Notices
04-06 Lancer Ralliart Show & Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Something to stick plastic to plastic?

Old May 13, 2006, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something to stick plastic to plastic?

I need to permenantly stick a piece of plastic to another piece of plastic. What do you guys reccomend? Would bondo work? I dont even know what bondo is. Or some kind of glue maybe?

Thanks.
Old May 13, 2006, 01:10 PM

Gorilla Glue would work good i think
Old May 13, 2006, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

no dont use bondo. super glue, gorrila glue should work if used properly
Old May 13, 2006, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ralli04Art
no dont use bondo. super glue, gorrila glue should work if used properly
Thanks guys! How do you mean if used properly? I also need it to stay stuck on even in very cold weather in the winter. Thanks.
Old May 13, 2006, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Go get an epoxy. The stuff that sets in 5 minutes is very good (compared to what it used to be) and the tensile strength on some of the "quick set" epoxies is better than some of the traditional "long set" epoxies. Epoxy will be all weather and all temp (ok, all temps that you'll find on the surface of Earth and are generally rated up to 300*F). I use the stuff that comes in the double syringe because it tends to give more equal mixing. you may need to rough the surfaces up a little with some 400 grit sandpaper

Super glues work on plastic by melting the surfaces and as the accelerant evaporates the puddles stick together. Some harder plastics will shed this melted layer, which makes the super glues useless.
Old May 13, 2006, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Alchemist
Go get an epoxy. The stuff that sets in 5 minutes is very good (compared to what it used to be) and the tensile strength on some of the "quick set" epoxies is better than some of the traditional "long set" epoxies. Epoxy will be all weather and all temp (ok, all temps that you'll find on the surface of Earth and are generally rated up to 300*F). I use the stuff that comes in the double syringe because it tends to give more equal mixing. you may need to rough the surfaces up a little with some 400 grit sandpaper

Super glues work on plastic by melting the surfaces and as the accelerant evaporates the puddles stick together. Some harder plastics will shed this melted layer, which makes the super glues useless.
With a name like Alchemist maybe we can trust you?

I've had nothing but trouble with epoxy.... I never mix it right
Old May 13, 2006, 03:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Alchemist

I already bought the gorilla glue and it is already clamped. Hope it works. I did not sand it first. That sounds like it would have been a good idea.
Old May 13, 2006, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Adam- start by laying down the resin and then add the hardener. Getting the proper 50/50 mix gives the hardest epoxy, but even a little hardener will make the resin set.... and that's why it's a good idea to put the resin on your mixing surface first- if you start with hardener and add the resin and the resin tube accidentally touches the hardener puddle it could harden the entire tube of resin (depends on the strength of the hardener).

That's another reason I use the double syringes, you get better mixes because you're pushing both syringes at the same time.

Ralli- I hope the gorilla works. If not, that's a good excuse to sand the surface down and start over
Old May 13, 2006, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Duct tape!!
Nah kidding. What plastic to plastic are you doing?
Epoxy is great but if its something that doesn't need to be particularly permanent or is on the interior of the car there are some really good types of double sided tape.
But something taking some weather/heat/wind-speed etc. I agree on the epoxy
Old May 13, 2006, 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

Is that Gorilla glue good or what? Its not something I can google you know
Old May 13, 2006, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

If you're sticking anyother plastic together, most glues work.

However, if you're trying to stick PE to PE (or to anything else, for that matter) then it's going to be difficult 'cos PE doesn't stick to anything. No, really. Forget commercials, call up Loctite if you want. You can try stuff like Loctite 604, and so forth, but that will only hold it in place and will snap off if you pull on it.

Joining PE is an industrial thing. Basically, you need to 'weld' it, using a PE 'welding line' which is a strip shaped like the weld you're going to make. Scrape the surface clean (with a sharp knife or something) then lay the weld line down with a heated head. It's very invlved, but it's basically the only way of joining PE parts together.
Old May 13, 2006, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
i'd get botht he plastic clean very good w/ some alcohol then use some gorilla glue or any heavy duty glue will work. but the main thing is getting the plastics clean very good.
Old May 14, 2006, 08:02 AM
Evolving Member

not to hijack this thread...but to add on to the original question..how about if it's from plastic to metal? what glue/material would be recommended?
Old May 14, 2006, 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MitsuLancerTO
not to hijack this thread...but to add on to the original question..how about if it's from plastic to metal? what glue/material would be recommended?
You gotta go with Epoxy for that. The longer it takes to cure the better it will hold. 5 minute epoxy is not the strongest stuff. They actually have very strong epoxies at the auto parts stores, like Autozone, Checkers, etc.
There are some super strong epoxies that take 24 hours to cure, but you wont find those at a retail store.