Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

blue flames from my exhaust, WTF

Old May 7, 2006, 12:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
blue flames from my exhaust, WTF

I am confused . Can someone smart explain me how come my car is shooting blue flames from my exhaust when reving high on agresive driving?

Here is the catch, the flames are not instantaneous they are long and they last. My lady(Evo9grl) was trying to catch up with me and she swears up and down that my car was putting blue(not orange or yellow) flames.. can someone explain me that? Oh yeah, this happened at midnight also so the flames are much better visible.

I just got retune by Al, and I am running a number #10 nozzle with methanol and a lot a lot of boost. Any thoughts? are blue flames indication of a much lesser exhaust gases temp or what?

Thanks!!

Carlos
Attached Thumbnails blue flames from my exhaust, WTF-img_0257.jpg  

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; May 7, 2006 at 12:42 AM.
Old May 7, 2006, 01:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When is this happening? During shifts, decelerating, accelerating, or while you are cruising?
Old May 7, 2006, 01:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
flames from your exhaust during acceleration is strange. normally flames occur on decel due to too much fuel on the low load portion of the map.

im guessing that you might have a slight misfire, or that the methanol isnt completely burned inside the combustion chamber and continues out your exhaust pipe. i'd try gapping your plugs lower if they arent already done so or upgrading your ignition.
Old May 7, 2006, 01:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
get a retune.......your running super rich. Unless you have an Alky line hooked into your exhaust
Old May 7, 2006, 05:16 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
. . . my car was putting blue(not orange or yellow) flames.. can someone explain me that?
Alcohol injection (with lots of unburned alcohol) and no cat.
Old May 7, 2006, 05:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Roads? where we're going we don't need roads

Seriously though, it's alot of boost, it's normal for higher hp leverls even if tuned well..My rx7 had the same blue flames but that exhaust was HOT HOT..
Old May 7, 2006, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does the car seem to running fine? It is probably the car running uber rich w/ the alky.

On a side note, did you notice a power difference getting tuned on the #10 nozzle over the #7 nozzle? Are you running more boost than before?
Old May 7, 2006, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Creamo3
Does the car seem to running fine? It is probably the car running uber rich w/ the alky.

On a side note, did you notice a power difference getting tuned on the #10 nozzle over the #7 nozzle? Are you running more boost than before?
Got an extra 8whp with 4 psi less of boost.I only ran a 24psi.

Carlos
Old May 7, 2006, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by South Side Evo
When is this happening? During shifts, decelerating, accelerating, or while you are cruising?
Driving hard to the red line, more like in the most upper ranmge of rpms. It lits up when shifting to the next gesar after reving high.

The car drives fine, faster than ever but yes indeed , I think I am putting too much methanol and perhaps I am running a bit rich.

have you guys seen the boot I am running on stock turbo? absolutely no knock.

Carlos
Old May 8, 2006, 05:46 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
It lits up when shifting to the next gesar after reving high.
That's because the instant you let off the throttle, there is a surge of unburned fuel that is making its way through the exhaust, and combusts the instant it reaches suffucient oxygen.
Old May 8, 2006, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
. With that much boost you are going to break something sooner or later. Blue because it’s burning on the way out while it’s exiting the exhaust. Your exhaust is lighting up the Alky
Old May 8, 2006, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
wow i didnt think the defi gauge would go over 30 psi. it hasnt broken? also the volumetric efficency of the stocker is around 26 pounds. so ya you have no knock cause you have enough(or in your case more then enough)fuel and the right amount of timing. after 26psi you are just blowing hot air. it makes some power but not as much as a turbo in its efficency range
Old May 8, 2006, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by raiceboi697
wow i didnt think the defi gauge would go over 30 psi. it hasnt broken? also the volumetric efficency of the stocker is around 26 pounds. so ya you have no knock cause you have enough(or in your case more then enough)fuel and the right amount of timing. after 26psi you are just blowing hot air. it makes some power but not as much as a turbo in its efficency range
Yes, you are right and all. But numbers don't lie. I see almost 50 more ft lb of TQ(over 25-16PSI) if I let it spike to 30 PSI :P