Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

How to remove headliner

Old Aug 25, 2010, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to remove headliner

I finished removing my headliner today for paint, and i thought this might be a nice little how-to for those of you who would like to do this. It was a little bit of a pain in the butt at first, but with this, it should be pretty simple.

First, you will need to remove all of the pillars in the car. They arent hard to remove, they all just clip in and out except for the B-pillars (the ones with the seatbelts in them). In order to get that one off you need to pop the front of the seatbelt casing off and unscrew the bolt that is there. Once removed you can pop the pillar out and then screw the seatbelt back in and it is still functional.

Next, you will need to remove the oh $h!t handles. In order to remove these you will need to slide the plastic covers from the end to the middle. Sometimes they can be a little tough and you might need a screwdriver to pry it up and off. Just be gentle. Once those are off. there are 2 screws holding the handles on. Make sure you keep ahold of the handle as well as the pieces on it because there are a couple pieces that might fall apart if you dont hold on to it all as you are unscrewing it.

Next you will need to remove the sunvisor and clip. The sunvisor comes off with 2 screw. The clip is a little trickier. You will need to use 2 screwdrivers to do this. You need to push one screwdriver in on the drivers side and the passengers side of the clip, there are two tabs underneath there that connect ot to the car. Once depressed, you will need to pry it down and out. It takes a little muscle, so dont be afraid to pry hard, just be gentle at the same time. Wiggle it a little to get it loose. This is what they look like to get an idea.

After that you will need to go back to the back of the headliner again and take out the 3 plastic clips that hold it up in the back. These are also easy to remove using 2 screwdrivers to pry on each side. Be gentle with these because you need to use them again when you put it back up. If you break these you will need to buy more.

Last but not least, you need to go back up to the front and un screw the dome light. take the plastic cover off the light and there are 2 screws underneath there. Unscrew those and you will need to unplug the light. once unplugged, your headliner is out!
Old Aug 25, 2010, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

I will get more pics up tomorrow. Is there anything else anybody needs to know?
Old Aug 25, 2010, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yes, please tell us how do you actually take it out without bending/braking it, since it does not look like it could fit through one of the door openings
Old Aug 25, 2010, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

I'll let you know tomorrow. right now it's sitting on top of my seats. lol. it got dark so i decided to call it a night.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 03:20 PM
Evolving Member

It will fit through the rear passenger side door. You have to remove your passenger seat in order to do so. I had to do this whole process when my sunroof started grinding gears. I fixed it but a screw came out again and now my sunroof no longer has a motor. Too much trouble.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

Actually I got it to go through the rear door without removing any seats. I just put both front seats all the way down and it came out pretty easy. I went through the driver side so basically after pushing it all the way forward I just tilted it slightly sideways(L side down) and it slid out pretty well. Mine didn't bend but if it did thats actually fine it's just the creasing that you have to watch out for.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

yeah, it can bend quite a bit, you just have to make sure you dont actually fold it and put a crease in it. i removed the passenger seat too.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:30 PM

Any pics of finished headliner? Curious to see how it came out on an Evo!
Old Aug 3, 2012, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by silkey00
I will get more pics up tomorrow. Is there anything else anybody needs to know?
Those visor clips are very difficult to get out. The double screwdriver works with some effort but be very careful.
When I did this the left hand screwdriver stabbed my right hand just below my index finger very deep hit a nerve and caused a lot of pain. Just saying if your going to use the double screwdriver method bet careful. On the second one I used a chisel and pried it of one side at a time but the clip ended up a little damaged and wouldn't go in tightly. I ended us wrapping it in some tape and it slid in there snug but I'm not sure how long it will last. I would rather just replace the clip for a non damaged one.

The two screws that came out of the motor were still in the liner so replacing them was easy and I added thread lock to both of them and the third screw that was still holding the motor in loosely. all said and done it went back together nicely and the sun roof works like new. Now for the pain in my hand...
Old Aug 3, 2012, 11:34 PM
Evolving Member

the headliner came out great. the dye has worn off a little above the visors where they rub it, but mostly only when it's extremely hot in my car. i did my headliner, visors, and seats all with the same material and it all came out great. it's been this way for about 2 years now.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 10:56 AM

You wouldnt happen to have any pics of the roof without the headliner. I have a bunch of little white clips that I can't remember where they go. They look like something screws into them but I could be wrong
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:52 PM

Sadly I need to do this in my Evo IV
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:59 PM

can you see there the antenna cable is routed with the headliner off?
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:50 AM

I don't recall seeing the antenna at all behind the headliner but I was focused on the task at hand. Sorry cant help you there.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:00 AM

Awakening this thread... rear dome light?

I'm interested in putting a rear dome light in my '04 OZ. An Evo dome light looks like a good fit form an appearance perspective, but the real issue is wiring it to the existing dome light supply - I doubt the extra lamp will cause trouble, but that will be a fuze change. Any advice on how to route the wiring?

I expect to mount this way back to avoid the sunroof. It's a dark cave back there with a black interior, and a dome light would be a plus.

Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to remove headliner