Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

The Correct Way to Install a Head Gasket?

Old Oct 13, 2008, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The Correct Way to Install a Head Gasket?

So for some reason I'm doubting myself on the method I used to install a new head gasket. Probably from reading too many ARP 1x1 threads

Last night I assembled my head onto the block following the good ol' service manual process. Here's the process.

- Clean block surface and head surface with brake parts cleaner.
- Install ARP head studs in block (they've been used before and put through the initial stress cycling).
- Put head gasket on.
- Put head on.
- Torque studs to 58 ft-lb following pattern.
- Release studs in reverse order to 0 ft-lbs
- Torque studs to 85 ft-lbs (20, then 50, then 80, then 85).

I'm just wondering if I should have torqued to 85ft-lb directly and not have done the 58, and then release.

Looking for some feedback from people with solid experience in this regard.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Bueller?
Old Oct 13, 2008, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
when i put mine on i did not do the un-torque step. simply 20-40-60-80
Old Oct 13, 2008, 04:06 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
well, my experience with torques patterns are as follow:

there is a very good reason why one would increment torque values, this helps to seat the piece of hardware you are torquing plus it prevents from warping the piece you are torquing.

for example do a test and torque a flat panel that has 4 bolts one in each corner, and torque to full value just one corner and you would havel load up that one corner and the corners where no bolts in yet will have gaps, you just warped the piece of hardware.

specially when you have more than four bolts in a piece of hardware you want to ensure it seats correctly.

i work in areospace and everything has to be torqued in a sequence and specially when is a cover or a surface that has to seal after the torque, it will be torqued criss cross pattern, and in increments. you never go strit to the value.

some people would say ah what the hell just torque it, but when you are torquing two parts together and specially they have to creat a seal, torque patterns, stepping the torques up from 10 ftlbs to 30 to 50 to final value, in the design world of mechanical systems is a default to must do

sorry for the long story,,, now go to sleep

Originally Posted by jid2@[BINARY]
So for some reason I'm doubting myself on the method I used to install a new head gasket. Probably from reading too many ARP 1x1 threads

Last night I assembled my head onto the block following the good ol' service manual process. Here's the process.

- Clean block surface and head surface with brake parts cleaner.
- Install ARP head studs in block (they've been used before and put through the initial stress cycling).
- Put head gasket on.
- Put head on.
- Torque studs to 58 ft-lb following pattern.
- Release studs in reverse order to 0 ft-lbs
- Torque studs to 85 ft-lbs (20, then 50, then 80, then 85).

I'm just wondering if I should have torqued to 85ft-lb directly and not have done the 58, and then release.

Looking for some feedback from people with solid experience in this regard.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by justboosted02
Yeah, that's what I'm wondering... Should I have un-torqued

I pretty much followed the manual, but I'm nervous about that un-torque step, the gasket makes some noise, like "you're screwed now buddy"
Old Oct 13, 2008, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bueller!!!! hahaha
Old Oct 13, 2008, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by justboosted02
Ditto. I also did this process and followed the torque pattern. I put the final number to 85 ft/lbs. I haven't had a problem yet and it's been 10k miles so far since I did this.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds like people have had success with just going up to the torque setting and not doing the pre-load...

Has anyone HAD a problem with following the manual and pre-loading?
Old Nov 4, 2008, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Subbed.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 01:03 PM
Former Sponsor

not sure i would trust reusing a set of arp's but that is how i would have done the install.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
post#4 makes sense. Torquing and releasing is for stretching purposes...he said he is using used bolts to he can just go straight to jail. When I change my head gasket, I will be installing new ARP studs and following the correct method.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 02:04 PM
Former Sponsor

so what would be the correct torque lbs , i did mine at 80lbs and im hitting 25 pounds of boost on 9.01 compression fp green evo 8
Old Nov 4, 2008, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

The ARP instructions say follow the manufacturers torque pattern. Hand tighten fasteners in block. Final torque of 80ft/lbs or 85ft/lbs w/o ARP lube. To be performed in three equal increments.

Nothing about going to zero like with the factory bolts. The factory manual also states that after final torque to paint a line on the bolt and head, turn 90*, then 90* again for final value (no torque # stated) This is common on most heads. The 90* value is easy to achieve, some cars state 67* ect. Some new torque wrenches actually measure degrees traveled for this reason.

Last edited by althemean; Nov 4, 2008 at 02:14 PM.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

I know that the factory manual has you loosen after initial torquing to stretch the stock fasteners. But my main concern/question was whether or not that was bad on the gasket itself, or if it actually benefited the gasket by pre-seating it a little.

I think ARP headstuds should be good to reuse - that's one of the reasons they exist, for people swapping out heads often.

So anyway, I'm not sure if the pre-load process is good or bad for the gasket itself. If I did it over I would spray copper gasket sealer on it for added sealing power and just torque to 85 ft-lb following the pattern and stepping up in three stages.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 03:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jid2@[BINARY]
I think ARP headstuds should be good to reuse - that's one of the reasons they exist, for people swapping out heads often.

Thats why there are L-19's Im sure it is fine i have always just had an issue with it. More personal theory then technical thought.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Correct Way to Install a Head Gasket?