Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

**Alternator Install**

Old Jul 30, 2007, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
**Alternator Install**

added install instructions on post #6

Alright... I have searched everywhere for instructions or even a diagram on how to replace an alternator on my 02 lancer oz.

If anyone has any information on this install, please let me know. Maybe it's just a pop-off-the-belt, undo-a-couple-bolts, mount-the-new-alternator, put-the-bolts-back-on-along-with-the-belt-and-your-done install, I don't know, but some help would be awesome Even if someone has one of those, do-it-yourself books for the lancer, that would be great too

I'll even take pics and create a how-to for everyone when I'm done

Last edited by wickdaddy; Aug 6, 2007 at 04:49 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This'll get you started...

Old Jul 30, 2007, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks, bro! I actually just got that crazy repair manual. The alternator (aka 'generator') should be here on Wednesday. I'll try to get some pics up of the install, so everyone can see this happen, as I am sure some of the 02-03 alternators are soon to be on the way out and needed to be replaced...
Old Aug 4, 2007, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by wickdaddy
Thanks, bro! I actually just got that crazy repair manual. The alternator (aka 'generator') should be here on Wednesday. I'll try to get some pics up of the install, so everyone can see this happen, as I am sure some of the 02-03 alternators are soon to be on the way out and needed to be replaced...
If you dont mind me asking where did you get your high Amp Alternator and how much was it. I am looking for one desperately.

Alex
Old Aug 5, 2007, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by futureal
If you dont mind me asking where did you get your high Amp Alternator and how much was it. I am looking for one desperately.

Alex
I actually just snagged one off of another lancer. But I just noticed that you have an EVO IX, so that probably won't work for you... anyway for the lancer guys... the alternator I purchased is used, but it works perfectly! Here is the link to the ebay listing where I purchased mine. I believe that he has a few more left. I instant paypaled him the money and he shipped it out the same day. Ended up being 65 shipped Way better than 221 + 80 core for a new one at Autozone

I'm going to try to get the install instructions posted sometime soon, but I've been busy...

Last edited by wickdaddy; Aug 6, 2007 at 03:41 PM.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Alternator Install Instructions

Well after searching everywhere and not wanting to pay someone for this install, I ended up pulling it off and switching out the dead alternator with a working one. Here's how it did it with some pics for easier understanding

Click Here to Download the PDF diagram of the alternator

Make sure to disconnect the battery.

Here is the dead alternator I am working with

and the new one

First, I loosened bolt #1 enough so that it will slide out of the "U" bracket easily (but remember to mark how far it was screwed in as this firms up the tension on the belt).
Second, loosen bolt #2 so that it comes all the way out of the alternator, but not all the way out of the block (the block along with both bolts #1 and #2 will come off)

Next, I needed to go under the car to pull this nut off (this is the main hinge that is used to attach the alternator to the car) and slide the bolt out toward the passenger side of the car.

While I was under the car, I went ahead and pulled the boot back and unbolted the nut that was attached to the top of the alternator connector.
Then, pushed-down and pulled out the alternator connector plug.
I just left these dangling, but out of the way so that they would not get snagged on anything.

Now, I went back up to the top of the car and firmly grabbed the side of the alternator closest to the firewall and pulled forward to release the tension on the belt.
And then slid the belt gently to the side.

The alternator is now not connected to anything, so I just moved it back and forth until it slid out from its location.
Here are the two alternators side-by-side.

Now, that I had the old one out, it was time to put the new one in. (Just a reverse of the first process, but I'll write how to put it back in )

Put the new one in the same location by sliding the 2 bottom pieces down to where the bottom bolt was pulled from.

I went back under the car, slid the bolt back through making sure not to force anything (after it is lined-up, it will slide right through), but do not tighten the bolt back on yet (we still need a little movement for the belt tension)

Pop the alternator connector plug back in along with the ground connector that has the nut that will fit under the boot.

Back at the top of the engine bay, I slid the belt back on and pushed the alternator back toward the firewall to get a good tension on the belt.

Now, take the block and the first 2 bolts. Line-up and screw bolt #2 all the way in, but make sure to slide bolt #1 over the "U" bracket in the process.

After #2 is in, tighten down #1 to the same position that it was previously set.

Finally, go under the car, and tighten down the slide-bolt with its respective nut and now I have my new working alternator

Old Aug 7, 2007, 12:28 AM
Evolving Member

Nice Write-Up!!! I noticed that you bought a used alternator off of another lancer. The listing states that it is an 85 amp alternator. My question is can we find higher amperaged (I dont know if thats a word?) alternators for our cars?
Old Aug 7, 2007, 05:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dmoney1988
Nice Write-Up!!! I noticed that you bought a used alternator off of another lancer. The listing states that it is an 85 amp alternator. My question is can we find higher amperaged (I dont know if thats a word?) alternators for our cars?
not sure if there is a higher amp alternator for our cars or not, but the one I got was just pulled off of another lancer, so I figured it would work

You have a system in yours?
Old Aug 7, 2007, 11:27 PM
Evolving Member

Yea and everytime it hits my head lights flicker. It is a very faint flicker and it is only noticeable if I concentrate on it. And thats when the car is on. If I have the car off, my inside lights flicker like if my car were a night club. LOL

BTW, Im running an 800 watt pioneer monoblock with a 10" type E Alpine. Suprisingly enough, it BUMPS!!!!
Old Aug 14, 2007, 04:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dmoney1988
BTW, Im running an 800 watt pioneer monoblock with a 10" type E Alpine. Suprisingly enough, it BUMPS!!!!
well just about anything but our little 6.5's will bump. I was really disappointed when upgrading the 6.5's and headunit to really not get much power
Old May 31, 2008, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

if the stock alt is 85 amps, how many amps is the evo? you'd figure with a similar engine bay area, there'd obviously be a higher amperage for the evo, but that they also might be swappable. can anyone shed some light on this?
Old Jul 5, 2008, 07:16 PM

that a good thread but i have the same question but for my 05 evo8 triin to get that little bastard out is the trick after all the bolts are loose
Old Jul 6, 2008, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pureautosports
that a good thread but i have the same question but for my 05 evo8 triin to get that little bastard out is the trick after all the bolts are loose
I believe that I pulled mine up through the top on the lancer.. haven't done it on the evo yet..

Originally Posted by joberk3
if the stock alt is 85 amps, how many amps is the evo? you'd figure with a similar engine bay area, there'd obviously be a higher amperage for the evo, but that they also might be swappable. can anyone shed some light on this?
Just pulled it off of the '03 Evo Service Manual which I believe should be the same through '05.. Looks like:

P/N: MD366831 or M366831D
12V/90amps

Here is a diagram of the evo alternator and also where I found the V/A specs
Old Jul 9, 2008, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Update..
there are some high output alternators for the evo:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=300160

Current GB:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=332927
Old Jul 18, 2009, 09:36 PM

very nice write up! wish they were all like that!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: **Alternator Install**