Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Buschur Racing - 2013 Ford Focus ST - R&D Thread

Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buschur Racing - 2013 Ford Focus ST - R&D Thread

SEPTEMBER 27, 2012

Mitsubishi has once again done it to us and are cancelling the EVOX. The fact of the matter is we need a new platform regardless. I've had my eye on the new Focus ST since I first saw it in 2011. I ordered the car back in about February of this year and it finally came in two days ago.

First impressions are it's a great car. The power feels real nice, no turbo lag, the engine is very responsive. The handling is also great, it's a firm ride but not harsh and the cornering feels real good. It's very easy to get the rear end hung out in a corner, which is the opposite of the typical push you get in in most FWD platforms. The engine is a 2 liter turbo, direct injection engine. The wait will be for a tuning solution. We are a SCT dealer/tuner and I'm hoping they come up with a solution quickly.

We got the car on the dyno and it put down 242 ft lbs of torque and 213 whp! The car makes boost instantly. I thought the factory boost gauge had to be wrong because just on a quick free rev I was seeing nearly 10 psi and peak seemed to be about 18 psi. Well once hooked to the Mustang Dyno I verified that the gauge is on the money. I can't believe just a quick rev of the throttle in neutral will make 10 psi of boost, if you put a good tire on the car and did that the car would have to leave the starting line very-very well. Keep in mind, the EVO8's only made about 214 whp on our dyno back when the cars were new and had less torque than this by a considerable amount, so the car is really fun to drive.

Last night I decided to pop the ST's cherry with only 68 miles on it and a completely full tank of 93 in it. I headed out to Norwalk and made some passes in it. No mods, no weight reduction.

First pass I used the traction control and ran a 14.98 at 95 mph, sixty foot was a 2.55. I thought I could probably do better without the traction control and the next pass did a little burn out to clean off the tires, the car had smoke rolling off both front tires in the burn out box Next run was a 14.79 at 95 mph with a 2.37 sixty foot time, I had a slight bog. Next run I did the same thing, right down to the slight bog and ran a 14.72 at 97.34 mph. I figured I'd give it one more shot and try to get after it a bit harder on the launch to get rid of the little bog I was getting, I got a little over anxious and spun the tires, slowing the 60' to a 2.61 and running a 15.07 at 95.66 mph.

The car shifts FANTASTIC. I was getting a little clutch smell so I'm going to guess the car is going to need an upgraded clutch fairly quickly.

Here's a video of the dyno runs and the drag runs we made with the car so far.

First up is a turbo back exhaust and we have a rear engine mount on order already and it's being built by Torque Solutions for us. The car has a major clunk on a hard 1-2 shift or when you leave the line hard, it needs a better rear engine mount to keep that from happening. We move into a better intercooler and some nice looking intercooler plumbing after the exhaust and then probably be held up for a bit waiting on a tuning option.

Here are some pictures Jarrod took of the car, bone stock with about 65 miles on it.

Last edited by Jrod@Buschur; Oct 25, 2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:10 AM
Former Sponsor

We got the car on the scales today. I figured it was easier to get a good base weight on the car full of fuel so I filled it up with 93 to start.

Starting weight was 3224 pounds. Corner weights are without driver.

LF 965 RF 983
LR 668 RR 608

Not too bad.

We are weight fanatics here. Anything we can do to remove weight from a car without ruining it, we find a way to get it done. It's difficult to see in the rear hatch of the car, even with the package tray removed. The car has a large spare tire in it and a tool kit. Ours also has the amp and sub woofer in the rear.

We removed the spare, tool kit, jack, spare tire cover, package tray and the styrofoam around the spare. We then moved the amp around a bit and re-mounted it on the back of the rear seat. Corner balancing afterwards was improved and the weight was down a pretty incredible 84 pounds!

Total weight after, 3140 pounds.

LF 971 RF 969
LR 597 RR 600

Next week we'll be making our Lithium battery kit for the car, should drop a solid 30 pounds off the nose. Exhaust will hopefully be next week too. By the time we get those new mods done and run some fuel out of the car I am targeting 29XX pounds.

Also great news the SCT software is being worked on and should be released soon.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:11 AM
Former Sponsor

TS Prototype Billet Engine Mount Installed:

INSTALLED:

Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:11 AM
Former Sponsor

**INSTOCK AND SHIPPING NOW**

*UPDATED 12-5-12* There seems to be a LOT of talk about our filter as of late on just about every ST forum out there so I would like to post this just so this is out there.

Green Filters DOES make our filters for us. We were not a fan of the Green color so we opted for a different color. Color is the only difference with our filter.

Here are some other shots of our filter next to the OEM piece.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

We are proud to announce the release of our own custom drop in air filter for the 2013 Focus ST. This is our first prototype. They will be here & ready to ship in just a couple of days. We're taking pre-orders now.

Unlike the stock filter that closes off the end of the air box.

STOCK:

The BR filter offers an air funnel on the end to allow more air flow.

PRODUCTION BR FILTER:

This filter opens up the sound of the ST A LOT! You can definitely hear the turbo now. It sounds mean!

This filter can be used now with your stock intake system and we will also be incorporating this & using it with our intake system. What that means is for you is that you aren't going to buy 2 different filters.

Features:

* - Maximum air flow for more power & torque
* - Improves engine efficiency (better gas milage)
* - Washable and resuable filter is environmentally friendly
* - Super strength to withstand engine intake pressure
* - Highest quality control on rubber injection molding
* - Pre-oiled so they are ready to install right out of the box
* - Extra pleats used for maximum surface area
* - Woven cotton to insure the greatest flow of air
* - Will NOT void vehicle warranty
* - Limited lifetime guarantee
* - Superior filtration

PRICE: $54.95

We take all major credit cards over the phone 440-839-1900.

-or-

You can purchase through our Ebay store - http://www.ebay.com/itm/130806154814...witem=&vxp=mtr

We will have an ST section on our website VERY soon as well so all orders can be placed at www.buschurracing.com

Take care!

Last edited by Jrod@Buschur; Dec 5, 2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Buschur Racing downpipe, catback and air filter kit, dyno'd with video!

The video has a ton of information in it, please take a look.

I'll also give you a personal run down of it all.

1. The catback on the car stock weighs in at 44 pounds. Our catback weighs in at 23.9 pounds, a nice 20.1 pound savings.

2. The stock downpipe weighs in at 13.8 pounds. Our offroad downpipe weighs in at 4.7 pounds, a nice savings of 9.1 pounds.

We chose to do a 2.5" catback. The system is built entirely of 304 grade stainless steel and is mandrel bent. The tip is oval 3.5" x 6" that fits real nice in the rear bumper. There are reasons why we chose a 2.5" system and I realize everyone is going to want to jump on a 3" catback system. Let me explain.

First, the clearances on the car are VERY tight, so there is not a lot of room to squeeze a 3" exhaust through. This is going to for sure cause rattling problems. Second, we have dyno tested and dyno tested and dyno tested and then ran thousands of passes at the track over years. A properly designed mandrel bent 2.5" exhaust system not only weighs less than a 3" system it will also have no performance losses over the 3" system until about 400 hp. It's going to be awhile before we are worrying about 400 hp in the ST. Then last there is the noise. I guess I am finally getting old (46) as the constant droning and loud exhausts aren't as appealing to me anymore. I want to hear when I'm on the throttle and not hear it when I am off the throttle. This catback does that, it sounds fantastic at WOT and rowing through the gears. At cruise/idle it is dead quiet though. Gains by just bolting the cat back on were, 14 whp/12 ft lbs

The downpipe. Looking at the stock cat/downpipe on the car I'd have guessed the power gains would have been huge. Unfortunately they were not. The stock part just looks like it's designed horribly. We built our downpipe from 304 grade SS, it's mandrel bent and has provisions for both 02 sensors. The downpipe is 3" to make for a nice transition coming out of the turbo and then through a reducer goes down to 2.5" to mate up to the catback. The gains were minimal in the HP department but the change in sound above about 2800 rpm are high. IF you like your car to sound good but not loud, then I'd suggest keeping the stock downpipe/cat on the car. Gains just bolting the offroad downpipe on were 7 whp/7 ft lbs.

We are also an SCT dealer. This is not in the video but I want to touch on it. The gains were 24 ft lbs and 13 whp on our dyno with the tune from SCT. I also have the custom tuning software now and am working on a custom Buschur Racing tune for the car that will be available soon.

You WILL get a check engine light, although it takes quite awhile for it to come on, with the offroad downpipe. This can be shut off in the SCT Tune and will be something we offer for offroad use.

Here's the video, enjoy it!

Here are some of photos of the products as well as some dyno sheets for comparison of what we've done up to this point.

Buschur Racing Catback Exhaust:

Buschur Racing Downpipe

STOCK vs BR Catback w/ Air Filter Kit:

BR Catback w/ Air Filter Kit to BR Turboback w/ Air Filter Kit

BR Turboback w/ Air Filter Kit to SCT Tune addition

Stock to BR TBE, Air Filter Kit & SCT Tune

__________________________________________________ ____________________
OCTOBER 26, 2012

With that said, we removed the exhaust today in order to take it to our bender so production can be started of the tubing.

In order to have an "exhaust" on the car while the tubing is away being bent we fabbed up a 2 muffler assembly with a turn down that stops right before the rear wheels. You see nothing from the rear or underneath. The system is still catless and very quiet with zero resonance in the cabin.

Here is what we did for the time being. I just took a couple quick shots with my iPhone.

Without a tip.

__________________________________________________ ____________________
OCTOBER 27, 2012

We received our production air filter's in for the ST.

BR ST Filter Kit is on the left, OEM is on the right.

Last edited by Jrod@Buschur; Oct 26, 2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:12 AM
Former Sponsor

**PRODUCTION PRODUCT RELEASES**

Without further ado we're proud to release to the ST community...

The Buschur Racing 2013+ Focus ST 3" to 2 1/2" Catless Stainless Steel Downpipe w/ flex:

- **MADE IN THE USA**
- 3" to 2 1/2" Stainless Steel
- High Quality Design
- Stainless Steel Flanges
- Includes 02 Fouler
- Eliminates Catalytic Converter

$209 - **FREE SHIPPING**

__________________________________________________ ____________________________

The Buschur Racing 2013+ Focus ST 2 1/2" Catback Exhaust:

Buschur Racing is proud to announce the release of their catback exhaust for the 2013+ Ford Focus ST. This system is made here in the UNITED STATES in Wakeman, Ohio. Made from 304 mandrel bent stainless steel, 6" oval tip or 3 1/2" oval tip, complete 2 1/2" design that's good for 450whp. This is a direct bolt on system.

The stock ST exhaust weighs in at 44lbs, the Buschur Racing system is only 23.9lbs. Thats over a 20lbs weight savings!

Our system is dyno tested and proven right here at our Wakeman facility on our 500 series Mustang dyno. Dyno sheet is pictured.

DYNO PROVEN INCREASES OF:

HORSEPOWER - 14

TORQUE - 12

Buschur Racing 2 1/2" ST Catback exhaust w/ interchangeable tips: (pictured with oval)

Dual 3 1/2" tips:

Oval 6" tip:

The sound of the exhaust components will remain the same no matter of tip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=uWSMASLbflQ

Buschur Racing 2013+ Focus ST 2 1/2" Catback Exhaust

- ** MADE IN THE USA**
- Over a 20lbs weight savings from stock
- Mandrel Bent Tubing
- FULL 2 1/2" High Quality Design
- 304 stainless steel tubing
- Includes everything needed for installation
- Stainless Steel Flanges & Hangers

$620 - **FREE SHIPPING**

__________________________________________________ ____________________________

Buschur Racing 2013+ Focus ST 2 1/2" Lower IC Pipe:

Buschur Racing is proud to announce the release of their 2 1/2" lower intercooler pipe for the 2013+ Ford Focus ST. This pipe is made here in the UNITED STATES in Wakeman, Ohio. Made from 2 1/2" 304 mandrel bent stainless steel. This is a direct bolt on piece.

Buschur Racing 2013+ Focus ST 2 1/2" Lower Intercooler Pipe

- ** MADE IN THE USA**
- Increased throttle response
- Mandrel Bent Tubing
- FULL 2 1/2" High Quality Design
- 304 stainless steel
- Includes couplings & clamps for installation

PRICING:
Brushed Finish: $245 - **FREE SHIPPING**
Powder Coated Finish: $275 - ** FREE SHIPPING**

They're available by calling the shop to place an order (440-839-1900) or by visiting our Ebay store.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130822329902...ewitem&vxp=mtr

Take care!

Last edited by Jrod@Buschur; Dec 20, 2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:13 AM
Former Sponsor

**Reserved for future posts**

Last edited by Jrod@Buschur; Oct 25, 2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:24 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks for posting this here. The Focus ST info out there is very disjointed and I haven't done a good job keeping up because of it.

Question - I notice that everyone is focusing on the rear engine mount to deal with the front to back roll on the engine. Why isn't anyone making a front mount to compliment it? Seems like only half of the issue would be addressed by only replacing one mount.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
There rear was the easiest to address right off. It's going to need a front too actually as the rear didn't solve the entire problem. That is already in the works.

The car is very-very good. I hate to say it here but I like it better than the EVOX. It's more raw like the EVO8-9 and doesn't pretend to be a luxury car. One simple button and the traction control is OFF and the car now is useless in 1st gear and will break the tires loose most of 2nd gear. It's putting down 270 ft lbs as of yesterday and nearly 250 whp. Once I get a good grip on tuning it those numbers will go way up. It barely hits 20 psi now.

The car also oversteers like no FWD I have ever driven, it's a blast to drive with an emergency brake good enough to spin it easily! hahaha

I really like the car.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:47 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Indeed, I really can't wait to take delivery on mine. Despite being FWD it seems like a fantastic all-around car to live with.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
very nice! what does the first post mean about the evo x? that it's goign out of production soon?
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i am a big fan of the Focus ST and the DI engine will make a lot of power eventually, just hard to dial them in at first, got to find that sweet spot..they love making tq though since DI engines can be leaned out more. I want to see what Chryslers comeback is, there is an SRT4 Dart in the making just not sure if its going to be awd or fwd. The exhaust looks and sounds good but i would make the tip a bit bigger so it fills the bumper gap some more.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buschur Racing - 2013 Ford Focus ST - R&D Thread