Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Clunking sound when turning wheel

Old May 20, 2012, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clunking sound when turning wheel

Hopefully this will be an easy answer for someone. When i am at a stop and jerk the steering wheel back and forth rapidly i hear a cluck come from the front end with each turn. I think my stabilizer end links might be bad but not sure if that is the sound. 100k miles on the car.

Thanks!
Old May 21, 2012, 08:22 AM
Evolving Member

Nobody? Suspension is not my area of expertise on cars and just want to try and narrow it down to what it might be.
Old May 21, 2012, 08:48 AM

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...n-turning.html

That's what mine sounds like, I get clunking sometimes too. I'm replacing the rack and going from there =/
Old May 21, 2012, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

I don't think that is the same issue i am having. Mine is a solid clunk sound...there is play in something. I almost want to say it sounds like there is play in the axle, like it is shifting back and forth when i jerk the wheel back and forth. If i can't get a definitive answer from here i will prob just stop at a few mechanics and show them the problem, it will take 2 seconds to show them and see what they say.
Old May 21, 2012, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
why not take it to a shop to have diagnosed? Theres only soo many things that can clunk on your steering parts or suspension parts. Jack up the car visually inspect any bushings or rubber parts ( ball joints, tie rod ends Control arm bushings) for worn out or torn. If that checks out, shake the tire at 12 and 6 o clock feel for play, if nothing, then do it at 9 and 3 o clock shake side to side feel for play. Do the other side as well. Whens the last time your struts were replaced? Still have the original upper strut mounts? Youll find your issue somewhere in that diagnosis. Good luck
Old May 21, 2012, 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dastallion951
Theres only soo many things that can clunk on your steering parts or suspension parts.
That is why i put this on here in hopes that someone would be able to pinpoint the issue for me pretty easily. I guess there are still too many things that cause cause a front end clunk sound when yanking the wheel back and forth. I will get a mechanic to take a better look.

I have no play when pulling on the front wheels at any position when off the ground and shocks were replaced 2 years ago. I poked around and diagnosed as much as i could and can't pinpoint what it is.
Old May 21, 2012, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
check to see if you have dirt up in the fender well where the springs sit on the struts, sometimes the dirt can cause the spring to slip in the perch n move around which can possibly be causing it, spray some compressed air up in that area. U said you replaced the struts, did you replace the mounts at same time?
Old May 21, 2012, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Check the inner and outer tie rod ends. If nothing there have someone turn the wheel while you watch for the entire rack moving.
Old May 21, 2012, 02:13 PM

Are you sure it's the suspension? I know our drive shafts like to make a lot of noise. Also if you have an aftermarket exhaust which I'm sure you did looking at your mods, sometimes the downpipe can bounce into a bolt that sticks out on the drive shaft. So I'd check those things as well.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by barneyb
Check the inner and outer tie rod ends. If nothing there have someone turn the wheel while you watch for the entire rack moving.
In the event of the rack moving what is the fix? New rack bushings?