Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo Car PC, Need some Assistance in Chicago Area.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2005, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo Car PC, Need some Assistance in Chicago Area.

Sucks after waiting all this time for my Evo 9 DIN from japan I finally got it and my installer just decided that his shop will no longer do custom work. He's burned out. Sucks because I know he was good.

Here are some pictures of my project. It is completely finished except that I need to find someone that know's about electrical wiring and installing radios/dvd system/navigational systems.

Here are some pictures for you guys.

And one of my inventions to keep the hardrive safe from a harsh Ride.

As you guys already know the Evo 8 Looks like this when you remove the silver FACE DIN

The task is to Find a way to lower those HVAC controls to the lower DIN. Connecting the PC isn't that hard I have all the diagrams that I need. I just don't feel comfortable takign it apart my car's center console , I rather leave it to a professional.

Now I know that this is hardly done but if anyone knows a truly skilled professional that is willing to help me with this project I would more than gladly appreciate it. I prefer a shop as I feel better seeing pictures of their previous work. If they want I can even cut a deal with them. I wouldn't mind making a small business venture out of this.. Building car PC's and just leave the installations with them.

As of now The PC is fully functional all that I need is an installation into my car.

This is what A CAR PC can do incase others inquired.

Entire MP3 Collection at your finger tips Via a touch Screen.
MPG videos can be played as well as DVD's.
My system comes with Co-pilot 8 Navigational system.
Wireless LAN connectivity for internet
Centrafuse frontend also merging all other operations seamelessly together.
Weather reports on the fly, Traffic reports on the fly.
Live recording from a Camera connected to my USB onboard the Car, for racing videos.
You can even map and control your ECU similar to a laptop used for tuning.
My Cell phone is also integrated in this systems with a MIC for true hands free phone usage.
And a Mini keyboard tucked under my seat for faster typing access.. the list can go on- and on. I even am thinking of buying a G-Force Kit that monitors the G forces in the car and is a killer monitor for tweaking Autocross driving.

Thanks for anyone with good advice on where I can complete
Old Apr 26, 2005, 06:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this isn't a shop, but I think this is what you are asking for. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=134933

Where are you located btw?
Old Apr 26, 2005, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

that is toooo ****in cool!

how much does something like that run u?
Old Apr 26, 2005, 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

You are a Genius Healthynine.. That is exactly what I'm looking for.. Is there Anyone in the Chicago Area that can help me with this mod.. I'll try to PM that guy and see if he can assist.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

The cost.. so far has been about 1,200.. And that's including alot of things the most costly was actually Co-Pilot live 8 that was about 300$ just for the software, but I tested it on my laptop and it's definately worth it. If this works out well I might start a little business doing this.. For now I'm just looking for an installer.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 06:26 PM
Evolving Member

I'm hardly a truly skilled professional, but depending where around chicago you are, I would possibly be interested in helping
Old Apr 26, 2005, 07:14 PM
Evolving Member

thats tyte man...jw...y didnt u go with a pop out screen?? its much safer and they are available in touch screen as well for bout 300...also i'd recommend that u test that hard drive between the sponges...u kno it'll get really hot cuz theres no air flow...but then again i guess u have already done that...just my .02
Old Apr 26, 2005, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

that is so awesome. some finish installed pix would be cool
Old Apr 26, 2005, 07:22 PM
Account Disabled

SWEET
Old Apr 26, 2005, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by xtreme571
thats tyte man...jw...y didnt u go with a pop out screen?? its much safer and they are available in touch screen as well for bout 300...also i'd recommend that u test that hard drive between the sponges...u kno it'll get really hot cuz theres no air flow...but then again i guess u have already done that...just my .02
He is right, that drive won't last long like that. The spindle bearing will get too hot.
What you really need is some flexible rubber mounts. It will also receive the least shock in the center of the car. Ever notice CD players don't skip in dash but changers do. It's placement in the vehicle and most changers are poorly mounted.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

God I Want One!
Old Apr 26, 2005, 07:35 PM

you might try these guys:

Sound Decision

1470 Douglas Rd
Montgomery, IL 60538-1650 Phone: (630) 966-9696

They do lots of custom work that has been featured in magazines.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

do you have shut down the pc everytime u turn off your car?.......are you just running xp or is that a dual boot set up?
Old Apr 26, 2005, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

I do lots of computer work and I'm currently in CIS at U of M Dearborn.. if you want that hard drive to stay cool, either get a water cooling block for it with the sponges, or lose the sponges completely. That hard drive won't last long, especially in a car with summer heat. That is going to be the major factor on keeping the computer cool. Make sure you have enough breathing room. I would get some case fans to mount in the area the install will be. Another idea for the hard drive is to make a little rack for it and then put sponges on the rack so you will have room around the hard drive for air to flow.
Also make sure the motherboard isn't touching anything else metal except where you mount it at the ATX mounting points. If anything metallic is touching the bottom, sides, or top of the motherboard that isn't supposed to, it will short it out and potentially cost you some money. I like your setup alot. Hopefully you can get the install correctly done. Maybe the glovebox could be modified to hold the computer somehow. If you have any questions troubleshooting the computer, PM me.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

How do a touchscreen and an OS interface? I want to use a Mac Mini for the same thing. Do I need software for the touchscreen to work, or will it 'just work' ?

Last edited by en1gma19; Apr 26, 2005 at 08:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Evo Car PC, Need some Assistance in Chicago Area.