Silver Sponsor
Personal Sales Rating: (56)
2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution
My Garage

Drives: '03 evo8 time attack car, '10 tundra tow vehicle, '03 evo daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerdeitzel View Post
I'm curios as well?

I have seen some discussion about the cage not being FIA rally legal. If you saw those pics from a few pages ago you will see the main hoop would not have withstood another impact on the passenger side. And it seems that they didn't even hit the front hoop part. I think that it was more luck then anything that they survived.

Premonition? No, just knew there was a good chance they were going to wreck.

the picture embargo was because lots of media people are interested in them and pikes peak people have rights to them as well (so those photographers who took pictures trying to sell them to me, you can't )

since 100's of people were taking pictures of the wreckage, i'm going to share what i have of the wreckage with a professional analysis of what exactly happened.

we didn't build it to "rally spec" because its not a rally car. if pikes peak thought it was a "rally" i'm sure they would use "rally rules". our cage was built to NASA specs, which was 95% of what pikes peak required. pikes peak had us add some additional gusseting in the halo above the occupants to 100% in compliance with their requirements.

from the start, the car rolled in the air to land directly on the passenger side roof line. this was the most severe impact as the car had a lot of momentum flying off the mountain. coincidentally, this is EXACTLY where your rally cages have additional structure that we argued about a few months ago. its clear from the pictures that even with the car falling 100ft down, and landing directly on that point, that a NASA cage is pretty f'ing strong.

Click the image to open in full size.

here you can see the passenger side forward bar buckled under the load, but with the added gusseting to the A pillar, and the additional tube bracing it with the strut tower, the forward bar didn't "collapse" and crush the passenger.

the worst damage done to the car was the OEM b pillar buckling inward and hitting the seat.

it actually hit it so hard it ripped the seat out of the floor along the front edge.

this is where Yuris shoulder injury occured. thankfully it was only a dislocation and nothing more. i know hes in a lot of pain, but it could have been MUCH worse.

also, Yuris helmet went back and hit the roll hoop brace and cracked his helmet when the seat ripped out the floor (it was anchored by 1/8" steel plate welded to the OEM floor pan and also had large fender washers backing it from the underside). this is why he was care flighted out of the area as the first responders have certain procedures for injurys they see. in that case they took the safest route which we thank them for even though the hospital visit cleared him of head injuries.

you can see that in addition to the OEM b pillar collapsing inward, the NASCAR bars helped keep it from intruding into the passenger any farther. i believe they saved him from much more injury. also the seat ripping up and "giving" to the b-pillar also might have saved him from further injury.

last from that picture you can see the main roll hoop buckled outward. since i had so much triangulation at that node, it didn't completely collapse. i had the required brace back to the strut, and an additional optional brace going diagonally to the driver side rear strut.
here you can see that the "shape" of the roll hoop stayed largely intact and was still very stable due to the triangulation within it.

the driver side floor impacted pretty hard and was pushed upward under jeremys feet. thankfully it didn't puncture it, and you can see the NASCAR bars on his side sustained some impacts as well.

the top of the roll hoop took a lot of impacts from the rolling

the front of the car was relatively unscathed as well. the engine, transmission and tranfercase all appear to be ok from first looks.

the oil pan had a dent on the front edge, and didn't start leaking oil until they dragged it all the way up and the tow truck picked it up from it, when it finally punctured.

the entire body of the car came off the car:

roof, rear lexan, front windshield glass, all the doors, front fenders, hood, front and rear bumper, and even the trunk.

the fuel cell was completely untouched thankfully.

when the passenger side rear door came off, it pulled the fire extingisher cord, releasing the extinguishant on the occupants feet and engine bay.

the car required 350ft of cable to pull it out which means it traveled around 120-150 yards.

hopefully that shows some insight into how a NASA cage handles 14 rollovers, a 100ft flight down a 45 degree slope into a rock field. honestly i never wanted to test the strength of my cage, but i followed the rules and it save jeremy and yuris life. so i don't want to hear about how rally cages are built better.
email: evokevin@gmail.com
Phone + Text messages: 817-776-2170

We use My Shop Assist Software so you can follow your build online, with pictures and records available to you anytime, from anywhere.