Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Car pulls from side to side

Old Apr 8, 2012, 03:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car pulls from side to side

Sometimes when I'm driving and the road gets a little uneven, my car pulls from side to side and I have to really hold onto the steering wheel or else it feels like I'm gonna crash

I still have the stock tires (12,500 miles on them) but I'm getting new ones in a few days. I just had my alignment done a couple months ago. Is it the tire wear that is causing my car to do this? Thanks
Old Apr 8, 2012, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Let me guess: you have the Mitsu-suggested amount of rear toe. If so, cut it in half or go all the way down to zero.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
If it's pulling both right and left then it's most likely what Iowa99 said: your toe is probably way off. Also, there are roads that are just paved weird. So if that left and right thing happens only on the same roads, I'd pay close attention to the pavement. There's one part of a highway near me where it's paved like a wave and every car does that there.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Iowa999
Let me guess: you have the Mitsu-suggested amount of rear toe. If so, cut it in half or go all the way down to zero.
Yes and will do

Originally Posted by Segfault
If it's pulling both right and left then it's most likely what Iowa99 said: your toe is probably way off. Also, there are roads that are just paved weird. So if that left and right thing happens only on the same roads, I'd pay close attention to the pavement. There's one part of a highway near me where it's paved like a wave and every car does that there.
Yea it's only on certain roads but it scares the crap out of me
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a typical side effect of low profile tires. Due to the lower sidewall they flex less and tend to follow the road more. Unfortunately if the road is uneven the tires will still follow the pitch of the road.

There is one particular road where I live that my Lancer does it every time. But everywhere else it's fine.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It is true that lower-profile (or simply stiffer) tires will follow the road more and be more sensitive to toe, but deleting half or more of the rear toe-in (while making no other changes) decreases the issue that the OP asked about. Yes, some toe-in makes the car much more stable under hard braking, but the Mitsu-suggested amount of rear toe is ridiculous.