Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Wastegate vacuum line question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2006, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wastegate vacuum line question

Hey guys,

I am having a little bit of a problem. After looking around at the vacuum lines to see how I should install my MBC (which will now go on the 7th of July right after I get my gauges installed) I noticed that the way my wastegate was connected was a little different than how the vacuum diagram on the underside of the hood shows.

First off, I am the 3rd owner of this car, and I did not personally do this...

That being said, I noticed that there was a vacuum line coming from the air intake hose that was connected directly to the wastegate. There was a "T" before the wastegate, but the other line coming off from the T had a bolt in it, blocking it off. I know that the CORRECT way was to have the line from the air intake hose to a boost control solenoid (which I cannot find...it's not on this car anymore), then to the wastegate and to a line on the turbo (which is also not connected anymore, and I CAN NOT find the nipple or whatever that is supposed to be there...I can not see it anywhere on the intake side of the turbo, and I've felt all the way around it, too).

So, in preparation for the new MBC I capped off the nipple on the air intake hose, then cut the line going to the blow-off valve, inserted a "T" and ran that directly to the wastegate.

Now, I just want to make sure that this will be OK until the 7th. I do not beat on my car, and usually only drive to work and back (5 miles). I did test it out once after I connected everything up again, and noticed I am getting noticeably less power than before. I remember reading somewhere that the stock wastegate has an 11psi spring, so I'm assuming that's all that I'm seeing...is this correct, or am I way off here?

Thanks for the insight

Tyler
Old Jun 21, 2006, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

yes you are only seeing around 11psi if the lines are not installed correctly or your not using the stock vacum lines. here is a link i quickly found, within it has some drawings of the proper routing of stock lines as well as when you hook up the mbc.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ht=mbc+install
Old Jun 21, 2006, 09:00 PM
Evolving Member

ok, that's what I thought...oh well, better than too much psi
Old Jun 21, 2006, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

youll be loving your car all over again when you get the mbc installed and are back to 19.5 psi
Old Jun 21, 2006, 09:24 PM
Evolving Member

I sure hope so...I'm getting a suspected exhaust leak fixed that day, too (in the turbo/manifold area) so hopefully it'll be even quicker.