Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

2009 Ralliart- Product Cannibalism or a smart buy?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2008, 08:55 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 Ralliart- Product Cannibalism or a smart buy?

I'm sitting here wondering exactly what Mitsubishi was thinking. It seemed like a great idea; 24k and most definitely a WRX beater. With sticker prices showing up on the forum in the 30k area I'm certain now that this has become yet another bad decision by Mitsubishi. For experimentation purposes I priced an EVO X GSR on the Mitsubishi website- 32k. That's with Aero, no trade in. For two thousand dollars more than a Ralliart one can buy an Evo.

The strange thing here is that the Ralliart seems to be a great car. It's basically a new Evo 9, active diffs, new motor, new styling and the new gearbox, which defies logic. Why put the expensive gearbox in the cheap car? Give it the 5 speed from the old car!

Anyway I'm completely confused. A loss leader followed up by a car that will cannibalize it's sales. Why does Mitsubishi sell the Colt and other small displacement turbo cars that are cheaper and most definitely attractive to young owners in other countries but not here? It would fill the price point perfectly.

I would buy a 2wd turbo hatchback that cost under 20k. That should be easily doable if I can get a paddle shift, active diff car for 24, or er... 30.

What about electric cars? Mitsubishi is completely missing the trend over here. They have a hell of a good selection of enviro-cars in Japan with more style and cutting edge technology. We get a Galant rental car and two virtually identical sport sedans and a host of fleet cars with transparent and boring designs.

Mitsubishi Miev-

Can someone explain how this product lineup answers the US demand for cars?
Old Sep 27, 2008, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who ever suggested this would be a $24,000 car?
Old Sep 27, 2008, 09:12 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will agree about the five speed, it would be a nice option to have immediately. However, I would rather pay a little more for a car I am more familiar with (on 3rd lancer currently) instead of some base model hatch that feels more like an econo box than a sporty car (ref WRX 08-09). I will also add that pricing varies for different areas of the country, it is a serious pain to get an EVO at a decent price in my area, especially with trade whereas someone in Cali could pretty much get an EVO or Ralliart at cost.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 05:09 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by hibby
Who ever suggested this would be a $24,000 car?
Edmonds, Automobile mag (said 26k), Popular mechanics said 26k,

All the others said priced to compete with the WRX, which is 24.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bimmubishi
priced to compete with the WRX, which is 24.
Except that it's actually $25,500 for '09.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 07:50 AM
Account Disabled

Let's not cut hairs over $1000. The point remains. They are closely specified and closely priced. One could draw comparisons about how the WRX and STI are also closely priced but the release was different and the sales numbers are drastically different which shows that the market was ready to accept the STI after the WRX had been around for 2 years.

This is not only backwards in that the high end model came out first, but the car's specification steps on it's big brother's toes- engine, gearbox, differentials..
Old Sep 28, 2008, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hibby
Except that it's actually $25,500 for '09.
^^A fully loaded WRX isn't exactly cheap either.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the ralliart is overpriced. EVO GSR's are being sold as low as 28k for the base, 30k for aero, and 32k for aero and nav. it makes no sense to pay 30k for a ralliart.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

^ X100 Unless they whack 2-3k off them also.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 04:30 PM
Evolving Member

+1
poor mitsubishi, the only good car they have and they blow it, plus they akllow their stealer to overprice it.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 04:59 PM
Account Disabled

The problem as I see it-

The Evo GSR isn't exactly a huge mover off the sales floor. The numbers are low. We all love it but America hasn't embraced it the way they did the WRX- call it the advantage of being first to market and having a strong advertising campaign.

Anyway, the Evo will now be losing sales to it's little brother and it can't afford that. Mitsu can't afford that. One taking from the other with only a couple or 3 grand difference in between.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 05:05 PM
Evolving Member

I believe that once South Coast Mitsubishi gets the RA in, they will be cheaper than 30k for us here in SoCal 27/28k
Old Sep 28, 2008, 05:09 PM
Account Disabled

I think that they really have kept it loaded at 24k. That would probably mean no active diffs, no paddle shift and what would probably do it. All it really needs is a rear plate LSD and it would be a WRX beater anyway.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 05:15 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Bimmubishi
I think that they really have kept it loaded at 24k. That would probably mean no active diffs, no paddle shift and what would probably do it. All it really needs is a rear plate LSD and it would be a WRX beater anyway.

why would they make it loaded for 24? the lancer GTS is 24k fully loaded...wouldnt make sense at all...its not possible at this point for mitsu to make a good price for it....make it too high hit evos..make it too low..hit GTS's .
Old Sep 28, 2008, 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

I think we'll be seeing RAs w/ Recaro pkg for around $27k soon enough. I think it was actually already seen at this price in another thread.

Quick Reply: 2009 Ralliart- Product Cannibalism or a smart buy?