Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo's Rust Issues [MEGA MERGE]

Old Sep 7, 2003, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WHY is my EVO rusting already Is yours rusting also ????

My EVO is only 5 months old it never saw any snow or salt - no accidents - and yet when I was taking things off the car tonight to get ready to go to a race - LOOK what I saw !!!! I am a bit concerend about this - I HATE RUST !!
Attached Thumbnails Evo's Rust Issues [MEGA MERGE]-rust.jpg  
Old Sep 7, 2003, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You need to talk to your Mitsubishi dealer. I am sure that they are aware of your modifications, but this has nothing to do with the bodys rust corrosion warranty. Great, now we have something else to look out for.
Old Sep 7, 2003, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where is that...?
Old Sep 7, 2003, 06:55 PM

what did u take off to find these rust areas
Old Sep 7, 2003, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by joeycoates
You need to talk to your Mitsubishi dealer. I am sure that they are aware of your modifications, but this has nothing to do with the bodys rust corrosion warranty. Great, now we have something else to look out for.
Forget the dealer ! I wouldnt let them touch my car - no matter what ! I am the only person I trust to wrench on my baby !

I'll just sand it down and hit it with some rust paint - BUT imagine IF i did not catch this - the whole body would have been shot in two years

This is under the rear bumper beam and BOTH sides are rsuting hard in the same spot - in one year it would be through the metal
Old Sep 7, 2003, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

i'll check on mine tomorrow...
Old Sep 7, 2003, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

What do you have to take off to get to it?
Old Sep 7, 2003, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Diesel
i'll check on mine tomorrow...
Its very easy to take off - took me like 20 mins

Take out the tail lights

Two 10 mm screws in the rear wheel wells - one inside the quarter pannels on each side in the trunk - - 4 10 mm screws in the back of the trunk and then a 10 mm and a snap on each side under the tail lights - two 12's on each side to take the beam off - - its worth a peak

And about 17 lbs OFF your car !!!
Old Sep 7, 2003, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

holy crap, that's some serious rust for a new car. Yours came with an undercoat from the factory correct? I'm going to pull mine off tomorrow and let you know if it's the same situation. I'm driving mine in the winter, so I want to make sure all rust areas are sealed up good.
Old Sep 7, 2003, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

My car was less 2 months. While I was doing a routine oil change, I found some weld point under the car already starting to rust.

With a can of undercoat spray can, I spray all exposed weld point. Hoping to prevent rust to build up.
Old Sep 7, 2003, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

damn this sucks!!! isn't there a warranty on rust?
Old Sep 7, 2003, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Gee, I guess I may be dating myself here but this looks like Alfa Romeo in the late 60's to mid 70's. They were also great cars but they would rust away under your **** - the result of using recycled steel and poor corrosion protection.

Anyway no heavy paint or undercoating on this car

I suggest for wet usage you spray the whole car with Boeshield T-9, a metal protectant developed by Boeing for the landing gear of aircraft (high magnesium content and easily corroded in wet and saline environments). This stuff leaves a waxy coating that does not attract dirt and inhibits corrosion extremly well.

It's available at chandlers and marine supply stores and works exceedingly well for this kind of stuff.
Old Sep 7, 2003, 08:16 PM
Evolving Member

mine had the same rust in the same area... I just sprayed it. There are other poorly covered areas, I'm sure.

bryan
Old Sep 7, 2003, 08:19 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
I've taken all the other "the sky is falling" Evo posts with a grain of salt, but this really pisses me off.

The warranty fully protects us against this, but I'm not filled with reassurance about quality control seeing rust like that on a very new car.

Everyone, check your car. If there are more than one like this, we need to do something about it immediately. Mitsubishi can not/will not ignore a glowering problem of this magnitude, I guarantee it.
The last thing I want is my car to turn into a rust bucket, then get someone to try to match the factory black paint.

Al, thanks for the heads up!

Last edited by Noize; Sep 7, 2003 at 08:22 PM.
Old Sep 7, 2003, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

My friend has a body shop. It is not uncommon to see rust like that in certain areas on ANY car. It is usually not a big deal. I've seen cars that had the surface type rust for years without corroding any further. It's when you get prolonged exposure to moisture and the area won't dry that you need to worry about. Have you ever had a part freshly machined? It will get surface rust real quick. Your part that looked new the day before will be covered...BUT unless you keep it wet or in constant moisture it will essentially remain as surface rust

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Evo's Rust Issues [MEGA MERGE]