Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

AMS Intake Question

Old May 7, 2008, 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMS Intake Question

ok! I install this AMS intake and I notice that there's a three hoses that connect to the stock intake, I know that one connect to BOV but the other two where do you connect them? does anybody here has a AMS intake install in thier X? how did you install them? I don't have a MBC setup yet,
Old May 7, 2008, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok i am trying to install this my self and i have the same question lol help plz.
Old May 7, 2008, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

**** i just read there web site and we got the intake systme with out the breath bugs so we cant install them on the intake system. It says to get an oil catch can for the crank case and venting the solenoid to the atmosphere. How the **** do you do that.
Old May 7, 2008, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think you have to use the other hoses...
Old May 7, 2008, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mightygnu
I don't think you have to use the other hoses...
i am pretty sure we do or eles it is going to suck sh*t str8 into the motor.
Old May 7, 2008, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

This is directly from AMS' website, so I don't know what you guys are going to have to do without being there and seeing it.

This intake can be ordered in two different configurations. The default configuration is WITHOUT breather bungs for the crank case and boost control solenoid. With this set-up we recommend an oil catch can for the crank case and venting the solenoid to the atmosphere. This will not effect your EVO X's performance negatively in any way.

The second configuration incorporates bungs on the intake pipe where you plug in your breather hoses just as they were from the factory.
Old May 7, 2008, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Well, I would opt for the 2nd config for the intake because having suction on the crank case breather line helps get out the oil blow by gases more efficiently than just having the line open. Plus, you can still use an oil catch can with this setup and it will actually work better anyway because yet again, there is suction pulling out the blow by gases. Just make sure to use a mesh like sponge material in the catch can itself otherwise it won't capture all of the blow by gases as well as it could. Hope this helps...
Old May 7, 2008, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

Well i was thinking of going to a local welder and having them weld a place where i can place this to hoes what do you guys think.
Old May 7, 2008, 10:52 PM

I just left it hang for now. I need to get an oil catch can, but no real rush, I connected an extra hose I have and have it leading out of the engine bay. The car runs fine, I just need to install my MBC and boost gauge this weekend.
Old May 8, 2008, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Ok so i called ams and they said to get a catch can or just get a little filter to put on the crank case. So i went to auto zone and bought a little filter and pulled the hose off and just attached the small filter to the metal tip and it works fine. I just have to clean it every once in a while from oil. The other hose I dont have to worry about they said plus i have a EBC i am going to hook up.
Old May 8, 2008, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Glad to hear your up and running!
Old May 9, 2008, 08:10 AM

Glad to hear you got it done! I had a problem with a 2002 chevy putting on the intake but then again Im just an idiot =O
Old May 9, 2008, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Anyone have the catch can installed yet with pics? I ordered mine without the optional spots for the "factory" style setup again. I already bid on a Greddy catch can and am trying to figure out a good mounting spot for it when my AMS intake arrives in about a week. Thanks ~Trent
Old May 9, 2008, 02:34 PM
Former Sponsor

thanks for answering the question for us. As was stated we offer the intake in two different varieties. some people really don't want to have to worry about a crank case venting into the intake pipe. We respect that and now offer our intake in two different ways.

most of the ones we have been installing we have been doing it without the two lines. Customers seem more keen on doing that either because its cheaper or that its a cleaner stream of air to the motor. We do highly recommend running a catch can on any engine though with or without an intake. Its just a healthier way to operate the car.

Eric
Old May 9, 2008, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AutoMotoSports
thanks for answering the question for us. As was stated we offer the intake in two different varieties. some people really don't want to have to worry about a crank case venting into the intake pipe. We respect that and now offer our intake in two different ways.

most of the ones we have been installing we have been doing it without the two lines. Customers seem more keen on doing that either because its cheaper or that its a cleaner stream of air to the motor. We do highly recommend running a catch can on any engine though with or without an intake. Its just a healthier way to operate the car.

Eric
Thanks for providing such a great system!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AMS Intake Question