Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Evo's oil change with pics

Old Aug 5, 2006, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo's oil change with pics

I know that's a member already posted a oil change's how -to, but somehow all the pictures link are dead. Just in case someone may need assist with the oil change

So, I had decided to post my oil change here, just in case someone may need it.

here's what you need: Mitsubishi oil filter with washer *(recommened,but not nesscary), oil pan, and wrench with 17mm socket

1st step: Jack your car up and hold it with jack stand or whatever that's safe. It's also better do it when your car is warm, NOT BURNING HOT, easier for the oil to drain.

Once you get under your evo, located the oil drain plug(left @ the picture) which at the passanger side. And that's the oil filter(sn# GGB) next to the plug.

Closer look of the drain bolt.

2nd step: Now grab the wrech with 17mm socket on, unbolt the oil drain plug. CAUTION: HUGH amount of oil will rush out once the bolt is removed, recommened for using glove.* And put the drain plug away, we gonna need this later.

3rd step: Wait till the oil drip out slowly, now remove the oil filter. * You can use filter wrench if you have one, i just use hand to loosen it. It's abit too tight sometimes.* CAUTION: some pretty good amount of oil will rush out once the filter is removed too.

Now, let it drain for awhile, at the other hand, we get the filter and drain plug ready. Let the oil drain for awhile.

4th step: Remember the drain plug? Keep your eye on the crush washer. Sometime it's pushed all the way to the edge. Nail it out. (old one still on the plug and the new one should come with the filter)

Old washer had been taken off.

Insert the new washer into the plug.

Take the new oil filter out, that's a plastic cover on it that need to be removed.

cover removed.

5th step: After a period of time, oil not dripping anymore. It's about time we get back to the car. Do as the instruction said on the filter. Put a small amount of the oil on the gasket of the new filter.

'Oiled' the gasket.

6th step: Tighten the drain plug and the air filter. *Don't over tight both of them. CAUTION: the filter should go in very easily, while it stated concting the base, you can either tighten it 1/2-3/4 of a turn or torque to 124 +/-18 in-lbs (about 11 +/- 1 ft-lbs).

7th step: Start pouring new oil into you engine. It's should be around 4.7 quart, check dip stick until it reach 'max mark' CAUTION: Don't overfill your engine oil.

8th step: close the cap, and start your car, let the car run alittle, check for any oil leak, and also check the dip stick again, add oil to recommened level(owner manuel) if needed.

Last check and you're done.

I hope this little 'how - to' can help people when they needed it. I also posting this @ www.evolutionm.net and www.evosc.com.

p.s. sorry for the broken English lol

in case if the picture link is down, you can go to my cardomain page:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2131955/7

Last edited by Mr.Evilution; Sep 24, 2011 at 10:17 PM.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

Only thing I notice is you aren't using the proper oem filter
Old Aug 6, 2006, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

other than using the wrong oil filter and some spelling/grammar mistakes, thats a pretty good write up

i still use the original factory 10w30 mobil 1, not extended life and i change it every 3k miles
Old Aug 6, 2006, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its funny that he has the wrong oil filter on there...i have gone to the SAME dealership many times to pick up my filter and they insist on giving me that one...now instead of giving them the car info i just give them the oil filter number to make sure i get the right one...

Dont get me wrong though...the filter above works just fine...
Old Aug 6, 2006, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

what is the proper oil filter number is it in the manual....
Old Aug 6, 2006, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by alan678
Dont get me wrong though...the filter above works just fine...
Ouch!! almost scare the poop out of my butt.

By the way, what' the different on the filter?
Old Aug 7, 2006, 10:44 AM
Evolving Member

mind if i post this on socalevo.net?
Old Aug 7, 2006, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Yea, I was going to ask why his filter was so tall. Every time Ive gotten one from the dealer its the short one...
Old Aug 7, 2006, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Another step I usally add, is adding some oil in to the filter, prior to mounting. Helps with dry start up.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 11:08 AM
Evolving Member

the filter i get from the dealer is #mz690116
Old Aug 7, 2006, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by DruMMinStUd06
mind if i post this on socalevo.net?
As long as it's not for profit-making purpose. Yes.

and before you do that, would you mind tell me if you going to 'link' to this post or just copy this?

If it's link to this post, which is totally ok.

If you planning just copy this to socalevo.net for easy access for their members, that's two rules:

1. Please don't add or delete any text in the post. (Please understand that i had some real bad experience before)

2. Please respect my 'copyright' of this post. You still need to link this post's url which is : https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...81#post3349281 for reference. And need to copy the list parts: my email address, just in case someone else want to repost this to somewhere else.

I am so sorry for making it so much trouble for you, and i understand this really not like a 'WOW!!!' How-to', but as i said i had some bad experience b4, so i am truly appericate your great understanding.

thanks!

-Ray

p.s. If you planning to copy this forum, pm me your email address, i can copy the whole post with url code of the pictures etc. so it should save you some times!

Last edited by Mr.Evilution; Aug 7, 2006 at 07:57 PM.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 12:41 AM
Evolving Member

call me stupid...whats the rolling thing you lay on called? i need one of those...i tried looking it up at autozone...couldnt find it on their site.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 12:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mr.Evilution
As long as it's not for profit-making purpose. Yes.

and before you do that, would you mind tell me if you going to 'link' to this post or just copy this?

If it's link to this post, which is totally ok.

If you planning just copy this to socalevo.net for easy access for their members, that's two rules:

1. Please don't add or delete any text in the post. (Please understand that i had some real bad experience before)

2. Please respect my 'copyright' of this post. You still need to link this post's url which is : https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...81#post3349281 for reference. And need to copy the list parts: my email address, just in case someone else want to repost this to somewhere else.

I am so sorry for making it so much trouble for you, and i understand this really not like a 'WOW!!!' How-to', but as i said i had some bad experience b4, so i am truly appericate your great understanding.

thanks!

-Ray

p.s. If you planning to copy this forum, pm me your email address, i can copy the whole post with url code of the pictures etc. so it should save you some times!
i PMed you
Old Aug 8, 2006, 03:35 AM
Evolving Member

call me stupid...whats the rolling thing you lay on called? i need one of those...i tried looking it up at autozone...couldnt find it on their site.
I think it's called a creeper. One thing to remember about creepers: Remove them from under the car before you drive off. Don't ask how I know.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 07:53 PM

hahaha, you ask a chinese with no english like me to tell you what that's is??

j.k.

yup, it's call creeper. I found them got damn helpful for working under car!!!

I bought a whole set of 'jack, jackstands,creeper,wheels block' for a unbeatable price of under 30 buck at Pepboys, after rebeat.

here's the link: http://pepboys.shoplocal.com/pepboys...Boys-060801Fly

but since like they jack up the price alittle bit this week, oh well, look around and you may find good deal!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Evo's oil change with pics