Notices

Aggressive Wheels on 2004-2006 Lancer

Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aggressive Wheels on 2004-2006 Lancer

For those wondering, I'm not pissed off that you guys are asking, but I'm just making this thread so that you can ask the questions here, which others might want to know the answer to, now everyone can see the answer.

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS STRICTLY MY OPINION AND NOT FROM A PRO.

current Setup:

17x9 +20 Wheels
215/40/17 Tires
5mm spacer on rears
BC Racing Coilovers 10kg/8kg
-1 camber all around
Fenders rolled and PULLED
Rubbing? Yes at 85% steering lock.

Last edited by k3lv; Feb 22, 2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:27 PM
Evolved Member

Hi k3lv,

First of all, your car is awesome man...seriously, it looks really legit!!!
I'm planning on an aggressive set-up for my RA 2005 wheels but a little bit less than you though . It's not that I don't like it but a don't have the courage you do haha!!!
Maybe this question have been asked to you 100 times but I followed you a little on the forum and never found nothing concluent. I know your tire and wheels set up is 17x9 +20 on 215/40/17 and I'm planning more like 17x8(maybe 8.5) +35 to +40 on 205/40/17. I would like you to give me some advice about what modifications are needed to accomplish it cleanly!
Just notice that I have tein-s tech lowering springs (no coilovers )...
First things first, a 8 wide wheel will definitely have some stretch on a 205 tire, so I hope you're ok with that. To fit a 17x8 +35 I'd say you would have to at roll the lip on the back fenders. Either roll, or trim that lip that runs under the fender well(you'll feel it the moment you reach your hand in).

Now from my experience, S-Techs are relatively low in the front, even lower than my coilovers. Its a 1.5inch drop iirc. I think you would barely be able to fit a +35 but it will most likely rub on the fender liner(plastics) when you turn your wheel.

Honestly to all the people who want to run some stance on their Lancer, I strongly recommend you think twice and take the proper route on doing it. What I mean is, don't just take the internets word, get the wheels you want, fit it with the tire of your choice, bring it to the shop and see if you need any adjustments done to the body and make it work.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
aggressive tires > aggressive wheels
Old Feb 23, 2011, 04:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by k3lv
First things first, a 8 wide wheel will definitely have some stretch on a 205 tire, so I hope you're ok with that. To fit a 17x8 +35 I'd say you would have to at roll the lip on the back fenders. Either roll, or trim that lip that runs under the fender well(you'll feel it the moment you reach your hand in).

Now from my experience, S-Techs are relatively low in the front, even lower than my coilovers. Its a 1.5inch drop iirc. I think you would barely be able to fit a +35 but it will most likely rub on the fender liner(plastics) when you turn your wheel.

Honestly to all the people who want to run some stance on their Lancer, I strongly recommend you think twice and take the proper route on doing it. What I mean is, don't just take the internets word, get the wheels you want, fit it with the tire of your choice, bring it to the shop and see if you need any adjustments done to the body and make it work.
i had the 17x8 +35 on mine, K3lv is right, you have to roll the rear fender lip, i also used 215/40/17's. i did have 215/45/17's but it was just a little to thick and i was rubbing the plastic inner liner more then i liked so i whiched them out. i also had to use 3mm spacers in the rear. i did get a clank on some rough bumps but other then that it was fine. i was also lowered on tein s-tech.
-Flip
Old Feb 23, 2011, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by k3lv

Thanks for the quick answer it's ...appreciate it!!!
And by the way yes I want the stretch because I like the look of it and it also give me a little space under the fenders. I know that my teins are an inconvenient but I'm working hard to put some coilovers on it!
Do you have some advice on great coilovers for this type of wheels set up?
Old Feb 23, 2011, 07:32 AM
Evolving Member

I by no means have an aggressive wheel setup...
17x7 +43 Wheels
215/40-17 tres
Tein S-Tech lowering springs
Rubbing: at 90-95% steering lock, I get slight rubbing on the inner plastic fender up front.

K3lv, with the spacing I currently have, how "bad" do you think it would be if I threw some 3mm to 5mm spacers on the fronts and rears (net offset of +40 to +38)? Do you think I'd hit any of the metal fender (either front or rear)?

My goal is to get my wheels more "flush" to the outside Not extreme, just moreso than right now. I'm not opposed to getting out the heat gun and massageing the inner plastic fender a little, if needed.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by stephRA
Do you have some advice on great coilovers for this type of wheels set up?
I like my BC Racing over Tein coilovers. Get them with a higher spring rate than stock.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BlackRaven
I by no means have an aggressive wheel setup...
17x7 +43 Wheels
215/40-17 tres
Tein S-Tech lowering springs
Rubbing: at 90-95% steering lock, I get slight rubbing on the inner plastic fender up front.

K3lv, with the spacing I currently have, how "bad" do you think it would be if I threw some 3mm to 5mm spacers on the fronts and rears (net offset of +40 to +38)? Do you think I'd hit any of the metal fender (either front or rear)?

My goal is to get my wheels more "flush" to the outside Not extreme, just moreso than right now. I'm not opposed to getting out the heat gun and massageing the inner plastic fender a little, if needed.
Well 3mm to the front and 5mm to the back won't hurt, but you have to know how minimal that is(whip out a ruler). I don't think you'll hit the metal fender on that setup. S techs are pretty stiff
Old Feb 23, 2011, 01:20 PM

Something I don't understand is that Flip had 17x8 +35 and just a slight rubbing in the front inner fender but also BlackRaven with his 17x7 +43 had a slight rubbing too. How can it be possible because as I see it, Flip's wheels are alot wider than BlackRaven so it should be rubbing a lot more...need a little help here haha!!!
Old Feb 23, 2011, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

That had me wondering as well because when I had 17x7 +42 wheels it never rubbed. I can only imagine there is some sort of sag on blackravens suspension that dropped it more? It shouldn't rub but I just took his word for it
Old Feb 23, 2011, 03:27 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When I had my 17x7 +42 I didn't rub either.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 05:05 PM

That's what I taught...+42 with this size of wheels is considered the best set up for our cars. That is not what I want though!!!
Old Feb 23, 2011, 05:10 PM

Sorry to be a little off topic but I had to mention it...Why do Rota grid or p45 wheels, which are so sick by the way, have incredibly low offset for the 9 inches and higher wheels but under that size there is nothing lower than 45?
Do you have suggestions of wheels with the similar look but with lower offsets (ex XXR 552)
Old Feb 23, 2011, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

I cannot explain directly but I imagine it has to do with market and demand. How many people want to run the medium? Its either they go hard(low offset) or go simple(higher offset). that is just a guess though.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 07:27 AM

I guess you're right...it sucks anyway hahaha!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aggressive Wheels on 2004-2006 Lancer