Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Car shakes at 75-80 MPH

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2006, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car shakes at 75-80 MPH

Pretty simple question, so i'm assuming a simple answer...

At above 75 miles per hour, the car starts shaking very, very lightly. So lightly that passengers barely notice it, if at all. However the wheel starts to shake pretty badly.

I'm thinking the wheels need to be balanced??
Old Jul 10, 2006, 01:05 AM
Evolving Member

yep...need to balance your wheels. check your tires too, especially if you've hit a pothole lately.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 01:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There are 3 direct factors that could cause that:

1) Your rims lost a weight
2) Your internal tire metal rings are broken(hitting a hole pot or a speed bump)

On a non ABS equipped car it could also be originated when locking the wheels under a hard stopping.

I have had all the above happened to me.

Carlos
Old Aug 14, 2006, 12:29 PM

Angry front end shake

my front end feels like it's going to shake off at about 65-75 mph, steering wheel shakes back and forth as well, but no bend in the rim. what up? i have extreme lancer lean to the driver's side in the front, could it be struts and springs? have already replaced the front lower control arms, front sway bar links, had tires rotated and alighned, and balanced twice till thery are now dead on, changed my plugs too. (thought maybe plugs causing vibration) still I 'm shaking like a branch in a hurricane. NEED HELP
Old Aug 14, 2006, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get an alignment and your wheels balanced.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

yeah. its either an allignment or balance problem. check to see if you have mudd or something on the inside of the wheel. that allways throws mine off in the winter.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 08:54 AM

Angry

it helps me out a lot if you READ MY POST BEFORE MAKING A REPLY... I already had my wheels balanced TWICE they are dead on balanced and had the alignment. the issue is still having the problem. if it was simply solved I never would have asked for HELP. thanx though.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

take it back to the shop you got them balanced at and tell them that last time they did it you had this problem. They should fix it for free.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Most tire shops dont spin the tires at 75mph when they are balancing them so they may be perfect when they are balancing them. I have the same problem when I get up to that speed but there is a cure, dont go that fast on the streets. You are not meant to go that fast on public roads and tire shops dont plan for you to so they really dont try to balance them that well because they dont have to.

Last edited by lancerman360; Aug 15, 2006 at 09:10 AM.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 09:57 AM

Angry

that is the most retarded, inbred, banging your sister while eating a mayonaise sandwich answer i have ever heard. you don't have to balance your wheels with a 75 mph spin. and the cure isn't slow down. I don't drive that fast on the city streets, but on the highyway yes. i have no problem on the city streets, but I drive for a living around 200 miles a day, and most is highyway. Something is wrong with my front end. It may be suspension, tie rods, or steering. but please don't pull stuff out of your **** if you don't know the answer, there is way too much of that on this site already.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 03:34 PM

Im pretty sure thats just the suspension. I have an es and you have an oz rally so it may be different, but my suspension isnt exactly top of the line. The strange thing for me is that it shakes at around 80 mph, but then feels fine at around 90... go figure
Old Aug 25, 2006, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Hey Judgedbyman, if you want an answer then start your own thread and let us all pour saline solution all over you because so far all you have done is prove to us that you are just a giant douche.

If its not a wheel balancing as you have so boldly stated, then F*ckin go get the car looked at. It sounds to me like someone who thinks their car shaking at 75mph is caused by plugs doesnt need to be working on his car in the first place. Go to a shop, have them figure it out, and spare us your headaches and bashing
Old Aug 25, 2006, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sicktght311
Hey Judgedbyman, if you want an answer then start your own thread and let us all pour saline solution all over you because so far all you have done is prove to us that you are just a giant douche.

If its not a wheel balancing as you have so boldly stated, then F*ckin go get the car looked at. It sounds to me like someone who thinks their car shaking at 75mph is caused by plugs doesnt need to be working on his car in the first place. Go to a shop, have them figure it out, and spare us your headaches and bashing
Plugs are not reccommended for radial type tires...BTW.

Wheel weights fall off! Having the tire rebalanced once a year is good maintanance for any car you drive. Just like checking your oil everytime you fill up.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

hey judged, maybe they were giving the original threadstarter that advice, not you. second, why would you say crap like that to people that are trying to help you out. heres some advice, loosen your lug nuts till they are almost off then drive your 200 miles tomorrow. save everyone some trouble.

now back to the point of the thread. i'd say align and balance. my new wheels were supposed to come balance so i just threw them on. they were really wobbly on the freeway seemed like i was on water, got them balanced and went for an alignment since i just installed springs and now everything is okay.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

it could also be tires btw. that happened to me one time, i ate off so much of the tires one time, the front tires were showing the steel braidings. if you have uneven tread, this would be a big factor too.

Quick Reply: Car shakes at 75-80 MPH