Notices
ECU Flash

Meth Failsafe and Patches

Old Dec 20, 2007, 08:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
Meth Failsafe and Patches

Hi All,

Rather than filling up my V4 thread with the failsafe stuff we decided to move all that discussion into here.

So what we are doing is working out how we can get an external meth failsafe system to trigger the ECU to run failsafe maps...

Take it away Jamie

Cheers
Dave
Old Dec 20, 2007, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
MAP SWITCHING
Ok, first thing we are determining is how Tephra has used the ICS auto mode switch to switch to alternate FUEL/IGN maps. This is the biggest failsafe you can ever have.

BOOST LEVEL SWITCHING
The next thing is boost level. Most guys use a MBC so even if their alky kits failed and the alternate maps were used, you'd still be pushing some serious levels of boost. Using a MBC, in conjunction with the stock wastegate solenoid (boost solenoid), there might be a way to have the ECU switch on/off the boost solenoid so its CLOSED when the alky kit is fine, and its ON when the failsafe kicks in (I'm now thinking that if it just runs the stock boost map at around 17-19psi, that'd be good). If someone took the time to alter the boost map to run a different boost pressure, that'd work too. I'm assuming most people would want their alternate map to be tuned for the most boost/power they can get without their akly kit activated. That way if the alky system is busted or they can't afford more alky to refill the reservoir for a while, their car isn't a complete DOG on the highway.

Last edited by Jack_of_Trades; Dec 20, 2007 at 08:38 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

The MAP switching is done using the ICS switch. This is what the wires at the ICS switch do:

Green/White - (+)12v for light INSIDE the actual ICS switch (activated when parking lights/headlights are turned on)

Black/Yellow
- (-) Ground for light in switch

Blue - Manual trigger wire for ICS relay (connect this wire to (-) ground to activate ICS relay) only requires 3mA of current
*NOTE* The IC sprayer pump will stay on whenever this wire is connected to ground, its intended for momentary activations. Keeping this wire constantly activated for over 30 seconds could kill the sprayer motor.

Blue/White - Auto ICS wire (momentarily give this wire (-) ground once to turn on AUTO mode, must release and connect to (-) ground again to turn off AUTO mode) only requires 3mA of current

Black - (-) ground source for the MANUAL and AUTO triggers

Ideally, you'd want the AUTO ICS trigger switched from momentary ground switching to:

ON = connected to (-) ground
OFF = no connection to (-) ground

Doing so would simplify the use of most alky kits failsafe outputs to trigger the ALTERNATE FUEL/IGN maps.

Last edited by Jack_of_Trades; Dec 20, 2007 at 11:09 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 11:12 PM
Evolved Member

David, can the map switching be triggered under any conditions instantly? I'd assume you mimic'd the way the stock fuel maps switch between high and low octane maps, I could be wrong though.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm about to purchase a meth kit and this is something i'm very interested in.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will these patches work anyway with people without an ICS switch like the 05+ Evo's
Old Dec 21, 2007, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by daisaw1219
Will these patches work anyway with people without an ICS switch like the 05+ Evo's
They should, Tephra was working on the ROM's for cars without ICS switches recently (He just got in a huge accident with his Evo so his priorities are a bit different at the moment). If you have the failsafe setup wired directly to the ECU pinout, the actual ICS switch isn't required at all.

If you've ever DL'd one of his patches and didn't donate any money to him, now would be a great time to show your appreciation and throw him whatever you can (even 5 bucks would help I bet).

If you are kind enough to help Tephra out, go to www.Paypal.com and send any donations to his paypal account by typing in his email address which is "donations@globalshare.net".

Last edited by Jack_of_Trades; Dec 21, 2007 at 05:51 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
holy crap...i hope it wasn't his fault lookin at the laptop..."dontations coming +1"
Old Dec 21, 2007, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Dude, that totally blows.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 04:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
yup it sux right around christmas too

but please don't feel like you need to donate

anyways back OT, i'm not sure if using the ICS is the way to go...

maybe if we can find a universally free ecu input we could tap that and control the map selection via that... what do you think?
Old Dec 22, 2007, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

But every ECU has a wire on that pinout I believe. Its just a matter of the end user going to the ECU harness and tapping that wire. I'm looking for a wire everyone can "live without completely" and since no one needs an Intercooler Sprayer when they have Alky or water injection (most use the stock ICS reservoir anyways) there is no loss of another feature. Seeing as the non USDM IX's came with the ICS still (so I was told) I bet the ICS switch plug is still under the cup holder. Someone would have to check though.

Oh please, everyone should donate! Especially if they've ever used a feature you created,lol Its a community and god knows you do your part....times 10! Consider it a bribe from all of us to keep working on the ROM mod's if it makes you feel any better

Last edited by Jack_of_Trades; Dec 22, 2007 at 05:07 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Also, I'm not sure if you mentioned whether its possible to change the trigger commands to:

connected to ground = Alt Map ON
no connection to ground = Alt Map OFF
Old Dec 24, 2007, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

Has anyone checked for the plug under the console yet?
Old Dec 24, 2007, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by laramie_05MR
Has anyone checked for the plug under the console yet?
Not that I know of, wanna be the first? (hint hint)
Old Dec 25, 2007, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

I will tomorrow when I get to my shop.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Meth Failsafe and Patches