car will barely start moving, while almost stalling.... and eventually just start moving....
i guess i will wait till i replace the clutch next month, and see if that fixes it.

P.S. btw, this doesnt happen while the car is cold (cause the rpm is higher). but once the car is warmed up, and idle rpm is back down to like 700rpm, then this thing that u r describing happens....

Last edited by S6devil; Dec 30, 2008 at 08:41 AM.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

same here with it not stalling when it is cold, but when the engine is optimum temp it will do that. I also did a test just now with having the car not in gear and revving to max RPM and just releasing the gas....went to norm idle no prob. Did the same thing in 1st gear, but the clutch pedal in (disengaged) and revvd all the way to the limiter. Let off and went to normal. Only when the clutch is engaged and the car moving forward/revers does the stalling issue come into play.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

also just to add...my idle is at like 1000-1050 with AFR at like 15.4-15.6.