Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

s-awc issue ( 2008 X-MR)

Old Jun 21, 2011, 08:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s-awc issue ( 2008 X-MR)

I did a search on this and didn't find the exact issue on here.
Last week my s-awc light went on. Took it to the dealer, they told me they had to update the system software in the car. Got car back. warning light was off, but new issue. The Tarmac/Gravel/Snow word (light) on the Dash will flash now, then stay solid, then flash again. Some times the word (light) will go off/ no show all together.
On top of that if I show the s-awc screen on the dash, the active center diff section of that does not work like it used too. IE. when I would get on the gas the bars would light up that harder I pushed it. The wheel section of that diagram works like it should.
Am I making sense? I am brining it back to the dealer, but looking for suggestions. Pump issue? Thanks
Old Jun 21, 2011, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know if this is related or if this is correct but I think if the s-awc is on than your AYC/ACD pump may be on it's last legs. I remember reading a thread recently about a member who was having the similar issues. You may want the dealer to check that out.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 12:52 PM
Evolving Member

I think I saw that thread about the pump, I wasnt sure it was the same symptoms, i will investegate that.
The dealership knows less than I do. UPDATED: code was 161e. I am told that was the acd pump, the dealership is telling me not to worry about it.
Thats comforting.

Last edited by Mikebus7; Jun 22, 2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 01:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mikebus7
I think I saw that thread about the pump, I wasnt sure it was the same symptoms, i will investegate that.
The dealership knows less than I do. UPDATED: code was 161e. I am told that was the acd pump, the dealership is telling me not to worry about it.
Thats comforting.
Yeah, don't worry about it. You know they won't....Then, when your warranty is out, they'll tell you it'll cost you megabucks to get it fixed.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mikebus7
I did a search on this and didn't find the exact issue on here.
Last week my s-awc light went on. Took it to the dealer, they told me they had to update the system software in the car. Got car back. warning light was off, but new issue. The Tarmac/Gravel/Snow word (light) on the Dash will flash now, then stay solid, then flash again. Some times the word (light) will go off/ no show all together.
On top of that if I show the s-awc screen on the dash, the active center diff section of that does not work like it used too. IE. when I would get on the gas the bars would light up that harder I pushed it. The wheel section of that diagram works like it should.
Am I making sense? I am brining it back to the dealer, but looking for suggestions. Pump issue? Thanks
hi!
got the same problem like yours and it also happened after the service required s-awc. bring to dealer and they reflash the ECU and after reflash Tarmac/Gravel/Snow word (light) on the Dash will flash now, then stay solid, then flash again.
i bring back to the back the dealer they just plug it again in the system and clear c161f and check everything even the oil level. after that when i got the car it still the same thing. i already told them about the pump or pressure sensor but the mechanic keep on telling me that when i used my the car the oil goes on the other side of the sensor thats why it trigger the flashing of tarmac, gravel and snow.
to my disappointment i bring to another dealer they check it and call the mitsu hotline and they was told that the pump need to be replace. so pump will replace under warranty.
before your warranty runs out keep on bugging the dealer about calling the mitsu hotline so they will know the problem. the service guy told me the pump cost like $5,000.00 just for the pump. dont know if its really $5000.00 but if i see it on the work order when they replace my pump ill post it up.
here's the video happening to my car and link to my post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPJFfsj2xi0
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-awc-help.html

this might help also:
http://www.***************/forums/sh...ad.php?t=40091

hope this help
Old Jun 25, 2011, 01:08 AM
Evolved Member

^$5,000 for a acd pump?? Come on that has got to be wrong. That guy must be on crack. I could see maybe $2,000 or so at the most. To the op did you get your car fixed?
Old Jun 25, 2011, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

evo 8-9 acd pump is $2100 ...without ayc
Old Jun 25, 2011, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GotBoOst05
evo 8-9 acd pump is $2100 ...without ayc
Wow that sucks.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 07:02 PM

My pump went out at 38K and wasn't covered by warranty. I think it cost me about $1,850 for the pump and over $2k installed. My code was 161E if I remember correctly. Total failure by Mitsu on pump quality.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

rear diff pump is $1800 new.
i know this cuz i got hit on the rear passenger side where the pump is and i saw the invoice for a new pump.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by robdiesel
My pump went out at 38K and wasn't covered by warranty. I think it cost me about $1,850 for the pump and over $2k installed. My code was 161E if I remember correctly. Total failure by Mitsu on pump quality.
My 08 X MR threw this exact same code. Mitsu changed the pump (twice!) and some other stuff too. Issue came back and they were never able to fix it... ended up trading for a X SE
Old Jun 27, 2011, 06:36 AM
Evolving Member

plip630- thanks for the info/video. Thats exactely the issue. I was going to do this with my car.
I have 42k miles on the car. If I need to pay 2k for the damn pump I am going to lose it.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by plip630
hi!
got the same problem like yours and it also happened after the service required s-awc. bring to dealer and they reflash the ECU and after reflash Tarmac/Gravel/Snow word (light) on the Dash will flash now, then stay solid, then flash again.
i bring back to the back the dealer they just plug it again in the system and clear c161f and check everything even the oil level. after that when i got the car it still the same thing. i already told them about the pump or pressure sensor but the mechanic keep on telling me that when i used my the car the oil goes on the other side of the sensor thats why it trigger the flashing of tarmac, gravel and snow.
to my disappointment i bring to another dealer they check it and call the mitsu hotline and they was told that the pump need to be replace. so pump will replace under warranty.
before your warranty runs out keep on bugging the dealer about calling the mitsu hotline so they will know the problem. the service guy told me the pump cost like $5,000.00 just for the pump. dont know if its really $5000.00 but if i see it on the work order when they replace my pump ill post it up.
here's the video happening to my car and link to my post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPJFfsj2xi0
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-awc-help.html

this might help also:
http://www.***************/forums/sh...ad.php?t=40091

hope this help
after the dealership replace my hydraulic pump last thursday the blinking of tarmac, gravel, and snow is gone and everything is back to normal.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for those who repsonded.
So to close this thread: I had to contact Mitsu Motors because the dealer couldnt do anything unless it threw a code. Mitsu gave the dealer (tech) some instructions and the tech was able to get see that the pump was failing. New pump is on order under warrenty.
Thanks to Mitsu, the tech and all the advice.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Awesome! Glad it's getting fixed!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: s-awc issue ( 2008 X-MR)