Notices

2010: AUX/RCA Cubby Mod

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2010, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2010: AUX/RCA Cubby Mod

I have a 2010 Ralliart with the Rockford Fosgate Deck and the RCA AUX cubby. I can fit my Nano and cable in the cubby and close it without problem, but I have to disconnect the cable from the RCA inputs in order to do so. The cubby door will not close with a cable plugged into the RCAs. I can't be alone here (or maybe others don't mind leaving the cubby door open or just pulling the cable out every time they park.) So I was wondering if anyone has removed, modified, or found a way to push the RCA jacks back? I love my new ride, and this is the one thing bugging me. I know I have other options, like running a cable from the RCA outputs on the back of the deck to the glove box, but it would be so much more convenient to be able to use the intended cubby. Has anyone figured this one out?
Attached Thumbnails 2010: AUX/RCA Cubby Mod-img_0261.jpg   2010: AUX/RCA Cubby Mod-img_0266.jpg  
Old May 9, 2010, 04:42 PM
Evolving Member

I tried a pair of 90deg RCA cables from Radio Shack and the door closed, but I really had to push to get the door to close and it was tighter than I wanted. Plus my iPod didn't fit (Mini) with the cable plugged in, so I gave up.

If you can find some really slim 90deg cables, you might be OK.
Old May 10, 2010, 07:33 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried a few different 90 degree RCA adapters (including ones from Radio Shack) and I wasn’t able to get the cubby door closed with any of them. Has anyone else taken the ashtray cubby and RCA cubby apart to see if the RCA inputs can be loosened from their mount and stuffed further back? I started to, by removing the two bolts located in the armrest but didn’t get further than that. Are there other bolts I'm missing in order to get the plastic around the shifter off?
Old May 12, 2010, 12:11 PM

what the eeff?!?

you have cubbies for that?!
i have '10 ralliart w/ premium package (the rockford/recaro seats) and my RCA/Aux jack is a stupd plastic flap and no cover!
say what!! aaww canadians always get jipped... i'll take a pic later and post to show you what I mean.. you lucky americans!!
Old May 12, 2010, 03:35 PM

Prob best way is to remove the connection from back of the unit and run your own set into the compartment under the arm rest.

Just a thought!!
Old May 13, 2010, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

yea now i am mad color,hud,and now a cubby, not to mention the silver rings on your dash and the grey plastc panel
Old Jun 7, 2010, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Wasurumo
yea now i am mad color,hud,and now a cubby, not to mention the silver rings on your dash and the grey plastc panel
And the chrome around the sst
Old Jun 9, 2010, 07:30 AM
Evolving Member

Those RCA jacks are a retarded. I don't know why they weren't originally pushed back so the door would close.
This is definitely on my to do list.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 05:03 PM

If you don't want to worry about the rca jacks go to the dealer and buy the ipod cord that plugs into the back of ANY of the stock stereos that comes with the lancers and use that. Then there is only one cord that has to be seen and you can close the cubby up thats what i did
Old Jul 8, 2010, 12:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
@EazilyAmuzed: Can you get the part # of this cord? I'd be interested in this, especially if it works with MMCS.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 04:10 PM

its MZ360136EX "MP3/iPod cable (w/o Navi)" not sure what the part number is with the navigation. Your local dealer can get you the part number for the navigation head unit cable. I stand corrected the cable does not plug into the back of the head unit, it plugs into the wiring harness that goes into the stereo and the plug with three missing wires out of the plug which the cable plugs into, but still works the same. The dealer said they would charge me $250.00 to install it, I told them to B**w me and installed it myself in a hour (cause it takes forever to get the dash apart to get to the wiring harness that it plugs into). If you do install yourself do yourself a favor and check the forum for how to on dash and stereo removal. It will make your life alot easier than trying to figure it out on your own like i did.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

Does the Ipod connector give you full control through your headunit? Also does it charge the Ipod/Iphone?
Old Jul 9, 2010, 07:54 AM
Evolving Member

Here is a reply from a PM I sent him....

The cord costs about $50.00
It plugs into the headphone jack of the iPod like the RCA's do.
No the radio does not control the iPod, you will still have to use the iPod controls on the iPod itself just like with the RCA's installed.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 02:51 PM
Account Disabled

MZ360136EX is currently $46.48 at mitsubishiparts.net

Install: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...mp3-cable.html

- Bryan

Last edited by GST Motorsports; Jul 9, 2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
MZ360136EX is currently $46.48 at mitsubishiparts.net

Install: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...mp3-cable.html

- Bryan
Thanks for that link! Taking the CD head unit out is exactly what I needed to gain access to the back of cubbie. From the rear of the RCA/AUX input, you need to squeeze the top and bottom of the unit, and then it can be pushed through the front of the cubbie. Remove the small wiring clip, then reattach the clip with the RCA/AUX behind the cubbie. I used electrical tape to secure the RCA/AUX unit to some other wiring harnesses below the CD deck so it is now out of sight.
Removing the Air Bag/Hazard unit is not necessary by the way. It was as easy (and scary) removing the carbon fiber and CD face as mentioned in the thread.

Mine doesn’t look pretty yet, as I have to figure out how to fabricate a custom piece of plastic to cover the gap where the AUX input use to be. I’ll post another pic when I clean up the gap. But for now, as seen in my pic, I can close my cubbie door with my iPod connected.
Attached Thumbnails 2010: AUX/RCA Cubby Mod-image.jpeg  

Quick Reply: 2010: AUX/RCA Cubby Mod