Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Weird scraping noise from Engine or under the car(?) HELP~

Old Mar 20, 2006, 01:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird scraping noise from Engine or under the car(?) HELP~

During slow speeds or coming to stop I can hear some kind of scraping sound near by engine(?) or under the car. Noise only occurs when decelerating, when I step on the gas VERY lightly at around 2000-3000rpm. It sounds like something is loose or rub against other metal. I checked under the car and suspension but all seems fine. I even replaced my high-flow cat to factory OEM cat, guessing that might be the problem, well it wasn't.
Has anyone heard similar noises coming from the engine area when decelerating?
Could it be BOV? or Throttle body?

My current mods are: Forge MBC, MR BOV, Upper inter cooler pipe, K&N drop-in filter, HKS down pipe, Fujitsub cat back.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 01:18 PM
Evolving Member

Maybe your downpipe is loose on your o2 housing? Just another thing to check....
Old Mar 20, 2006, 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

dude... its an evo... unless my car breaks down im not worried about noises...
Old Mar 20, 2006, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

yea I've got a weird sound going slow in that RPM range but its more of a knocking noise, im not too worried because the car still runs perfect.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 01:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I heard the same kind of noise on my IX when I had about 100 miles on her. It sounded like a stick was stuck under the car and scraping on the ground. It went away and to this day I cannot replicate it. I will just blame it on rust on the rear brake rotors... But this is just an assumption to make me feel better.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by djscoto
I heard the same kind of noise on my IX when I had about 100 miles on her. It sounded like a stick was stuck under the car and scraping on the ground. It went away and to this day I cannot replicate it. I will just blame it on rust on the rear brake rotors... But this is just an assumption to make me feel better.

hehe
Old Mar 20, 2006, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Or it could be something caught in your brakes. You could try raising each corner and rotating each wheel by hand, one by one.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rod Munch
Or it could be something caught in your brakes. You could try raising each corner and rotating each wheel by hand, one by one.
Very good suggestion
Old Mar 20, 2006, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mybada
During slow speeds or coming to stop I can hear some kind of scraping sound near by engine(?) or under the car. Noise only occurs when decelerating, when I step on the gas VERY lightly at around 2000-3000rpm. It sounds like something is loose or rub against other metal. I checked under the car and suspension but all seems fine. I even replaced my high-flow cat to factory OEM cat, guessing that might be the problem, well it wasn't.
Has anyone heard similar noises coming from the engine area when decelerating?
Could it be BOV? or Throttle body?

My current mods are: Forge MBC, MR BOV, Upper inter cooler pipe, K&N drop-in filter, HKS down pipe, Fujitsub cat back.
My car is making the same sound. Metal on metal scraping, most audible when decelerating, coming from under car, etc. The sound goes away when i push in the clutch. I don't want to say its your t-case for sure, but be prepared. When i described the sound to Shepherd he said the ring & pinion are shot.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 02:55 PM
Evolving Member

wow, looks like I'm not the only one!
I'm not really sure if it's anything to do with ring & pinion cuz it only makes noise in between 2000-3000rpm when decelerating.
I'm gonna check the brake tonight and will post the result.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

wow, looks like I'm not the only one!
I'm not really sure if it's anything to do with ring & pinion cuz it only makes noise in between 2000-3000rpm when decelerating.
I'm gonna check the brake tonight and will post the result.
While accelerating and decelerating, I can only hear the noise at lower rpms. Mainly because at higher rpms the engine is louder and drowns it out. But its there. Does the sound go away when you push in the clutch pedal? How about when braking? Does it get louder, quieter, no change at all?
Old Mar 20, 2006, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by twinscrewed
While accelerating and decelerating, I can only hear the noise at lower rpms. Mainly because at higher rpms the engine is louder and drowns it out. But its there. Does the sound go away when you push in the clutch pedal? How about when braking? Does it get louder, quieter, no change at all?
On mine, noise is not heard when accelerating, it occurs only when decelerating only at certain RPM range (2000 - 3000rpm)
When I push in the clutch pedal or when I brake, the noise seems go away because that will get me out of 2000-3000rpm range in most cases. When gear is neutral, there's no noise even at 2000-3000rpm range.
This noise drives me crazy....
Old Mar 20, 2006, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
is it when you barely have your foot on the gas?
Old Mar 20, 2006, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

It's not your brakes if putting it in neutral makes the noise disappear.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

On mine, noise is not heard when accelerating, it occurs only when decelerating only at certain RPM range (2000 - 3000rpm)
When I push in the clutch pedal or when I brake, the noise seems go away because that will get me out of 2000-3000rpm range in most cases. When gear is neutral, there's no noise even at 2000-3000rpm range.
This noise drives me crazy....
I know what you mean. I hate it too. Makes me cringe. Next time you go out get the car into 5th and bring it to around 2800-3000 rpms. Let off the throttle, but do not brake. If you hear the noise, push in the clutch and see if it goes away. Like yours, mine will not make the sound at all with the clutch disengaged or if I put it in neutral while coasting.

If it turns out not being your brakes, give Shepherd or TRE a call and explain whats happening. You should get a more definitive answer from them then you will get on here.

If I go out tonight i'm going to try to make a recording of the sound. My camera should pick it up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weird scraping noise from Engine or under the car(?) HELP~