Notices

HOW TO: TPMS FIX with aftermarket / winter rims.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GAbOS
You didn't say you were either. Which is one to think first..

The point still stands. 40 miles?! I would have noticed before the first. If it's designed for idiots, than they would tend to ignore lights to begin with.
give or a take a few miles. perhaps it so long because it was pressurized. sensor didn't go off because there wasn't enough pressure. i've had that go off right away. soon as a tire dropped below 30psi it went off.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 02:46 PM

This is ridiculous on Mitsubishi's part. Two of my TPMS sensors have failed, (one already replaced, the 2nd one broke a month later)

This "Safety feature" is nothing but a nuisance! It was great until it started to fail on me, and then I have to spend $400 to replace and "program" the new one? ridiculous, I barely got them to fix the other one since they had replaced my tire...

This applies to 2008+ Lancers in general too, considering my ES is having the same nightmare..

How do fully built evo's and ralliarts (like strictly track-only) deal with this? Do they just simply put on TPMS sensors on all their tires.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Nickrick2641
This is ridiculous on Mitsubishi's part. Two of my TPMS sensors have failed, (one already replaced, the 2nd one broke a month later)

This "Safety feature" is nothing but a nuisance! It was great until it started to fail on me, and then I have to spend $400 to replace and "program" the new one? ridiculous, I barely got them to fix the other one since they had replaced my tire...

This applies to 2008+ Lancers in general too, considering my ES is having the same nightmare..

How do fully built evo's and ralliarts (like strictly track-only) deal with this? Do they just simply put on TPMS sensors on all their tires.

$400? aftermarket ones don't work? discounttire has a set of 4 for $200, programming is about $50.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:29 AM

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by volksjager
$400? aftermarket ones don't work? discounttire has a set of 4 for $200, programming is about $50.

Discount Tire Center!? If your referring to them I'll go to them first thing on Monday! They're 10 mins away from me!

But the question stands, they can program these into the car?
Old Jan 19, 2012, 06:16 AM

I had to replace my sensors as well and went through Discount Tire ... but they could not program the sensors. They tried to say they couldn't program them due to a fire wall on our computers. I call BS.

I was at the dealership last night and they said they would program the sensors for $60, but not all sensors can be programmed and it would be $60 regardless of it being successful or not! I passed ...
Old Jan 19, 2012, 08:34 AM

Jeez.. this "firewall" could be true, Mitsu hasn't really given out all the tools to reprogram those sensors.

I just have to figure out what sensor is bad, you think Discount Tire could find out which?
Old Jan 31, 2012, 08:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
That is a really awesome idea (in fact, I had the same idea :P ) i know someone who could use this trick
Old May 4, 2012, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

I have a second set of TPMS on my winter wheels -- just go to the dealer to get them reset twice a year. Yes, it's a racket, and we have Mitsubishi to thank for that, but short of spending $2000 on relatively high-end equipment, I don't know of any workarounds worth using.

I'm certainly not about to start building pipe-bomb pressure compartments, and I'm not about to turn off TPMS, which is a key feature of the car.
Old May 4, 2012, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by aestival
I'm certainly not about to start building pipe-bomb pressure compartments, and I'm not about to turn off TPMS, which is a key feature of the car.
1) Pipe bombs don't work (I have one in my trunk, did not work)
2) If we could turn off TPMS I'd be in line right now. The tire pressure gauge in my glove compartment works much better than a light that can go off without giving me an exact number.

But I get what you're saying.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

I never had a car that had them, now i know why, what a pita. I've always just checked my tire pressures myself.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
just clone the originals. then you can swap winter wheels and never have to deal with them again (until the batteries die after 6-7 yrs)
Old Nov 15, 2013, 05:21 PM

I had mine cloned a couple weeks ago, I paid $220 for a set of four and they took about 20 minutes scanning the stock tires TPMS. After installing them on to my winters and rotating on my GSR I drove around, and about 20km into the drive I had the TPMS warning pop up on my dash.

I called my guy and he said he'd call me back asap... he hasn't yet so I'm going to visit him in the coming the days to see what the dealio is. I'm thinking I should take my stock wheels along with me in case he needs to clone them again. I'll let you guys know when I know.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 12:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I cloned mine with N.G.S here on EvoM over a year ago, no problems so far.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

The only sensors that seem to work with the Evo X is the Alligator Sensit sensors. All others seem to have issues. Tire shops will promise you that they will work but they won't.
We have seen it happen again and again. It has something to do with the communication protocol between the aftermarket sensors and the OEM receiver.

If you need sensors that will work GUARANTEED for your Evo X or any other Mitsubishi shoot me a PM or check my TPMS for sale threads.

The Pipe Bomb trick used to work with older technology TPMS systems, the new ones are motion activated.

I ship to Canada in case you need them.

Last edited by N.G.S.; Nov 18, 2013 at 10:22 AM.