Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

Input/Output Sensor Nightmare

Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Input/Output Sensor Nightmare

Ok, let me start by saying my auto trans has been acting up, not too bad, and not too often, just to where it hangs in a "neutral" state for a brief moment when sifting gears sometimes. So from the advice on here, I decided to change the input/output sensors since that seems like a common problem as described on here.

Therefore, I ordered the kit (F4A41 F4A42 F4A51 INPUT OUTPUT SPEED SENSOR SET 1996 Up New MITSUBISHI HYUNDAI) from Phoenix Trans Parts (a.k.a 877-stall-tc) on ebay.

When they finally arrived, I switched them out, not thinking to check for the same shape/size since the new ones fit right in. I took the car for a testdrive, and as soon as it got ready to shift to second gear, WABAM!, the trans went into Limp/Safe Mode.

So the next morning, I switched them back out with the old ones, and realized something very disturbing, both sensors are too long and got in the way of the moving parts inside of the trans. They both have evidence of being rubbed on by the moving parts inside the trans. Thankfully, with the old ones back in, my trans is back to normal(-ish).

Here is a pic of the output sensor that is clearly too long for our cars. Notice how the tip has been shaven off by the gear inside of the trans. I'm just hoping those plastic shaving don't reek havoc with anything...

So I guess to be on the safe side, ordering these parts from the stealership is the only thing I could think of. I'm just going to put up with the old ones as long as I can now. Hopefully, I can show this pic to the ebay seller and they'll grant me a refund
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Man, I don't know why people go to ebay for sensors and stuff. Go to mitsubishiparts.net and it's about $80 there. 80 well spent dollars. Afterwards reset the ecu and hopefully everything will be okay from your attempt to cut costs.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:28 PM

where are those sensors located? my tranny does the same thing
also how do u reset the ecu and whats the oem part number?

Last edited by jjeter92; Feb 27, 2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Dude, there are about 7 threads on this. just scroll down and click on any one of them.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...ed-sensor.html
Old Apr 21, 2013, 09:37 AM

Update: Ok, so I went to my local stealership and ordered an input speed sensor for $105. I took the factory one back out in order to compare it before I bought it, but given that they had to order me one, it wont be here until Thursday.

So I put the factory one back in and now my car is really starting to shift like dukie . However, I got no other choice, I got to drive it like this until Thursday when the part comes in. I'm still not 100% convinced though that the sensor is the problem . Hopefully it's in one of its little fluke stages, as it has shifted decent sometimes during the past few months.

Originally Posted by Jsangiovanni
go on ebay and type in 2002 lancer es input sensor. and it will bring up both .look for the ones from ptp phoenix trans parts. it has thes numbers f4a41.f4a42.f4a51
Don't do it, those are made too long.

Originally Posted by EkS
For reference, I used a Dorman 917-610 sensor.
I got the same part from AutoZone yesterday and tried it before I went to the dealer. I didn't make it no further then the end of my driveway and shifted into drive and BAM! It jerked into drive, so that one's no good for me either .

I noticed to that the end was not beveled around the tip like the factory one is. Don't know if that makes a difference or not?

Originally Posted by jwick76
different part number for the OZ.
Is it true that the OZ gets a different part number then the other Lancers (for reference, mine is officially a 2002 OZ-Rally)?

That would explain a lot since none of the other aftermarket ones have worked for me. However, the dealer didn't ask me if it was an OZ or not. They asked me if it was turbo or not and I was like WTF since the only factory turbo Lancer is Evo and all of them have manual trans without the same speed sensors. Perhaps they got turbo confused with OZ and I actually need the one meant for "turbo"???
-----------------------------------------------------
Also, does anyone know the part number for the output sensor so I can find it on Mitsubishiparts.net? The general consensus around here is that it's mainly the input sensor causing the problem but I was just curious just in case it ends up being both.

Thanks!
Old Apr 29, 2013, 01:20 PM

Ok, so everything seems back to normal with the dealer part installed . The part number I got from the dealer was MR567292 which says it's an interchange for part number 8651A111 just for future reference.

Just in case, I'm still curious as to what the output sensor's part number is??
Old Sep 1, 2015, 07:14 PM

Is this part for a 2002 mitsubishi es lancer

Originally Posted by mattu
Ok, so everything seems back to normal with the dealer part installed . The part number I got from the dealer was MR567292 which says it's an interchange for part number 8651A111 just for future reference.

Just in case, I'm still curious as to what the output sensor's part number is??
will this part fit a 2002es mitsubishi lancer