Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Car dies when i push the clutch in!!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2013, 06:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car dies when i push the clutch in!!!

i have read a lot of threads on this but none really have a solution, i have a newly built engine and when i push the clutch in the car dies immediately. the car is having a rough time idling. my thrust washers have a little scaring on them i beliive from this. i want to say that the crank is getting pulled by the tranny or from that direction. i have an exedy twin and was installed on the car before the engine was built. let me know what you guys think/any solutions you may have
Old Aug 9, 2013, 06:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
does pulling in the clutch lug the engine and thats what kills it (instead of an electrical issue from the clutch switch)? for example if you gave it some gas when you pulled the clutch in, will it stay running?

if it only dies at idle, then I would say that there is a thrust loading issue. When you push the clutch in, you put a considerable load on the thrust washers. If one of them is scored up, or worse yet, spun, then I could easily see how that would be killing the engine. I would probably be thinking about pulling the oil pan to check it out sooner rather than later. Look for thrust washer material extruding out around the main cap.

Someone else chime in if they think it might be something else
Old Aug 9, 2013, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Sounds like crankwalk to me. Is this a motor that you have had to crank for a long period of time with the clutch in before...or frequently still?
Old Aug 9, 2013, 09:01 AM

when we pulled the oil pan off one of the bearings was worn down compared to the other side, when at idle i had to consistently give the engine gas and as soon as pressed the clutch pedal it stalled the engine immediately. when we put new thrust washers in everything was in spec for clearances. my big question has to be what is causing this? is it installation of the transmission or clutch?

when attempting to start the car it would fire up very quickly but does not want to hold idle
Old Aug 9, 2013, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Do you start the car with the clutch in or do you have the clutch start eliminated?
Old Aug 10, 2013, 06:42 AM

I start the car without the clutch being pressed in. The car would run if I gave it more gas. I'm going to pop the wavy clip off and attempt to start it an see I I have the same issue