Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

Manual Transmission Fluid 75W-80 GL-3

Old Jun 6, 2011, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So what should i run then? Redline MTL or Redline MT-85 in my tranny?
Old Jun 8, 2011, 01:54 AM
Evolving Member

or oem mitsu fluids.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would get the MTL-90 as it is the specified weight of 75-90 that our manual calls for. Unless you want to pay 25$ a litre then don't go to Mitsubishi!
Old Jun 9, 2011, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by captobvious75
Yes I am using MT-85, read the specs. Our gearbox requires GL-3 oil, GL-5 will be too heavy. The dealer had put GL-5 in my gearbox & the gear was difficult to select until very hot. The gearbox on the 2009 & up is of anew design and the gear oil in Mits book say NEW MULTI-GEAR OIL.. I put MT-85 in just recently .I have included the web site, read the info for your self. There is alot of info on gearboxes but try & talk to older guy or who has some racing background. I now in Europe people use molybdenum lubricant (Molycote) had to gear box oil it makes it shift smoother and this helps with syncros/ friction plates.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=140&pcid=7.

and you can purchase fro R R is not available locallay.
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/eclfluids.htm
Old Jun 9, 2011, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by captobvious75
If you have your owner manual near by check page 7-17 & 9-11.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by s84kam
This transmission oil is quite hard to find, especially being from DiaQueen. The dealership wants way too much and i was wondering if I could substitute it with AMS oil/royal purple/red line 75W-80 GL 4

You can use Super UDT fluid for as a substitute, which will work well without the mark-up.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

Weird... i called Mitsu in Kanata and they aren't using Mitsu's Diaqueen for our cars... they said they are using something better from Wynn's.

I told them i don't care as long as i have papers from Mitsu showing I bought from them for warranty purposes... i think the part number is 66303 from Wynn's website
Old Jun 29, 2011, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Islandguy09
Yes I am using MT-85, read the specs. Our gearbox requires GL-3 oil, GL-5 will be too heavy. The dealer had put GL-5 in my gearbox & the gear was difficult to select until very hot. The gearbox on the 2009 & up is of anew design and the gear oil in Mits book say NEW MULTI-GEAR OIL.. I put MT-85 in just recently .I have included the web site, read the info for your self. There is alot of info on gearboxes but try & talk to older guy or who has some racing background. I now in Europe people use molybdenum lubricant (Molycote) had to gear box oil it makes it shift smoother and this helps with syncros/ friction plates.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=140&pcid=7.

and you can purchase fro R R is not available locallay.
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/eclfluids.htm
The GL number is NOT weight designation, the 75-80 is the oil weight/viscosity. The GL is oils designation to what additives it has and what types of transmissions it is designed for, like engine oils our car calls for an SM or greater, but always the same weight, 5-20.. 75-80 GL 3,4, or 5 is just fine for the trans.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 02:37 AM

besides redline, any other brands producing w80 gear oil for the F5MBB?
Old Dec 8, 2013, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by CamShaft
I would get the MTL-90 as it is the specified weight of 75-90 that our manual calls for. Unless you want to pay 25$ a litre then don't go to Mitsubishi!
Yes, save the few dollars on fluid, then spend a thousand on a tranny rebuild. I'm from the 2004-2006 Ralliart camp. Our guys have reported trying all the tranny fluid options. There have also been many synchro and bearing failures reported by guys using the popular aftermarket oils like Amsoil and Redline. Read the threads there for details.

I track my car a lot, and have only used OEM Diaqueen Mitsu tranny fluid. Transmission still shifts perfectly going on 8 years. Just sayin'... you get what you pay for.

Its simple. Mitsu warrantees drivetrains for 10 years under normal use - think they don't develop the most appropriate fluid for your tranny?

Want a Canadian Mitsu Diaqueen supplier that's not a dealer? In Hamilton, ON: https://www.rtmracing.com/xcart/home.php
The owner's name is Ziggy, he's an older racing guru, and manufactures in-house many of the parts he sells. I've only ever got good advice and service from him.

Last edited by RalliartN; Dec 8, 2013 at 07:40 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RalliartN
Yes, save the few dollars on fluid, then spend a thousand on a tranny rebuild. I'm from the 2004-2006 Ralliart camp. Our guys have reported trying all the tranny fluid options. There have also been many synchro and bearing failures reported by guys using the popular aftermarket oils like Amsoil and Redline. Read the threads there for details.

I track my car a lot, and have only used OEM Diaqueen Mitsu tranny fluid. Transmission still shifts perfectly going on 8 years. Just sayin'... you get what you pay for.

Its simple. Mitsu warrantees drivetrains for 10 years under normal use - think they don't develop the most appropriate fluid for your tranny?

Want a Canadian Mitsu Diaqueen supplier that's not a dealer? In Hamilton, ON: https://www.rtmracing.com/xcart/home.php
The owner's name is Ziggy, he's an older racing guru, and manufactures in-house many of the parts he sells. I've only ever got good advice and service from him.

Awesome that you race your car. Most of us do not. I have 100K kms of redline oil on my trans. Thanks for your input for those who are racing their cars!

But, for those who are just day to day driving, this oil is definitely a good choice. I drained my 45000km redline oil trans fluid into a white bucket and it was pretty clean I must say.