Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Evo IV build sleeper

Old May 5, 2013, 02:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo IV build sleeper

Hi Guys

I purchased my evo iv about 6 months ago and decided lately am going to stick with it now that have spent too much to justify buying a later model one now.

I purchased it not knowing its history and boy did I find out the hard way, I got it home and problems started straight away, longstory short Crank Walk Victim!!! nasty thing to come across couldn't believe it.

So I purchased a second hand motor courtesy of evo spares in Hamilton, New Zealand.
Got a evo 4 block (probably a bad idea but was short on funds) with evo 8 head on it however it had all the evo 4 internals in the evo 8 head anyway so nothing special there.

Engine had done 112,000ks
New Genuine MMC engine full Gasket Set
Genuine new Cambelt, Balance shaft belt, tensioners, Idler Bearings, Oil Seals, Water Pump.All up $2600 NZD not bad.

Soooo got down to the nitty gritty had a mate help me do it over Christmas holidays pulled old engine through the bottom am trying to find the photos.

Took the engine gearbox and transfer case out together and to be honest the hardest part of the whole thing was getting releasing the clutch and separating gearbox from the engine it took a whole day of scratching our heads until we thought lets get on the net and wallah theres a thread in the next 10 mins it was off lol.

Evo IV build sleeper-dscf2979.jpg

Evo IV build sleeper-dscf2981.jpg

Evo IV build sleeper-dscf2982.jpg

Right found those photos we did it pretty old school in the garage with block and tackle, a jack and axle stands and of course blocks of wood lol.

So I thought while doing this we might aswell do anything else needs doing at the same time.

So here is a list of parts I brought during this mission.....

Alloy Radiator and Blue Silicone Hoses
Yellow Jacket Performance Coils and Leads
HKS Racing Spark Plugs
New Ball Joints
New Tie Rod ends
255LPH Deatchwerks Fuel Pump
Evo 6 Fuel Injectors (560cc)
Evo 6 Turbo charger 80,000ks on it
Alloy Air Intake
ARC Cold Air Box 2nd hand local wrecker Yard
New replacement Air Filter ARC
Turbo Smart Dual Stage Boost Controller
Boost Gauge
HKS Turbo Timer
Penrite 10w-40 5 litres engine oil
Engine oil filter
New Fan Belt
Fuel Filter
New evo 8 steel flywheel and 240mm Clutch kit
3 litres Gear oil 75/90 semi synthetic same for transfer case
New Clutch Master Cylinder
New Slave Cylinder
new Turbo oil line
Ordered evo 6 reflashed ECU courtesy of dynotech industries in Taranaki with a safe tune on it to get me there afterwards for the dyno tune.
Monza SSQV BOV
Blue Silicone vaccumme lines

There was definitely a few teething issues took longer then expected roughly 6 days of solid work all up however a day for bloody getting gearbox away from old engine lol.

Anyway we got it all put back in through the bottom had minor issues with the shed nearly collapsing in the process on us lol creaked and cracked away but held up in the end.

Put all back together then nervously turned the key and bang she started straight away so smooth no lifter ticking or anything of the like, was awesome.

So was then time for dyno tuning this is my first turbo car and the first time ever working on a car that is Japanese manufactured so still am now fairly new to it all.

I was in contact with Phil at dynotech industries in Taranaki, Phil I have to recommend to anybody no matter where you are in New Zealand he is a top guy helped me with any annoying questions I had even before I went to him for service, he has excellent communication skills to like I said was very new to the world of turbo cars and still am, he in a very short time showed me a lot I learnt a lot just listening to Phil and was explained in a way I can understand, really knows his stuff does reflashes and has a dynapack chassis dyno very accurate can not say enough how much stress Phil saved me with advice and carrying work out for me.

So Anyway I got the evo iv down to Phil and was fairly nervous also my first time watching my car in that situation especially when signing the paperwork stating my car will be tested to its mechanical limits today!!!! lol.

Phil tuned it all in (sorry for laymans terms nut I don't no squat about tuning lol_ listened to knock detector and didn't make a single knock during the process only problem being Phil pointed out to me it seems to have turbo shaft imbalance it whines very loud not normal sounds like a jet, however moving he showed me my hubs are all going at the right rate and it made 168kw at the wheels internally stock only mild bolt on mods, was wrapped as standard they come around 145kw at the wheels I believe and so it made 168kw on 14psi boost.

Obviously that's as much as will push it for now under phils advice don't want to push turbo too hard then theres extra problem of crank walk maybe eventuating being an evo 4 and its also my daily driver.
So needs to be reliable.

Some photos of the day....

Evo IV build sleeper-001-3-.jpg

Evo IV build sleeper-002-3-.jpg
Old May 5, 2013, 02:34 AM

Evo IV build sleeper-005-3-.jpg
Evo IV build sleeper-006-2-.jpg
Evo IV build sleeper-007-3-.jpg

more to come....
Old May 5, 2013, 05:13 AM

After Dyno tuning was all done I then brought an evo 8 wastegate actuator off phil at dynotech thanks again, as mine was rusted from water damage the evo 8 one has the little hat on it too prevent water damage which is a handy little tip to know.
Also got a cusco oil catch tank installed, and turned the boost down to 13psi to be safe.

I brought all nolathane bushes for the evo iv and had them installed along with a Whiteline Heavy Duty Adjustable 24mm Rear Swaybar.
These things made a huge difference in handling I then fitted the Ultra Racing Upper Front Strut Brace 3 point.

It has been very reliable for me so far have done fairly regular trips in it 10 hours in 2 days a fair few times I have no problem going anywhere in it to be honest.

Am currently making some intercooler piping up for it, got a splitter to fix up and paint, fog light covers and need to paint boot spoiler black.

Also want to change the bov back to recirculating any pointers for what brand bov setup to use would be a great help???

Here are some pics as it stands now.

Evo IV build sleeper-036.jpg

Evo IV build sleeper-037.jpg

Battery has been relocated to the boot with heavy duty leads, and have put air intake going straight outward as you can see it actually wasn't too hard and is a lot more roomy now also.

Have done 20,000ks with this engine now and no noisy lifters or anything of the sort so far so fingers crossed, need to flush transfer and gearbox as havnt done it since 20,000ks ago probably well due am on the lookout for some hardened under hood shifter bushes also if anyone knows of where?

Here is a link to see my dyno results - http://d3515qaf3aty6m.cloudfront.net...jpg-scaled.jpg

Last edited by damien666; May 5, 2013 at 05:22 AM.
Old May 6, 2013, 06:33 AM

I have just purchased an evo 7 turbo and am getting it rebuilt this week to go on the car, pretty much the same but has 9.8t instead of the 10.5t so should be marginally quicker spooling up.

When I put this on will go to the tuner and get him to tune in 18psi and see how it runs from there hoping for 200kw once this is on.

Have just realized it has titanium turbine weel in the turbo so must be a evo 7 rs turbo even better!!!

So will be back to the tuner to get turbo put on and optimum boost and fuel pressures set and what not so that's going to be 200kw at the wheels easy now and that will probably be enough for the evo 4 block will drive it around like that until source a good nick later model block and rebuild the spare head I have in the mean time.

I still need to put my fiberglass spot light covers on, paint the boot spoiler, and fit new intercooler and custom piping also.

Last edited by damien666; May 6, 2013 at 11:30 PM.
Old May 14, 2013, 08:41 PM

Flushed the Transfer case and gearbox yesterday and must say that after 20,000kms of driving it was fairly clean which is a good note.

Also put new clear indicator lenses on it which look a lot better then the standard orange.
Old May 19, 2013, 10:29 PM
Evolving Member

NZ woot

For the BOV i'd definitely go for the evo 8-9 metal one.

My dyno results below
Old May 20, 2013, 04:20 PM

That's wicked results man, I love the evo 6 aye wish I got one in the first place instead of my 4 lol, bloody crankwalk set me back a bit.
Old May 20, 2013, 04:24 PM

Have just received my rebuilt turbo brought a new permaseal inlet gasket, braided water and oil lines and on the look out for a evo 8mr/9 metal bov. Also purchased some hardrace engine mounts to hopefully lessen the aggressive on/off throttle movement.

Its getting new front wheel bearings today be good to see how bad the old ones are.
And a few little general bits and pieces it needs.

Hope to get onto the turbo soon as once got the lines and plumb back bov will be all go and back on the dyno.
Old May 20, 2013, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by damien666
That's wicked results man, I love the evo 6 aye wish I got one in the first place instead of my 4 lol, bloody crankwalk set me back a bit.
1-4 had terrible bottom end issue. Thats the main reason I stayed away from the 1-3's

edit for spelling
Old May 21, 2013, 04:31 AM

Yeah i experienced that once already and for some stupid reason brought another 4 engine lol
Old May 21, 2013, 09:38 AM

Interesting build. Subscribed.
Old May 22, 2013, 03:46 AM

Got my car back today had faulty wiper switch, split cv boot, split steering boot, rear wiper blade, wiring and terminals for high stop light and wheel bearings 2 fronts. Have just seen that my brake caliper is gripping a bit when push pedal its a tad worn so need to get that rebuilt or find a good caliper somewhere. Am going to fit and paint my fog ligjt covers in next coming days and make a sort of air intake out of the fog light cover going tothe cold air box. Still finding a evo9 metal bov and beaided turbo lines. Found out turbosmart kompact series bov only good for std boost much like factory valve, so decided stick with getting an evo 9 metal bov. Will put pics up of pics of new recent parts.

Also brought HARDRACE engine mount inserts for it.

Last edited by damien666; May 22, 2013 at 06:00 AM.
Old May 22, 2013, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by damien666
Got my car back today had faulty wiper switch, split cv boot, split steering boot, rear wiper blade, wiring and terminals for high stop light and wheel bearings 2 fronts. Have just seen that my brake caliper is gripping a bit when push pedal its a tad worn so need to get that rebuilt or find a good caliper somewhere. Am going to fit and paint my fog ligjt covers in next coming days and make a sort of air intake out of the fog light cover going tothe cold air box. Still finding a evo9 metal bov and beaided turbo lines. Found out turbosmart kompact series bov only good for std boost much like factory valve, so decided stick with getting an evo 9 metal bov. Will put pics up of pics of new recent parts.

Also brought HARDRACE engine mount inserts for it.
I got mine through evoparts in CHCH
Old May 24, 2013, 05:07 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
nice little build threw you got here , what part of nz are you from ?
Old May 25, 2013, 03:16 AM

Taranaki living at the moment from thamesarea though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Evo IV build sleeper