Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

HKS SSQBOV VS. Greddy Type s

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2003, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HKS SSQBOV VS. Greddy Type s

Personaly i like the HKS BOV better. However, i just want to get other people's opinions on the HKS SSQBOV and the Greddy type s. I am willing to have an open mind. thanks
Old May 20, 2003, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

Greddy Type-S is the way i went because it can be recirculated back into the intake.. otherwise you will have drivability issues..

-Zach
Old May 20, 2003, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

you can also get a tube to make the HKS recirculate back into the intake also.. it depends on what sound you like better.. its all the same
Old May 20, 2003, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

Well, in that case choose whichever you prefer.. But i would still recomend recirculating it.

-Zach
Old May 20, 2003, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

thanks.....i know how compressor bypass valves work (recirculate) but can you still here it blow off even though it isnt venting it? Would you need to take off the stock air box and replace it with and intake or a air filter to hear it?
Old May 20, 2003, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Greddy Type-S is the way i went because it can be recirculated back into the intake.. otherwise you will have drivability issues..
That is totally untrue. I installed a SSQV Evo 7kit which reroutes the BOV and its a VTA BOV. No drivability issues expect for teh loud pshhhhhhhhhh!

Post on my SSQV, Vid Clips Inside
Old May 20, 2003, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

really, im getting bogging and close to stalling sometimes also....

-shahul
Old May 20, 2003, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

I dunno waht to say.....but this kit was made for an evo 7 whcih is almost teh same for teh evo8. Im sure HKS has done enough reseach to market a VTA BOV even though stock one is a recirc.. I have no idling issues or stalling issues. I dunno what is the difference between my BOV VTA vs allteh others out there. I knowyou have to plug the stock intake where the BOV sat (came wit something to plug it) and and routes teh BOV to the upper IC pipe. Almost all BOV and eitehr welded or attached to the IC pipes and not intake.
Old May 20, 2003, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

I was jsut thinking if VTA from the intake rather than VTA from IC pipes be causing the drivability issues?
Old May 20, 2003, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

I garrenty it causes issues.. Learn how a MAF based ems works..

IT should only cause real problems when you blow off at high boost and let it drop to idle.. and it may bog a little between shifts too..

And i can hear mine just fine, because i have an intake.. actually the stock one is loud as hell with just an intake..

Check out the bucher one.. seems to be the best bang for the buck currently.
Old May 21, 2003, 12:47 AM
Evolved Member

im getting the hks to recirculate soon....hope it helps

-Shahul
Old May 21, 2003, 01:59 AM
In Timeout

ok... here are a few things u guys should keep in mind... parts for the evoVII do NOT i repeat do NOT fit perfectly with our cars... therefore.... u WILL..... i repeat... u WILL experience problems with it... HKS themselves said there SS BO for the EVOVII will NOT work for the VIII.... and they are currently working on it so it will... now... i kno some of u can get custom jobs to make it "work" from some tuner shopz n all.... but u think these tuner shopz know what they are doing with a HKS BO better than HKS themselves? highly doubtful....the reason some of yall are getting some bogging and is bcuz your blowoff valve doesnt perfectly fit your car... air is probably seepin out to some level... y not wait for parts that are actually perfectly made to fit just our cars... would b the smarter thing to do... thats what im doing and thats why i am waiting for hks to bring out their products for the VIII NOT the VII... BO and a few other parts should be out within a month at least thats what hks told me
Old May 21, 2003, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by ChillinEvoVIII
ok... here are a few things u guys should keep in mind... parts for the evoVII do NOT i repeat do NOT fit perfectly with our cars... therefore.... u WILL..... i repeat... u WILL experience problems with it... HKS themselves said there SS BO for the EVOVII will NOT work for the VIII.... and they are currently working on it so it will... now... i kno some of u can get custom jobs to make it "work" from some tuner shopz n all.... but u think these tuner shopz know what they are doing with a HKS BO better than HKS themselves? highly doubtful....the reason some of yall are getting some bogging and is bcuz your blowoff valve doesnt perfectly fit your car... air is probably seepin out to some level... y not wait for parts that are actually perfectly made to fit just our cars... would b the smarter thing to do... thats what im doing and thats why i am waiting for hks to bring out their products for the VIII NOT the VII... BO and a few other parts should be out within a month at least thats what hks told me

Quite makeing crap up.. You are just speculating..

I have a Type-S /w a 2nd gen DSM adapter and it fits perfectly.. I have it connected to a vacuum source behind the TB and one from the turbo outlet.. It actuates perfectly..

As for the venting to atmosphere it DOES cause the car to run rich between shifts if shifted when in boost..

MAF base cars calculate how much air has entered the system. if you vent some of that air out, then the car will run rich..

MAP based EMS calculate by manifold pressure in psi. so venting off air has no effect on this.

the EVO is a MAF based EMS.

EMS==Engine Management System
MAP==Manifold Absolute Pressure
MAF==Mass Air Flow

-Zach
Old May 21, 2003, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by zyounker

Quite makeing crap up.. You are just speculating..

I have a Type-S /w a 2nd gen DSM adapter and it fits perfectly.. I have it connected to a vacuum source behind the TB and one from the turbo outlet.. It actuates perfectly..

As for the venting to atmosphere it DOES cause the car to run rich between shifts if shifted when in boost..

MAF base cars calculate how much air has entered the system. if you vent some of that air out, then the car will run rich..

MAP based EMS calculate by manifold pressure in psi. so venting off air has no effect on this.

the EVO is a MAF based EMS.

EMS==Engine Management System
MAP==Manifold Absolute Pressure
MAF==Mass Air Flow

-Zach

Good info and well said. So which BOV or DV valves are out there that are specifically made for the EVO VIII?
Old May 21, 2003, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by 6one9EVO

Good info and well said. So which BOV or DV valves are out there that are specifically made for the EVO VIII?

Well, I would look at the forge motorsports diverter valve (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=23414)
it is ~150 and is a forged stock replacement from my understanding..

I am using the greddy type-s with a 2nd gen dsm adapter and it is working well..

People say the hks one needs modified a little, so if you are not capable of that i would stay clear..

Those are the only ones i know anything about right now, but i am sure there are others.

-Zach

Last edited by zyounker; May 21, 2003 at 10:35 AM.

Quick Reply: HKS SSQBOV VS. Greddy Type s