Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Remote start for evo viii

Old Oct 29, 2004, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote start for evo viii

I been wanting to get remote start for my evo since winter is coming...i can let the car warm up before i take it for a ride..the thing is...i went to circuit city, pepboys...they said no one in the world can install a remote start on a manual car...it sounded like bunch of bull **** to me...but i still havent found a place that installs remote start...

if any of you get it installed...tell me what place to go to...

thanks
Old Oct 29, 2004, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its not that they can't its more that they dont want too. Its very risky to install a remote start on a manual car. Its even more riskier for their business if they do.
Old Oct 29, 2004, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by goBYeBYe
its not that they can't its more that they dont want too. Its very risky to install a remote start on a manual car. Its even more riskier for their business if they do.
True dat. I got the remote on one of my other cars and ask the guy at Circuit city if they could install in on a manual tranny and he said he could, on the down low, but couldn't warranty the installation. Check with other Circuit City's in your area.
Old Oct 29, 2004, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

the reason why they won't do the install is because they have to bypass the clutch switch. Not only will you get the warranty voided, but if someone starts the car in first gear you'll brake a garage door and damage the vehicle...... or run somebody over
Old Oct 29, 2004, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

I know a kid who got killed that way.. He was sitting in his driveway leaning against the garage door. His sister was messing around in their parents car and she turned the key. Car was in gear, lurched forward, and crushed the kids head between the bumper and the garage door. This single event has simply overwhelmed and devistated their familly. The risk is not worth the gain IMO.

Good luck though.
Old Oct 29, 2004, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Can't get remote start on a manual transmission vehicle in NC. No shop will do it, plus...I don't mind not being lazy.
Old Oct 29, 2004, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

I got a Viper alarm with remote start and built in turbo timer feature built into the alarm. Here's a link for the install/thoughts on the alarm: http://www.socalevo.net/forums/viewt...ht=viper+alarm
Old Oct 29, 2004, 12:27 PM

isn't it risky to get a remote start on a manual? i always take my care out of gear before turning it off, but i know a lot of people who dont, and some cars have to be in gear to start don't they?
Old Oct 29, 2004, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

to do this right you'd need a system that can sense if the tranny is in neutral. Motorcycles have a neutral indicator for their gear boxes, so it can't be that hard. I think some of the higher end systems have fail safes for both turbo timers and remote start that won't engage unless the car is in neutral. I think I read that Compustar's two-way alarms do this, but can't swear to it.
Old Oct 29, 2004, 12:34 PM

Compustar makes a remote start designed for use with manual transmission cars. I got their 2WSS-AS (2 way spread spectrum paging alarm/starter) installed by a local shop. It will require an engine imobilizer bypass box to trick the car into thinking a key is in the ignition. Its really a pretty safe system to have installed. There is a sequence of operations you must perform before leaving the car if you want it to be remote started. Take the car out of gear, pull up e-brake, turn off and remove key (engine will stay running), car shuts off and locks doors after drivers door has been opened then closed. This process won't allow you to leave the car in gear because the car stays running until you get out (so it would just stall as soon as you let the clutch out if you left it in gear).

This system is fairly pricey. Compustar quoted me $650 or more, the local distributor charged me $450 installed. There are other options if you find the right shop or are electronically inclined such as using clutch switches and a neutral detection switch.
Old Oct 29, 2004, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

I'm curious - where would I find a neutral detection switch for a car?
Old Oct 29, 2004, 01:00 PM
Evolving Member

I have a lynx 2000 alarm w/remote start 2 way fm transmitter. works just like ellivnad described as well. You cannot start the car unless the car was running when the doors were shut. Got it from http://www.asianwolf.com/ for $200 bucks. Range is awesome, I can start the car from a block away through 3 concrete buildings and a concrete parking garage.
Old Oct 29, 2004, 03:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think if it is safe enough for a car to have a turbo timer than it is safe enough to have remote start. If you do both I think it is pretty idiot proof.
Old Oct 29, 2004, 03:22 PM
Evolving Member

My shop in atlanta "Sound Sensations" will do it for you. We make you sign a waver that if you run it into something or somebody, we are not responsible. I would recommend one of our dei alarms that have a turbo timer built in them so that you for sure will not accidently leave your car in gear. I have one on my evo and it works great. You will need a 555u part and an extra key that starts your car because there is a chip in the key and we have to fool the car to make it think there is a key in the ignition.
Old Oct 29, 2004, 03:26 PM
Evolving Member

BTW, this isnt the correct place for this post, but if any of you evo drivers in the atlanta area come to my shop, I will give discount as long as you ask for me "Jon" and say that you saw this on these forums. We do all kinds of stereo, alarm, fiberglass, performance work. First one of you who comes up there, I will setup an evolutionm account for everyone to use. I have personally done all the work on club s2000's cars, everything from strobes to superchargers.

Jon

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Remote start for evo viii