Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Redline lightweight shockproof ok for tranny ?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2006, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Redline lightweight shockproof ok for tranny ?

Just picked up some bottles of the redline lightweight shockproof gear oil and wanted to hear your thoughts on this oil ? Did you notice smoother shifting how does it hold up etc.. Yes i have searched and really have not found the answer i am looking for thanks guys
Old Sep 6, 2006, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

I heard if you mix that stuff half and half with MTL 90, or GM synchromesh it works great...I am on straight GM synchromesh now but I want more gear and bearing protection the next time I change fluids.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

anyone else ??
Old Sep 6, 2006, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

I wouldnt.....Your transmission will get notchy and hard to shift. Use BG or pennzoil synchromesh. I know DSM guys use heavy shockproof mixed with BG in there transmissions and it works well. Unless your going to be racing a lot I would just put straight BG or Penz synchro in it....
Old Sep 6, 2006, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

car is driven very hard daily , tracked sometimes >>
Old Sep 6, 2006, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

I used BG on my tranny too! shift much smoother and never grind once!
Old Sep 6, 2006, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

2 BG's and 1 Redline light weight shockproof.
Change every 15K.
Car has 44K.

No problems !
Old Sep 6, 2006, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Do not use ANY redline fluids in your driveline unless its the HEAVYWEIGHT shockproof (pink stuff) in the TC.

I've tried the MT-90, MTL, ect in the trans... I had more material on my magnetic drain plug then I've ever seen before.

I only use royal purple 75-90 in the trans and either diaqueen or HEAVYWEIGHT shockproof in the TC, nothing else. I track my car just about everyweek, change all my fluids just about every 3k and have over 70k miles on everything with no problems what so ever.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
Do not use ANY redline fluids in your driveline unless its the HEAVYWEIGHT shockproof (pink stuff) in the TC.

I've tried the MT-90, MTL, ect in the trans... I had more material on my magnetic drain plug then I've ever seen before.

I only use royal purple 75-90 in the trans and either diaqueen or HEAVYWEIGHT shockproof in the TC, nothing else. I track my car just about everyweek, change all my fluids just about every 3k and have over 70k miles on everything with no problems what so ever.
The normal redline fluids don't seem to handle high HP as well, from my DSM experience. Neither do most ALL the fluids people on here run as often. The lightweight shockproof with a little bit of MT-90 shifts well and protects the gears much better (in my experience).
Another tranny fluid that works well is NEO RHD.
Right now I'm running royal puprle 75w140 and it has been doing well. It shifts a little better than the redline combo also.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by travman
I wouldnt.....Your transmission will get notchy and hard to shift. Use BG or pennzoil synchromesh. I know DSM guys use heavy shockproof mixed with BG in there transmissions and it works well. Unless your going to be racing a lot I would just put straight BG or Penz synchro in it....
I hear shep himself likes this combo. 2 bottles of BG + 1 bottle of redline heavy shockproof
Old Sep 7, 2006, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Well AMS said thats the only oil they run in their trannys , just wanted to know if anyone else in running it , sounds like i should run the 2 bottles of BG and 1 of the redline lightweight .
Old Sep 7, 2006, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

i used redline in my 03 8 trans. and t/c and to make a long story short they were both replaced under warranty. Went to BG in trans and diaqueen in t/c and diff. after that and never a problem again. BTW i use BG II in my trans now with diaqueen in t/c and diffs. and everything is as smooth as butter with no noises at all. (06 BR350 IX # 005)
Old Sep 20, 2006, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

+1 on the NEO, used it in my last dsm with good results and its now in my Evo.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SiCKlEyWiKeD
I hear shep himself likes this combo. 2 bottles of BG + 1 bottle of redline heavy shockproof
I am very impressed with redline heavy and I have used it in my SE-R race car that has a very weak tranny. I have been thinking about using redline heavy in my Evo, but almost no one mentions it in the threads on Evom. This is the first time I have read about the recommendation of redline heavy and BG. What type of BG is recommended the BG II or regular BG?
Old Sep 20, 2006, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

Cool

May I point your attention to a similar thread we've been having on this topic in the motorsports area:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...1&page=1&pp=15

BTW with a Gear oil cooler setup I run: Tranny - 1 3/4qts Heavyweight, 2 qts MT-90, Transfercase and Rear Diff - 50/50 Heavyweight and 75/90 GL-5 This is with VERY regular changes...as often as after each race weekend based on percieved abuse.

Quick Reply: Redline lightweight shockproof ok for tranny ?