Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Spark plugs fouling out twice a week???

Old Mar 17, 2005, 04:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Spark plugs fouling out twice a week??? (MAGNECORE WIRES???)

I installed magnecore wires and NGK plugs (BPR7ES) last friday. over the weekend a guy as at a gas station assicdentally put a little over a gallon of 87 octane in my car, so I immediately filled with 93. That night my plugs seemed like they were fouled out so I got a new set monday. I changed them and everything was all good. Now just this morning (thursday) on my way to school it seems like my plugs are fouled out again. the car idles fine and low boost is fine, but at WOT at 20 psi it seems like its misifiring. I can hear slight popping and the car loses a little bit of power intermittenly. I'm hoping my wires just came a little lose, so i'm gonna check that after school but if its not that I'm stumped. anyone have any clue as to what could be causing this??? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by NOLIMITMOTORS; Mar 17, 2005 at 06:12 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 05:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm seeing pretty regular fouling as well, although not that quickly. Up here in CO, I run mostly 93, but as only one gas station in my area has it, sometimes I have to run 91 (usually mix in some 104 to offset, but sometimes I'm out of that as well.) I notice fouling after about 3K miles, so I'm having to change plugs quite a bit. I get a slightly rough idle, and if I wait too long to change them, some stalling issues. Once I swap them out, it's like butter again for about 1K miles, then drops off. I'm hopling to remedy this with some a/f adjustments in the near future...so, not the same issue you're seeing, but I am fouling plugs quicker than I expected.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

Tuned or unTuned the plugs should be lasting longer than that. I would say turn down the boost to stock and see how it runs. It might run better, I would be checking other things and posting pics of what the plugs look like becuase somthing just doesn't sound right.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 06:12 AM
Former Sponsor

yea something is definitely wrong. Is it possible the poor connection that plagues magnecore wires is causing the plugs to foul out??? i'm gonna check them today and prob change plugs again but if this keeps happening then i'm going to go back to stock wire or possibly buy the ralli art ones because this is ridiculous.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd put the stock wires back on and see if that fix's the problem. I have heard some rumors of the magnecores having similar issues.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

When you are saying "fouling out" please explain further. What color are the plugs? White, blackish, buildup of soot, oily, etc, etc....????????
Old Mar 17, 2005, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Have you used any Octane booster? I did that about 2-3 times and my car ran like crap... My pluggs we black as night and dirty. I wont use that crap again.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 09:21 AM
Former Sponsor

update: pulled my spark plug cover off and pushed down on the wires and all was good. but when i pushed it still seemed as if they were all the way down. I might put something under the cover to hold them down. The other thing is it did get warmer from when it studered last and I actually played with it cuz i was in school so i'm not sure. i'll keep updates
Old Mar 17, 2005, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

is the car smoking form the back? maybe excess oil, check the dipstick, that usually causes foul plugs.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 09:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by silvrevo
Have you used any Octane booster? I did that about 2-3 times and my car ran like crap... My pluggs we black as night and dirty. I wont use that crap again.
OMG, i cant believe u said that. I did use that because the gas station guy had put a little over a gallon of 87 octane in my car. but i still had the same plug problem this morning and i've refilled since the octane booster prob 2-3 times so idk.

when i say fouling out i really mean the car is studdering at 20 psi. its making hiccup/popping sounds and a slight loss of power is felt, but its still going all the way to 7k. the car idles perfect though. it feels as if there is a hole in a wire, but usually that can be felt at idle also and low throttle
Old Mar 17, 2005, 09:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Iceman2011
is the car smoking form the back? maybe excess oil, check the dipstick, that usually causes foul plugs.
nope no smoke at all
Old Mar 17, 2005, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

The same thing was happening to me. Up around 21 psi and 6500 RPMs it was missing and bucking. It felt and sounded like something was plugging the intake and then releasing over and over again. I removed my Denso IW24s (2K miles) and installed NGK BR8ES (.025) and the problem is gone. I hardly had any use on the Densos so I guess they just suck. Plus, $2 per plug is a lot better than $10!!
Old Mar 17, 2005, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Thumbs up

4g63's are notorious for eating plugs & wires. my 98 talon went thru plugs every oil change. after 5 oil changes i would have to change wires. totally sucked. i too used magnecor wires & octane boosters. after switching to Ralliart wires & no more booster, that all stopped. i also discovered that steam cleaning motors builds condensation in the plug wells causing misfires. gapping plugs (or lack of) is also a culprit.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by housedj
4g63's are notorious for eating plugs & wires. my 98 talon went thru plugs every oil change. after 5 oil changes i would have to change wires. totally sucked. i too used magnecor wires & octane boosters. after switching to Ralliart wires & no more booster, that all stopped. i also discovered that steam cleaning motors builds condensation in the plug wells causing misfires. gapping plugs (or lack of) is also a culprit.
gapping plugs or lack of is a culprit? So what do we do? Cut off the electrode?

But seriously, what IS the right gap? Mine are at .025 and that seems to be about right. If we went from the stock coils to something like the Switzer setup, how much could we increase the gap?
Old Mar 17, 2005, 12:47 PM
Former Sponsor

mine ar at .30-.32 which is how they came

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spark plugs fouling out twice a week???