Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Engine Upgrades

Old Mar 9, 2013, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Upgrades

So ive decided lately that im going to stick with the 4b11 engine in my GTS for now, but im planning on up-grading the living daylights out of it, probably mostly with RRM parts. So far ive been thinking of the stage 3 upgrade kit and the over-sized tranny cooler, but in the coming years i will be planning on turbo-ing the engine (after college so im keeping that out of mind for now)

Base plan

-Over sized Tranny Cooler
-Stage 3 Kit
-- RRM V2 Air intake W/ K&N filter
-- RRM Timing advance
-- RRM Aluminum Pulley W/stainless steel wear band
-- RRM ECM W/ upgraded mapping

However now i'm left debating on a good exhaust system, should i get a 4-into-1 header then an exhaust or a full exhaust system? i'm unsure of whether or not a full exhaust would include headers or not.

My other question is what exhausts would be recommended as i plan on eventually getting a turbo i would prefer one that would be good with what im getting now and great with a turbo or good with both, not sure if that would be an issue though. My main concern is sound, i'm not a fan of obnoxious "ricer" mufflers though a louder high performance sound isn't a bad thing to me.

Does anybody have a suggestions or concerns based on this plan?
Old Mar 9, 2013, 01:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hantke
So ive decided lately that im going to stick with the 4b11 engine in my GTS for now, but im planning on up-grading the living daylights out of it, probably mostly with RRM parts. So far ive been thinking of the stage 3 upgrade kit and the over-sized tranny cooler, but in the coming years i will be planning on turbo-ing the engine (after college so im keeping that out of mind for now)

Base plan

-Over sized Tranny Cooler
-Stage 3 Kit
-- RRM V2 Air intake W/ K&N filter
-- RRM Timing advance
-- RRM Aluminum Pulley W/stainless steel wear band
-- RRM ECM W/ upgraded mapping

However now i'm left debating on a good exhaust system, should i get a 4-into-1 header then an exhaust or a full exhaust system? i'm unsure of whether or not a full exhaust would include headers or not.

My other question is what exhausts would be recommended as i plan on eventually getting a turbo i would prefer one that would be good with what im getting now and great with a turbo or good with both, not sure if that would be an issue though. My main concern is sound, i'm not a fan of obnoxious "ricer" mufflers though a louder high performance sound isn't a bad thing to me.

Does anybody have a suggestions or concerns based on this plan?
1. RRM **** is way overpriced. If you are gonna get an intake then stick with Takeda, Injen, or K&N.
2. RRM pulley is not balanced, therefore overtime will cause problems. Car requires a balanced pulley...look for an Alutec pulley. You can find them on the market place ******************
3. RRMs riming, and mapping crap is such a waste. Get the intake, OBX header(half the price), Exhaust, Pulley, 4g69 Throttle Body and get a real dyno tune.
4. Any exhaust you buy for your car will be useless if and when you boost. It wont matchup to the downpipe, and you are going to want to use 3inch piping with a turbo. With that being said there are a ton of options. Just youtube Lancer exhausts..there is GReddy, Tsudo n1 catback, Magnaflow, etc.
5. Dont ever boost your CVT. You are gonna be asking for a world of problems, and the most youll be able to run safely is 5psi. Just a waste.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by RoLLy
1. RRM **** is way overpriced. If you are gonna get an intake then stick with Takeda, Injen, or K&N.
2. RRM pulley is not balanced, therefore overtime will cause problems. Car requires a balanced pulley...look for an Alutec pulley. You can find them on the market place ******************
3. RRMs riming, and mapping crap is such a waste. Get the intake, OBX header(half the price), Exhaust, Pulley, 4g69 Throttle Body and get a real dyno tune.
4. Any exhaust you buy for your car will be useless if and when you boost. It wont matchup to the downpipe, and you are going to want to use 3inch piping with a turbo. With that being said there are a ton of options. Just youtube Lancer exhausts..there is GReddy, Tsudo n1 catback, Magnaflow, etc.
5. Dont ever boost your CVT. You are gonna be asking for a world of problems, and the most youll be able to run safely is 5psi. Just a waste.
I figured with the performance world you get what you pay for, Thanks for the heads up though!
1. I had been looking at a takeda intake but i do like K&N and use it exclusively on my motorcycles, I'll have to look into takeda some more for sure!
2.Really good info on the pulley, i was reading about their 70,000+ miles on their cars so i had assumed it was good, ive heard of alutec before, definitely added into my notebook!
3. OBX makes all 3 (Header, exhaust, pulley)?
4. Thanks, i didn't know that about exhausts (im new to the performance car upgrading world, ive been in diesel and motorcycles but thats about it)
5. Yet another reason I wish i couldve found a manual Trans GTS, !@#$... And everyone says its a waste of time + money to convert to a Manual tranny, though getting rid of this car isnt really an option for me.

*edit*
im looking through OBX right now and have yet to find anything my for my make / model (08 Lancer GTS) or engine, i'm still looking though so i could be wrong

pt 2
Getting an over-sized tranny cooler is still very important to me, ive already had over-heating issued on the tranny (long drive through scorching heat) leaving me stuck in a tiny town (like 4 trailers 2 gas stations a mini mart selling stuff to travelers) for a few hours while it cooled down

Last edited by Hantke; Mar 9, 2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 02:05 PM

I figured with the performance world you get what you pay for, Thanks for the heads up though!
1. I had been looking at a takeda intake but i do like K&N and use it exclusively on my motorcycles, I'll have to look into takeda some more for sure!
2.Really good info on the pulley, i was reading about their 70,000+ miles on their cars so i had assumed it was good, ive heard of alutec before, definitely added into my notebook!
3. OBX makes all 3 (Header, exhaust, pulley)?
4. Thanks, i didn't know that about exhausts (im new to the performance car upgrading world, ive been in diesel and motorcycles but thats about it)
5. Yet another reason I wish i couldve found a manual Trans GTS, !@#$... And everyone says its a waste of time + money to convert to a Manual tranny, though getting rid of this car isnt really an option for me.

*edit*
im looking through OBX right now and have yet to find anything my for my make / model (08 Lancer GTS) or engine, i'm still looking though so i could be wrong

pt 2
Getting an over-sized tranny cooler is still very important to me, ive already had over-heating issued on the tranny (long drive through scorching heat) leaving me stuck in a tiny town (like 4 trailers 2 gas stations a mini mart selling stuff to travelers) for a few hours while it cooled down
Tranny cooler isnt a bad idea...in that case, id just go with RRMs..As far as you get what you pay for...you are right. But as long as you stick with brand names youll be good. All listed will do the job. Here is the header...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-SS-Exhau...d62b08&vxp=mtr
Old Mar 9, 2013, 05:02 PM

Well I'm glad I read this. I think its time I get rid of my cvt, gts sportback. Everything I've done is reversible. It's a great car but it either needs more power or less weight. Neither of which I am willing to hassle with. I am so disappointed. But I'm getting tired of those crappy hondas smokin me. Lol! Good luck with yours friend.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 09:04 PM

Talking

Awesome, thank you rolly!

Originally Posted by mitsuxtwo
Well I'm glad I read this. I think its time I get rid of my cvt, gts sportback. Everything I've done is reversible. It's a great car but it either needs more power or less weight. Neither of which I am willing to hassle with. I am so disappointed. But I'm getting tired of those crappy hondas smokin me. Lol! Good luck with yours friend.
Not sure if this is sarcasm or not. I'm assuming so?
But no I'm.not tired of crappy Honda's smoking me, I own the twistys where I come from I'm just looking to make my car the best it can be, not interested in getting another anytime.soon either!
Old Mar 10, 2013, 07:20 AM

Awesome, thank you rolly!

Not sure if this is sarcasm or not. I'm assuming so?
But no I'm.not tired of crappy Honda's smoking me, I own the twistys where I come from I'm just looking to make my car the best it can be, not interested in getting another anytime.soon either!
I apologize for the negativity. That's just my frustration with not finding good power upgrades for our cars. I honestly thought more could be done to make it faster but I've seen nothing significant short of spending 4 grand on a turbo kit.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by mitsuxtwo
I apologize for the negativity. That's just my frustration with not finding good power upgrades for our cars. I honestly thought more could be done to make it faster but I've seen nothing significant short of spending 4 grand on a turbo kit.
That was my first impression after buying my GTS, but these cars have amazing handling compared to competitors and that's when I changed my tune, I spend most of my time in the twisties anyways where handling beats out speed any day, I see mustangs that cant keep up in the
corners all the time, sure they can out horse power and top speed me any place any day, but their handling is crap compared to these guys, can't wait to see what an evoX or msr could do though, I'm betting they'd leave me in the dust, then again at 18 I can't afford insurance on a nicer car like that anyways!
Old Mar 10, 2013, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

I have an 09 2.0 with a cvt and while i wouldnt consider it a fast car i dont think ive ever been beat out by a honda except this 1 civic si with a few mods. i dunno why ppl think these are so slow, i can get mine zipping along pretty good. a good comparison would be your average mustang (in the same price range as my lancer would be). i raced one several times in a row and we were window to window most of the time, he would take me off the line but id be right beside him by the time he was in 3rd. Then i rented one on a work trip i took recently and tried it for myself and felt the same thing, went off the line faster but in a 1/4 mile id beat it or be right beside it. again i realise my car is not fast, neither is a stock mustang, i just wouldnt consider it a grandmas car.

Last edited by Etrain49; Mar 10, 2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Etrain49
I have an 09 2.0 with a cvt and while i wouldnt consider it a fast car i dont think ive ever been beat out by a honda except this 1 civic si with a few mods. i dunno why ppl think these are so slow, i can get mine zipping along pretty good. a good comparison would be your average mustang (in the same price range as my lancer would be). i raced one several times in a row and we were window to window most of the time, he would take me off the line but id be right beside him by the time he was in 3rd. Then i rented one on a work trip i took recently and tried it for myself and felt the same thing, went off the line faster but in a 1/4 mile id beat it or be right beside it. again i realise my car is not fast, neither is a stock mustang, i just wouldnt consider it a grandmas car.
I don't think I would go so far as to say a 2.0L 4 banger could be anywheres close to a V8 mustang in a straight line, but our cars own the corners! It is quite slow compared to my motorcycle though (heavily modified compares to my car) and I'm OK with that as I see vehicles in 4 categories
1 Speed - get a motorcycle
2 Muscle - old school camaros, fire birds, GTO, chevelle, nova etc
3 Power - get a pickup truck
4 personal enjoyment ( this covers luxury, rally, specialized stuff etc.)
There's alway an exception and everyone sees things differently, but this is my point of view.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Etrain49
You must be racing base model Hondas, and older Si models. Same goes with the v6 Mustang...they are slow. 2.0 Lancer is slow..it has a baseline of like 135whp. Thats not very much.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 09:08 AM

Depending what you're trying to really do with your exhaust, I would just buy a muffler and take it to a muffler shop and have them take your glasspack off (maybe even your catalytic converter) and put the muffler on, that's what I did to mine, sounds great, and if you're trying to get a turbo, ake them put a 3" straight pipe on also, it'll be so much cheaper than a whole exhaust system or even an axle back exhaust.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

Yes exactly, i race cars in the same class/price range as what i have ( i am talking about the v6 mustang). To call the car slow would mean it under performs against other vehicles in its class, which i dont think it does, its as fast as its supposed to be. i think some ppl just get hung on the fact that it looks like it should be faster than it is simply because of the exterior design.

I should probably get back on topic though. I myself have a magnaflow catback for my exhaust, and it would probably be a candidate for what youre looking for. Very deep sounding and coupled with the injen sri that i installed there was definately a noticeable performance difference. It sounds as opposite to ricey as you can get.

Last edited by Etrain49; Mar 11, 2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:42 AM

Thanks for the info
I was looking at the magnaflow and the SR (spacing the maker right now, ill edit it later), i havent heard the magnaflow yet but i have heard the SR and it sounds nice
Old Mar 14, 2013, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

I should probably also note that it is fairly loud. My kids definately know when daddy is home when i pull in the driveway, lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Upgrades