Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

2nd WRX vs. EVO Shootout Result Thread

Old Apr 15, 2005, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd WRX vs. EVO Shootout Result Thread

Please, please, post results of the EVO vs. WRX/STi Shootout here. Did you run 12s, Did you run 11s, 10s, how about 9s, please tell all. How big of an a** whooping did the EVOs lay on the Subarus, or was a better challenge this year? Please post results.
Old Apr 16, 2005, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

So I guess there will be no results, I was hoping people would talk about the outcome here more or less, doesn't seem to be the case. Search dynoflash forum and the buschur new drag race event schedule thread and you will find some more posts on the event. Sorry there is a lot of unknowns about the event, just a lot of bickering back and forth. Here are some knowns-

Dynoflash's AL took top honors for the event? His quickest time off NOS was 10.18@141.8MPH. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe he may have ran a 10.08@??? with Nos. For now I have the 10.18 time on the 11 second and faster list until I find out more info on the 10.08 pass.

AMS also ran a 10.1@140MPH, I also heard that they ran a 10.06@??? with Nos. Same as the Dynoflash time, I only have the 10.1 time on the 11 second and faster list until I substantiate the 10.06 pass.

Buschur racing raced two shop cars, their red EVO VIII ran a best time of 10.9@134.9MPH and they also had a stock turbo EVO VIII RS run a best of 11.7@116MPH.

Curt Brown, he did it, he ran a 10.9@124MPH on the stock turno (NO Nos) absolutely amazing, congrats to him and no Supra, RX-7, VR4, 300ZX TT, or etc. can claim to have run 10s on the stock snail(s). Curt Brown made the EVO community (and their obsessive fan club) proud.

Last known, is that the EVOs pretty much dominated again from what I heard. I believe the fastest WRX/STi time was a 11.7@118MPH by an STi.

Unknowns-

The exact extent of the racing between the EVOs and WRX/STis. The first matchup, detail race coverage was provided, not so true for this event. I just know that the EVOs kicked ***, details not included.

Other cars I was looking forward to hearing about I do not know how they did, an example is the 600AWHP Swytzer EVO that was suppose to race, was it even there?

I know about AMS, Dynoflash, and Curt Brown, what were the other Quick 8 finalist?

There were approx. 100 cars racing, but I'm only hearing about 5 or 6? Maybe the third challenge between the EVO and WRX schedule for NJ this summer or fall I believe the people who do not live in those areas will be provided with much more info on what took place.
Old Apr 16, 2005, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Al's last run of the day was a 10.20.

AMS ran a 10.06

EVO dominated HUGE!!! Those Subies just have to shift to much getting down the track...
Old Apr 16, 2005, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats to AMS, AL, Buschur Racing and all the other EVO's that ran kick *** times. I ended up breaking the clutch(retaing spring let go) on my 7th run. Did end up with a 10 finally:
1.53 60ft
4.522 330ft
7.00@101.84 1/8th
10.926@124.90 1/4
The stock turbo is completely done, it has run over ten 124mph passes, it is just at it's HP limit, it was fun while it lasted, time for a real turbo.

Thanks to Dan(GD), the AMS crew, BR, Shep Racing, and my crew(Dan S., Wayne, Dale, and Roger) for making it happen.
Old Apr 16, 2005, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Congrats, I'm simply amazed, wow dude, just wow. You set a goal and you accomplished it, major props
Old Apr 16, 2005, 11:08 AM
Evolving Member

anyone got vids?
Old Apr 16, 2005, 11:10 AM

curt the clutch that broke was it stock, if not what kind of clutch was it?
Old Apr 16, 2005, 11:15 AM
Account Disabled

Location: driving the 10 second beast in ohio or running lightmods.net
great job everyone......congrats to curt, al and everyone else !
Old Apr 16, 2005, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cary
curt the clutch that broke was it stock, if not what kind of clutch was it?
Exedy twin disc mettalic. Not the clutch's fault, just the pull type design's flaw, the snap ring let go, sad part is the car was off to a quicker pass, I had a 4.513 330ft on that pass, Norwalk preps the track so good that I think I could have eeked a few more tenth's out of it.
Old Apr 16, 2005, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by binsquared
anyone got vids?

there is a video page in the drag section
Old Apr 16, 2005, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

I drove up and decided I would race as well...(My first time doing a 1/4 mile), I ran a 12.91 @106.82mph...I guess thats alright, I ran right around that 3times in a row (never in the 13's)...I guess now I need to get my hands on some Cams and maybe tune it...and put race gas in next time...Oh yeh and I thought my exhaust was loud...seems like I will be needing a cutout as well! Overall it was a lot of fun and it was great to watch the AMS evo run...as well as giving me hopes for my stock turbo asperations....
Old Apr 16, 2005, 05:07 PM

The event was great. Other than the poor soul whose car burned down. David Buschur put on a great event. Alot and I do mean alot of Subies showed up, however, when it came race time for the class that this event was all about, only TWO Subies decided to race. There were however two bracket classes in which most of the Subies racing decided to race in. I ran in the EVO/WRX class and was lucky enough to get to race one of the two Subies that ran. Here's my comment to the Subie owners out there. In a heads up Pro tree racing class, it doesn't matter how fast the other guy is, anything can happen. So what if the car you are racing against is 2-3 seconds faster than you. He/she could red light, break, or other and you could win. From what I could tell, there were 3 EVOs in the 10's and the rest were 11-13 second cars. Heck, I knew I didn't stand a chance against Big Al's car or the other faster cars, but I know that anything can happen in a heads up race so I ran the class. My race was against the slick silver WRX wagon. We were the first pair to run in the class. From what the owner told me before we ran I knew I really didn't have a chance. He said the car has run a best of 12.20's @ 110, but he was having issues and only running low 13's that day. My best time of the day on pump gas was a 13.14 @ 104.9 so I knew it was going to be close if what he said was correct.
We both staged and waited for what seemed like 5-8 seconds before the starter finally let the tree fall. It was so long in fact that when I saw him walking up to us out of the corner of my eye, I thought he was going to wave us back and make us restage. I got off the gas, looked over at him then I saw green. OH SH!@ Go GO GO!!! The wagon jumped me pretty bad with about a car lengths lead and I though OH CRAP it's over. That's when I started reeling him in. Come on baby go go go. At half track we were dead even. I pulled about a half a car length on him and then just pass the 1000ft mark he started to come back. At the finish line it was so close. From what I could tell I was only about 8-10 inches ahead and when my win light in my lane lit up I was like YES!!! That was one of the closest races I have ever had, second only to my Elimination race last year with my Buick. I was told I ran a 13.19 on this pass. So I make it back to the pits, and go to get my time slip. As I sit there in the Customer Service booth waiting for my time slip to print out all the other guys/cars that ran behind me came in and picked up their slips. Mine did not print out due to a computer error. Well, here's where the problem started. While I was waiting for my slip to print, the track officials run my class for round 2 without announcing the lane call or even telling us that this class would be a round robin style of heads up racing. Now, I have been drag racing for over 16 years and know about these styles of racing. No announcements were ever made about round robin racing but due to the burned car it put them behind schedule. Needless to say, I get up to the stagging lanes and an official comes over to tell me that I can't run that I have been eliminated because I did not show up to run round two. At this point I didn't even know they ran round two as only 25 minutes had passed since I made my 1st round pass and I was in the Customer Service building waiting for my slip. I was like WTF? They never announced it and I pleeded my case, he said that they had made their decision and end of discussion. I know the decision was right and it wouldn't have been fair to the other drivers, but what burns me up is that no one made an announcement for the second round and no one told us that the class was running in round robin style. They just ran the cars again when everyone went back to the lanes. Very very un-professional on the tracks behalf. If I would have known, I wouldn't have even tried to picked up slips. Anywho, the moral of the story is, whenever you heads up race, make sure you have someone listen for lane calls and always drive back to the staging lanes after your race. The worst that could happen is an official will tell you to go back and wait for your lane call. In all my years of racing heads up, there has always been a drivers meeting where the officials will lay out the guidelines on how the classes will be run. Not on this day.
Other than my little snafu, the event was a tremendous success and David Buschur put on a great show, my Props to Buschur Racing for making it happen. Big congrats to Curt Brown and crew with their record setting 10 second stock turbo EVO. Excellent job guys!! The AMS crew had a good weekend with two of their cars winning 2nd and 3rd in the Mitsu Quick 8 class. As well as the shop car running their 10.06 run on turbo only. The nitrous was only tried two times with both times being failed attempts and 12 second passes and no more runs were made with it afterwards. The low 10 passes were on all turbo. I was just happy that I was one of the lucky two, to actually get to race a Subie at an event that was designed from the beginning to be a EVO vs WRX style shootout. Lots of good looking cars as well as fast cars. I still feel very sorry for the team that lost their car to the fire. The last thing that suprised me was, they (track officials) allowed the event to continue on without any fire fighting equipment left on the property in case something else had happened. Very bad deal when you think about it.
Just my O2s worth.
Patrick

Last edited by RUQWKNF; Apr 16, 2005 at 08:43 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 05:21 AM
Evolved Member

Thank you for the write up, really appreciate it
Old Apr 17, 2005, 07:36 AM
Former Sponsor

It was myself and Daryll Hudson in the Mitsubishi Quick 8 finals. The ol galant didnt have much of a chance against Darylls race car. My best pass of the day was an 11.293 at 122.90 mph. I was pretty damn happy with how the car performed. I believe thats the fastest a GVR4 has gone with A/C and all the creature comforts still in it. I made 10 11 sec passes and nothing broke!

It was a good day, everyone that missed out should have came. The weather was incredible, track was good, and overall Dave did a nice job of putting another good event on.

Eric.

P.S. Did anyone get vids or pics of my car? My film crew sucks *** and didnt get much good video.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 07:41 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by RUQWKNF
The event was great. Other than the poor soul whose car burned down. David Buschur put on a great event. Alot and I do mean alot of Subies showed up, however, when it came race time for the class that this event was all about, only TWO Subies decided to race. There were however two bracket classes in which most of the Subies racing decided to race in. I ran in the EVO/WRX class and was lucky enough to get to race one of the two Subies that ran. Here's my comment to the Subie owners out there. In a heads up Pro tree racing class, it doesn't matter how fast the other guy is, anything can happen. So what if the car you are racing against is 2-3 seconds faster than you. He/she could red light, break, or other and you could win. From what I could tell, there were 3 EVOs in the 10's and the rest were 11-13 second cars. Heck, I knew I didn't stand a chance against Big Al's car or the other faster cars, but I know that anything can happen in a heads up race so I ran the class. My race was against the slick silver WRX wagon. We were the first pair to run in the class. From what the owner told me before we ran I knew I really didn't have a chance. He said the car has run a best of 12.20's @ 110, but he was having issues and only running low 13's that day. My best time of the day on pump gas was a 13.14 @ 104.9 so I knew it was going to be close if what he said was correct.
We both staged and waited for what seemed like 5-8 seconds before the starter finally let the tree fall. It was so long in fact that when I saw him walking up to us out of the corner of my eye, I thought he was going to wave us back and make us restage. I got off the gas, looked over at him then I saw green. OH SH!@ Go GO GO!!! The wagon jumped me pretty bad with about a car lengths lead and I though OH CRAP it's over. That's when I started reeling him in. Come on baby go go go. At half track we were dead even. I pulled about a half a car length on him and then just pass the 1000ft mark he started to come back. At the finish line it was so close. From what I could tell I was only about 8-10 inches ahead and when my win light in my lane lit up I was like YES!!! That was one of the closest races I have ever had, second only to my Elimination race last year with my Buick. I was told I ran a 13.19 on this pass. So I make it back to the pits, and go to get my time slip. As I sit there in the Customer Service booth waiting for my time slip to print out all the other guys/cars that ran behind me came in and picked up their slips. Mine did not print out due to a computer error. Well, here's where the problem started. While I was waiting for my slip to print, the track officials run my class for round 2 without announcing the lane call or even telling us that this class would be a round robin style of heads up racing. Now, I have been drag racing for over 16 years and know about these styles of racing. No announcements were ever made about round robin racing but due to the burned car it put them behind schedule. Needless to say, I get up to the stagging lanes and an official comes over to tell me that I can't run that I have been eliminated because I did not show up to run round two. At this point I didn't even know they ran round two as only 25 minutes had passed since I made my 1st round pass and I was in the Customer Service building waiting for my slip. I was like WTF? They never announced it and I pleeded my case, he said that they had made their decision and end of discussion. I know the decision was right and it wouldn't have been fair to the other drivers, but what burns me up is that no one made an announcement for the second round and no one told us that the class was running in round robin style. They just ran the cars again when everyone went back to the lanes. Very very un-professional on the tracks behalf. If I would have known, I wouldn't have even tried to picked up slips. Anywho, the moral of the story is, whenever you heads up race, make sure you have someone listen for lane calls and always drive back to the staging lanes after your race. The worst that could happen is an official will tell you to go back and wait for your lane call. In all my years of racing heads up, there has always been a drivers meeting where the officials will lay out the guidelines on how the classes will be run. Not on this day.
Other than my little snafu, the event was a tremendous success and David Buschur put on a great show, my Props to Buschur Racing for making it happen. Big congrats to Curt Brown and crew with their record setting 10 second stock turbo EVO. Excellent job guys!! The AMS crew had a good weekend with two of their cars winning 2nd and 3rd in the Mitsu Quick 8 class. As well as the shop car running their 10.06 run on turbo only. The nitrous was only tried two times with both times being failed attempts and 12 second passes and no more runs were made with it afterwards. The low 10 passes were on all turbo. I was just happy that I was one of the lucky two, to actually get to race a Subie at an event that was designed from the beginning to be a EVO vs WRX style shootout. Lots of good looking cars as well as fast cars. I still feel very sorry for the team that lost their car to the fire. The last thing that suprised me was, they (track officials) allowed the event to continue on without any fire fighting equipment left on the property in case something else had happened. Very bad deal when you think about it.
Just my O2s worth.
Patrick
I see that in the posts you have been making about this event - you mention AMS, Curt Brown (both who lost) and David Bschur who is a great guy. However - you dont mention the fact that I won the race. I always like it when I am ommited from reference as winning the event (sarcastic) - especially by someone who's parts I use (injectors and turbo). Maybe in my next magazine article I will ommit reference of your parts ?? I did not even get or ask for anything for free from you guys - I paid for it all. It bothers me to see a compnay who I have plug in my magzine articles skip over me when talking about an event that I won. A lot of hard work and sweat goes into this racing effort and its nice to revieve credit when you win. I can not believe that you would ask me to put your stickers on my car and then diss me by giving props to all the guys who lost the race.

I'll call Harry about this on Monday to see if this addiude about me is reflected in the rest of the comapny - which would be a great disappointment for me.

BTW - as for your complaint about the race - the announcer clearly said "IF YOU WIN YOUR ROUND IN ELIMINATIONS OR WRX vs. EVO COME RIGHT BACK TO THE STAGING LANES" Maybe you were not listening - BUT - that is what was said - CLEARLY - I heard it. I dont know why you would stop for your time slip - you could always get it at the end of the day. I dont think you should blame the track - it seems to me like your mistake.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2nd WRX vs. EVO Shootout Result Thread