Notices

When do we need to rebalance wheels?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2006, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When do we need to rebalance wheels?

I'm just wondering when it is recommended to rebalance wheels? How does one know if one needs to? I recently took my aftermarket rims off the old RA and put them on an RA wagon, which I assume weighs a little more in the back. Any thoughts? I just want to avoid irregular wear, etc.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you serious?

And if you are you're wheels usually get balanced from whoever put new tires on your wheels. You can usually tell if your wheels are not balanced cause when you drive above a certain speed the steering wheel will begin to vibrate and with more increased speed the vibration will get worse.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, I was serious. I guess your answer is that if I don't get vibration in the wheels/steering wheel at high speeds then I don't have a problem. I don't get any vibrations so I guess I don't need to get any rebalancing done? I never had tires remounted or anything. All I did was take the entire set and put them on a different car and was wondering if there was any rebalancing needed. shoot me for asking...
Old Nov 27, 2006, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

When car feels like it is going break apart you need to get your wheels balanced.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 05:00 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ddcha
Yes, I was serious. I guess your answer is that if I don't get vibration in the wheels/steering wheel at high speeds then I don't have a problem. I don't get any vibrations so I guess I don't need to get any rebalancing done? I never had tires remounted or anything. All I did was take the entire set and put them on a different car and was wondering if there was any rebalancing needed. shoot me for asking...
Correct, you don't need to do anything. The only time you'd ever need to rebalance a wheel is when you replace the tire, or one of the weights go missing.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by otter
Correct, you don't need to do anything. The only time you'd ever need to rebalance a wheel is when you replace the tire, or one of the weights go missing.
Yep.

I'll ask something, do the weights on the stock wheels have to be the stick-on type or is it fine if they used a rim-clamp type on the inner rim?
Reason being, I had to take my wheel to wal-mart for a tire repair (yes, wal-mart) and when they rebalanced the wheel they used a clamp-type weight. I don't want that to **** up the wheel finish like I always see on old cars with aluminum wheels.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I let them use the clamp-on weights on my cheap steel wheels for my snow tires, but ask for stick-on weights on my stock wheels.

And I usually get each set re-balanced before I put them on the car. Snow tires get balanced in Fall before going on for the Winter, Summer tires get balanced in the Spring before they get swapped on.

The wheel/tire's balance can change as the tire wears, so I do each set of mine once a year. It helps that the place I buy tires from offers free rebalancing, so it only costs me a bit of time and a couple gallons of gas for my truck.