Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

1/16" deep cut in sidewall - ok to drive?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2008, 08:05 PM
NMX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1/16" deep cut in sidewall - ok to drive?

Hey all, I just noticed a 1/16" deep cut right in the middle of the sidewall of one of my stock tires. It looks like a slash, that is about 1/2" long. I measured it and it's 1/16" deep at its deepest point. It looks almost like a knife cut it cleanly.

Is this ok to drive with? How about to track? I'm not sure how thick the sidewall is, and whether this will affect the durability of the tire? Luckily it did not pierce all the way through, so it's not leaking. What could have caused this? Thanks for any input!

Last edited by NMX; Oct 23, 2008 at 08:08 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

1/16" doesn't seem too bad, I've seen deeper last quite a while, actually I haven't seen any blowouts from something like that...

Should be fine, but take it to a good tire shop for more clarification

It could get caused by any sharp edge though, you never know. Usually a slashed tire will be a little deeper lol
Old Oct 23, 2008, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Ask yourself is it worth the risk? A tire is gonna cost you a couple hundered. A blown tire could cost you a lot more than that.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 07:13 AM
NMX

Originally Posted by fastkevin
Ask yourself is it worth the risk? A tire is gonna cost you a couple hundered. A blown tire could cost you a lot more than that.
You're right - definitely not worth the risk...but I'm just wondering if it's only cosmetic damage and nothing to worry about. I think I'll stop by a couple of tire shops today to see what they think...thanks!
Old Oct 24, 2008, 07:25 AM
Evolving Member

Drive on it....the tire is thcker then you think. As for a blow out...those can happen at anytime for a number of reasons. Think of how many times people drive with nails, screws, and other crap stuck in the tire and have a "slow leak".....worry about the big stuff.....cams, intake, exhaust
Old Oct 24, 2008, 08:35 AM
ZK
Evolved Member

Tread damage can be patched.. sidewall damage can't be fixed and is pretty dangerous.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 01:47 PM
NMX

So 3 out of 4 tire shops told me it's probably fine. The fourth one said any sidewall damage means I should replace the tire.

Basically, I was told that as long as the cords are not exposed, the tire should be fine. Does that sound right? The cut is not very deep (1/16" at the deepest), and only black rubber is exposed when I pull the cut apart to look in. Most seem to think it's just cosmetic damage and the actual sidewall is fine, but what do you guys think?
Old Oct 24, 2008, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

I think you're fine....if not-well....get pics
Old Oct 24, 2008, 05:23 PM
ZK
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NMX
So 3 out of 4 tire shops told me it's probably fine. The fourth one said any sidewall damage means I should replace the tire.

Basically, I was told that as long as the cords are not exposed, the tire should be fine. Does that sound right? The cut is not very deep (1/16" at the deepest), and only black rubber is exposed when I pull the cut apart to look in. Most seem to think it's just cosmetic damage and the actual sidewall is fine, but what do you guys think?
I wouldn't risk it just to save some money... while the damage may look cosmetic, that cut part is weaker than the rest of the undamaged tire.

Pressure could build there and cause a bubble, the rubber layers to seperate or sudden blow out under certain conditions. You could drive on it and have no problems at all... there's no cut and dry answer.

It comes down to how much is it worth to have piece of mind?
Old Oct 26, 2008, 02:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NMX

Dude.. hopefully you don't drive any kids or your wife around with this. You realize what you're doing? You have some damage that could result with you ending up on your head (when I'm willing to bet the last thought that goes through your mind is "I can't believe how stupid I was"), and your asking the freakin INTERNET if it thinks you'll be fine.
You're wanting justification, and if you feel good about getting it anonymously from the internet, you're a freakin moron. I realize that was harsh, but it's the truth. You didn't even bother to post up a picture of the cut/gash/slice, which doesn't matter anyway, because I'm willing to bet nobody that's responded to your thread is a tire engineer. Risking several thousand dollars in damage to your car, not to mention the possible injury or worse to yourself or anyone else you selfishly put in danger because of your stupid decision, is worth saving a couple hundred bucks? Lets say you wreck, and while you're fine, you kill someone else. This is hypothetical, but is possible. This thread pops up proving you had prior knowledge of it, but refused to fix it, and you end up with a manslaughter, involuntary manslaughter, or at best, a negligent homicide wrap. You then get sued, so when you get out of jail, you spend the rest of your life paying down (because you'll never be able to afford to pay it off) the judgement.
Replace the gaw-damn tire, and get on with your life.

Last edited by fastkevin; Oct 26, 2008 at 02:29 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 02:36 AM
Evolved Member

^ Just a little harsh! 3 out of 4 tire shops said it was OK! The stock tires only last 10,000 miles, so live a little and drive them till they are bald. When you have almost no traction in the rain, thats when you'll need new rubber. 1/16" is almost nothing.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
Don't forget, if you do change the tire all tires should be the same diameter.
You risk drivetrain damage with diff sizw tires. Example- new tire vs. Older tire are not same size.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 09:01 AM
NMX

Originally Posted by fastkevin
Dude.. hopefully you don't drive any kids or your wife around with this. You realize what you're doing? You have some damage that could result with you ending up on your head (when I'm willing to bet the last thought that goes through your mind is "I can't believe how stupid I was"), and your asking the freakin INTERNET if it thinks you'll be fine.
You're wanting justification, and if you feel good about getting it anonymously from the internet, you're a freakin moron. I realize that was harsh, but it's the truth. You didn't even bother to post up a picture of the cut/gash/slice, which doesn't matter anyway, because I'm willing to bet nobody that's responded to your thread is a tire engineer. Risking several thousand dollars in damage to your car, not to mention the possible injury or worse to yourself or anyone else you selfishly put in danger because of your stupid decision, is worth saving a couple hundred bucks? Lets say you wreck, and while you're fine, you kill someone else. This is hypothetical, but is possible. This thread pops up proving you had prior knowledge of it, but refused to fix it, and you end up with a manslaughter, involuntary manslaughter, or at best, a negligent homicide wrap. You then get sued, so when you get out of jail, you spend the rest of your life paying down (because you'll never be able to afford to pay it off) the judgement.
Replace the gaw-damn tire, and get on with your life.
Wow, so you're right, I shouldn't get advice from the internet. I should get it from people that know tires. That's why I went to FOUR tire shops. Are you a tire engineer? Can you explain to me why a cosmetic cut in the sidewall will make my tire weaker? My point is that the tire shops seem to agree that there is nothing to worry about. The strength of the tire is in the cords, not in the upper most layer of rubber protecting the cords. Anyway, I'm in the process of trying to find a used stock tire for cheap. I only have 1k on the tires, and my new all seasons should be in within a couple of days anyway...but I'm still curious to hear why you are absolutely convinced that this is so dangerous to drive on? All you did was shout out potential consequences without any reasoning behind your statements...
Old Oct 26, 2008, 09:06 AM

If there is no cords exposed then is it fine. Atleast thats what a michelin rep told me when i worked for NTB
Old Oct 26, 2008, 09:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Its fine from what Ive seen. My buddy had a cut about 1/4 inch deep in his sidewall and never had problems. That was with a 25 series tire too.