Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Purge Valve in Gas Tank??

Old Aug 2, 2005, 06:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Purge Valve in Gas Tank??

I recently had my service engine soon light come on. I had Autozone check it quickly and it sprung a P0441 code saying: The PCM has determined that the purge flow in the evaporative emission control system is incorrect for the current engine operating conditions. Here's a list of mods that I could think of that could possibly sound related: K&N Typhoon SR intake, plugs, wires, new cap and rotor, just put gas in my car today so gas cap? Help out please...anyone.
thanks
eric
Old Aug 2, 2005, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

it could be your gas cap actually but im assuming that you have checked that. What do you mean by new cap under your mods sections?
Old Aug 2, 2005, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

bad gas or gas cap not tight? Check that first.. next, move onto the spark plugs you just put in.. maybe its not getting proper fuel burn or something. Check the gaps on the plugs. More info on those would help us figure out the problem. But the emissions control system I think is at the back end of the car under the bumper on drivers side. (black battery looking thing). Thats why I think it might be your gas cap isn't tight. (has to do with gas fumes and pressure not properly evaporating into the emissions system and just escaping to the atmosphere thru the gas cap seal) --just an off the wall guess though.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 06:58 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by headingnowhere
new cap and rotor
what? what are you talking about?
The following users liked this post:
VR4Babe13 (Dec 24, 2018)
Old Aug 2, 2005, 07:24 AM

cap and rotor meaning distributor cap and rotor, you know, the ingnition system.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 07:27 AM
Account Disabled

heh, you sure your looking at the right car and not your old chevelle or something? we don't have those, we have a distributorless ignition system using coil packs

but i do find it hilarious you said you replaced something that isn't even on our car, so pray thee tell, what did you do?
Old Aug 2, 2005, 08:23 AM

Wow, green psycho. You are so sweet. That was my old chevelle or something. thanks for answering my question about a purge valve in the gas tank. You've helped so much. Now that I have been reprimanded by Green Psycho I now know what I'm looking at. Thanks for blessing me with your guidance! 1,000 and some posts? WOW. I'm just a baby.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 08:32 AM
Account Disabled

look here bernaise, don't get saucy with me. if you asked, 'do we have a cap and rotor?' i'd be more receptive, however, you came out and said 'i replaced the cap and rotor' which is just a blatant lie
Old Aug 2, 2005, 08:42 AM

i'm not saucy. i just don't like your tone. when I buy a car my dad "tunes it up" for me (as he has done with my last 4 cars). Just strictly a plug, wire, cap and rotor and fluid kinda thing (that all 4 of my last cars had). Easy stuff. He did that to my lancer but I'm taking a wild guess here and saying that he didn't replace my non existant cap and rotor. My mistake, so shoot me in the face. Besides, not just old chevelles have a distributor system. Shoot me in the head again if I'm wrong but my 92 MITSUBISHI Diamante had one.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 08:46 AM

So now that the banter is over could you actually help with the purge valve deal or not?
Old Aug 2, 2005, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Could be 1 of 3 vaccum switching valves ( VSV ) that are bad.

Tank by-pass valve---I don't think it's this one. usually sets a P0446.

Canister control valve

Evap purge valve.---I'm leaning towards this one. not 100% though.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

You're having a vacuum problem near the intake manifold. I had the same thing for a while when I had my timing messed up (I think poor combustion was effing up the signal).

It's possible that a hose got knocked loose while pops was replacing the plugs. There are a lot of them over there and it's not impossible to just knock one loose. It could be the hose that's supposed to go to your intake. but I'd check for loose hoses after I checked the gascap.

next- are you sure dad bought the right plugs? Are you sure he plugged the coilpacks back in AND the two plug wires into the packs?

Now, you need to chill. It shouldn't be any injury to your ego to have someone ask you why you'd say you changed a non-existant part on this car. your 92 Diamante may have had a distributor, but this is your Lancer.

I'll recommend a good long read in the tech forums.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 04:40 PM
Evolving Member

i think the cap and rotor is the problem hahahahaahahhahahahaahaand then you tried to have it out with greenpsycho must be a newbie
Old Aug 4, 2005, 01:11 PM

Thank you nad for some actual help. As far as green psycho or anyone else, I don't care who the eff you are. You don't get wise and cocky with someone even if they have no idea what they are talking about. It's just good sumaritanship.

thanks
Old Aug 4, 2005, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Go back to autozone tell them to erase the code and see if it comes back up it might just be a faulty sensor or something thats why i never trust the codes the first time

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Purge Valve in Gas Tank??