Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

GEICO Raised My Insurance Rate 50% for Nothing!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2006, 01:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GEICO Raised My Insurance Rate 50% for Nothing!

I’m 47 years old, no speeding tickets, no accidents, no points on my license. I’ve been a GEICO customer for over 20 years – all without incident – incredibly enough. I bought my 2004 Evo new and have paid approximately $1,000 a year for full coverage. I’ve had this rate for almost two and a half years with GEICO.

Suddenly on my current bill, they’ve raised the rate to approximately $1,500 – a 50% increase.

Of course, I called them and they claim that the car rating service they subscribe to has increased this model to a class “U” risk, up two classes from its previous class rating. They politely explained to me that it has nothing to do with what other drivers are doing (or crashing) with their cars, but that it is solely because the cost of parts has increased to repair it.

My policy is up for renewal in mid December. Has anyone else who has GEICO received a recent invoice with such a huge increase?

Of course I love driving my Evo and don’t want to replace it with a Buick just to lower my insurance !

Thanks!
Old Nov 18, 2006, 01:26 AM
Evolving Member

haha, i'm 21 and my insurance ins 3457 a year, can't wait to get to 25
Old Nov 18, 2006, 01:43 AM
Evolving Member

check out wawanessa, I have heard great things bout their insurance. Geico= worst insurance for evos.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 01:44 AM
Evolving Member

That's almost $42 extra per month. I've been with State Farm for years and only pay $74 a month. I would switch when your policy is up. What kind of coverage do you have?
Old Nov 18, 2006, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by evo3matt
haha, i'm 21 and my insurance ins 3457 a year, can't wait to get to 25
Well, I wish I was 21 again and had the privilege to pay 3K for insurance, but the question is the 50% increase from the base rate. How would you like it if you had to suddenly pay $4,750 for insurance just because some actuary/math/statistics-geek moves your car up two notches to the "ridiculous risk class"?

I hope you don't have GEICO because they claimed that this was an across-the-board change, and that it wouldn't even matter if I shopped around for insurance because they all use the same or similar rating services. So far I've checked with Liberty Mutual and they've quoted me the same price!

Of course I'm pissed-off about this and am shopping around because there is no reason to believe GEICO.

I'm just wondering if anyone else's insurance rate has jumped dramatically this month, or is it just me?
Old Nov 18, 2006, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by KUEvo
That's almost $42 extra per month. I've been with State Farm for years and only pay $74 a month. I would switch when your policy is up. What kind of coverage do you have?
Thanks, they're on my list for a quote too.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by BigEd925
check out wawanessa, I have heard great things bout their insurance. Geico= worst insurance for evos.
Thanks, I never heard of wawanessa but will check it out.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 01:57 AM
Evolving Member

lol if my insurance goes up any more its bye bye evo or liability/uninsured motorists only =x
Old Nov 18, 2006, 02:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Apoartar
Well, I wish I was 21 again and had the privilege to pay 3K for insurance, but the question is the 50% increase from the base rate. How would you like it if you had to suddenly pay $4,750 for insurance just because some actuary/math/statistics-geek moves your car up two notches to the "ridiculous risk class"?

I hope you don't have GEICO because they claimed that this was an across-the-board change, and that it wouldn't even matter if I shopped around for insurance because they all use the same or similar rating services. So far I've checked with Liberty Mutual and they've quoted me the same price!

Of course I'm pissed-off about this and am shopping around because there is no reason to believe GEICO.

I'm just wondering if anyone else's insurance rate has jumped dramatically this month, or is it just me?

Mine has gone down slightly, and I stress "slightly", over the past two years of ownership. I have full coverage and State Farm has always accommodated me quite well over the past years. I have full coverage and just for ****s and giggles I have done rate comparisons in the past. Nothing came anywhere close to what I pay now. My buddy who owns an '05 MR goes through Farmer's and has favorable rates.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 02:21 AM
Evolving Member

State Farm here too. Just over $1,000 a year for me with $500 deductable. Full coverage plus uninsured and underinsured with roadside assistance also. No increases on my policy recently. I hear Farmers is good too.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 02:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mr.MR
State Farm here too. Just over $1,000 a year for me with $500 deductable. Full coverage plus uninsured and underinsured with roadside assistance also. No increases on my policy recently. I hear Farmers is good too.
What's your driving record like? I also have the uninsured and underinsured plus rental car insurance. Apoartar, I would definitely look into State Farm. I have been completely satisfied with them over the years. My agent actually saw my picture in the newspaper when I signed to play soccer for UMKC and sent me a congratulatory card with a copy of the article. Of course that's hometown, Midwestern hospitality.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 02:50 AM
Admin Alumni

Is is possible that your Evo was listed as a straight Lancer when you took out the policy? When I was shopping for my car, they listed Lancers only and realized the mistake a few months down the line and added the Evo to the list. I haven't checked my policy lately for any increases. Will do later and check back in.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 03:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry to hear about your 50% hike!

I'm 23, my insurance on my '03 Jetta was $1201/yr (full coverage, $500 deduct.... not bad for Massachusetts)

I was expecting my insurance to double when I got my Evo... but to my suprise, it only went up $57 for the year!
Old Nov 18, 2006, 05:04 AM
Evolving Member

drop them and go with someone else. Nothing more powerful than the customer voice.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 05:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
+1. take your $ somewhere else.

Originally Posted by evolvedmb
drop them and go with someone else. Nothing more powerful than the customer voice.

Quick Reply: GEICO Raised My Insurance Rate 50% for Nothing!