Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Cost of clutch replacement?

Old Nov 2, 2007, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cost of clutch replacement?

So I'm thinking i may need a new clutch very soon (still on the stocker) and I'm wondering what is the usual going rate to replace with a factory clutch. I would like to go aftermarket, nothing too heavy duty but I can't because it will void my drivetrain warranty. Dealer wants to charge me $1800 with flywheel replacement. That just seems rediculous to me.

I wonder if AMS will install a factory clutch???
Old Nov 2, 2007, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DSMEVOLUTION
So I'm thinking i may need a new clutch very soon (still on the stocker) and I'm wondering what is the usual going rate to replace with a factory clutch. I would like to go aftermarket, nothing too heavy duty but I can't because it will void my drivetrain warranty. Dealer wants to charge me $1800 with flywheel replacement. That just seems rediculous to me.

I wonder if AMS will install a factory clutch???
what ever you do dont get OEM clutch!! same thing happened to me and i ended up buying OEM (biggest mistake) and that clutch is slipping right now,
so i went to another dealer and they said "aftermarket clutches are the best way to go and it would not void your warrenty unless if something gets messed up because of the aftermarket clutch!!
Old Nov 2, 2007, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Buy a No Name Clutch from Road Race Engineering (stock look-like, but similar to a ACT HDSS) and have AMS install it.... retain your warranty .
Old Nov 2, 2007, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You could get it done for around $1000-1200 approx. installed depending on the install costs....I've heard prices range from $450-700 for a clutch install....call around.....ask around and pick a shop who has done several Evo clutch replacements before.....an ACT clutch is right around $500 and many like it or even the Exedy has one, I believe, in that price range..... hope this helps....

There are many threads on this topic too.....I'm sure you could find several to direct you towards an aftermarket clutch to your liking and price range and locate a reputtable shop to install it. Good Luck!!
Old Nov 2, 2007, 04:29 PM
Evolving Member

i payed about $1k for exedy stage1 clutch w/a new stock flywheel installed @ the dealer. i *****ed @ them cuz i told em that it was going out @ the time of purchase but they assured me it was fine. 2 months later....slippage w/0 even driving hard. i raised hell & they covered half the cost. many other reputable shops around the phoenix area (like dynocomp) quoted me between $700-$900 for labor alone.

Last edited by pekpekbuster; Nov 2, 2007 at 04:32 PM.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

IF you are near AMS, go there.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

i'm paying $400. i got tha hook up
Old Nov 2, 2007, 08:49 PM
Account Disabled

i charge 500 for clutch installs in southwest florida......
Old Nov 2, 2007, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

I do live near AMS, probably about 25-30 minutes away from their new shop. My main concern is just the warranty. Funny thing is that the assistant service manager of my dealership told me to go afterarket when I replace my clutch and it won't void my warranty as long as I don't go too heavy duty. However 3 months later the service manager told me anything other than stock would automatically void the drivetrain warranty.

Ralph's idea sounds very good. I don't track the car or drag race the car but I want a clutch that can hold up to daily "spirited" driving and maybe a launch or so a month. Obviously you can see that my demands are not to drastic. I would hate the replace with another stocker because I know that I will be replaing it every 30,000 miles.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 09:45 PM
Evolving Member

exedy hd is the way man. if your keeping the car you cant go wrong with the HD. good luck
Old Nov 3, 2007, 08:58 AM
Account Disabled

If you are worried about your waranty, go with the RE "no name" clutch. It was specifically designed to look stock yet provide better performance than the stock clutch. As others state, it's similar to ACT's HD pressure plate and street disk
Old Nov 3, 2007, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hacellular
exedy hd is the way man. if your keeping the car you cant go wrong with the HD. good luck
As much as I do know that is a nice clutch....what do you think the HD stands for?
Old Nov 3, 2007, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

I paid $250 from adam at devo tuning for the labor and bought my self a act 2900 street disc with new flywheel.

I believe AMS charges $400-$500 in labor but may be wrong?
Old Nov 3, 2007, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Turbotrix charges $600 incl. fluid change
Ivey charges $600
ICS charges $550

Got mine done at a local shop and paid $550 with a flywheel resurface...
Old Nov 3, 2007, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
put in a stock clutch, but put in a aftermarket flywheel...
thats the problem, the flywheel cant disapate the heat fast, which causes the clutch to slip

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cost of clutch replacement?