Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Brake fluid leak after pad change

Old Jul 26, 2006, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake fluid leak after pad change

After I changed all my brake pads I noticed that there was brake fluid on the ground underneath the car. When I looked at the brake fluid resevoir, it was backed up all the way to the top (usually there was a little space). I had kept the cap on per the instructions I used when changing the pads.

I wiped the brake fluid off that was dripping underneath the car and I didn't notice any leaks. I pushed the brake pedal in to return the brake caliper pistons to the regular position, but the brake fluid level was still all the way to the top of the resevoir.

I bled the brakes, then went to the track, but my brakes were not stopping me as well as before. I am wondering if there is still some air in the lines and also where did the brake fluid that was underneath my car come from?
Old Jul 26, 2006, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

its because all of the fluid in the calipers got pushed back out and pushed back into the reservoir. mine did the same.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 09:22 AM
Former Vendor

you had to much fluid in there.. you prob. put fluid in there before you changed your brakes.. if you didnt bleed them properly, then there will be air in the now.. or you didnt bed the brakes in good, or there not the best pads.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

The fluid was just extra from the reservoir. This is normal when you push the pistons back even more so if anyone ever topped off the brake fluid. You wont have any air in the system unless you removed a hose or opened the system somehow. New pads dont brake as well until they are bedded in so thats probably all you are feeling.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

to bed them you should do about 7, 80 to 5mph braking (not to hard) and then let them cool and they should be good.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 09:27 AM

Thanks. I was wondering how the fluid got underneath the car. Wouldn't pushing the pistons in just force the brake fluid out through the brake fluid resevoir? The brake fluid level was just to the max line before I changed the pads and I didn't add any before changing them.