Notices

HOW TO: TPMS FIX with aftermarket / winter rims.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2010, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
pronounced: Jigga - Watts. get with your 80s movies man.

ill definitely be trying this one. tonight if all goes well...
I stand corrected but I get bonus points for seeing that movie when it first came out in theaters.

Thats why I got it wrong I am too old to remember
Old Jan 5, 2010, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

^LOL, I was 2 when that came out.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 06:29 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
great thanks man!
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:02 PM

but... this guy says it doesnt work
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...imate-faq.html

Originally Posted by Blacksheepdj
What if I put my sensors in a vaccuum tube and fill that tube to 32 psi and drive around with that in the car?
Nope. EvoM member Nosman tried it for 200km and 2hrs, and the light was still on. Best guess - they're tied into the ABS speed sensors or something...
soo.. does it work? can more ppl pls confirm @__@
Old Jan 6, 2010, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by three29
but... this guy says it doesnt work
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...imate-faq.html

soo.. does it work? can more ppl pls confirm @__@
Does not work for me.
Pressurized to 36psi and had it in the car for 900+ kms, three weeks or so...I get the "service required" message with the TPMS symbol. Originally thought it was because a leak but spray tested it and checked pressure after two weeks and didn't leak any air, it just does not work.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by majinfajita
Does not work for me.
Pressurized to 36psi and had it in the car for 900+ kms, three weeks or so...I get the "service required" message with the TPMS symbol. Originally thought it was because a leak but spray tested it and checked pressure after two weeks and didn't leak any air, it just does not work.
Is it using a sensor that has already been calibrated to your car?

-Taranis
Old Jan 7, 2010, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your canister is holding pressure and you're still getting the error, then I'm guessing we assumed incorrectly about the TPMS sensors.

Perhaps it measures the pressure DIFFERENCE between the atmosphere (0psi) and inside the tire (35psi)?

Also, I wonder where the receivers are located for the TPMS sensors. Maybe each sensor needs to be located closer to the wheel wells?
Old Jan 7, 2010, 11:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Taranis
Is it using a sensor that has already been calibrated to your car?

-Taranis
Yup they are the original sensors from my OEM wheels.
I got them removed since three of the sensors weren't sealing right after getting my tires changed (the tire shop didn't install the grommet under the nut correctly) so I just went to rubber valve stems. In fact right after I had them removed from the wheels, I got the "Service Required" instead of the "Tire Pressure Low" message.

So yes, in some way or another they interact differently than the other TPMS sensors that the pressurized canisters work for. If it helps, ours are the Siemens SE57770 sensors. The ones on the Lexus' and Toyotas are Pacifics.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 03:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
okay I have a question I just bought for new rims, I am going ot take the tpms sensors out of the factory rims and put them into the aftermarket rims, would this work with on low tire pressure light? And these are already in sync wit hteh car so is reprograming really needed?
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 08Lancer89
okay I have a question I just bought for new rims, I am going ot take the tpms sensors out of the factory rims and put them into the aftermarket rims, would this work with on low tire pressure light? And these are already in sync wit hteh car so is reprograming really needed?
it all depends, but you should be fine without reprogramming. the one thing i very strongly recommend is go to the dealer, or an online source if oemmitsuparts or whomever has is, and get 4 of part number: 4250B169.

it is a re-seal kit that is supposed to be used every time you remove or swap out tpms sensors so they dont leak-down constantly like majinfajita experienced. it basically comes with a new metal seal ring and rubber seal insert, new valve core, new tpms retaining nut, and new valve stem cap. i think they sell for about 10 bucks a piece, but to save the headache of losing air, its worth it, imo
Old Jan 20, 2010, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
alrighty thats my plan anyways Im gonna have my dealer mount and balance them
Old Jan 21, 2010, 07:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
it all depends, but you should be fine without reprogramming. the one thing i very strongly recommend is go to the dealer, or an online source if oemmitsuparts or whomever has is, and get 4 of part number: 4250B169.

it is a re-seal kit that is supposed to be used every time you remove or swap out tpms sensors so they dont leak-down constantly like majinfajita experienced. it basically comes with a new metal seal ring and rubber seal insert, new valve core, new tpms retaining nut, and new valve stem cap. i think they sell for about 10 bucks a piece, but to save the headache of losing air, its worth it, imo
+1

It was too bad Kal Tire is the only vendor in Western Canada for Nokian tires because they have some of the shoddiest service techs mounting and balancing tires otherwise I would have just gone to the reputable shop (Urban Expressions) I went to that removed the sensors for me.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 06:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by laflsyl10
Why wouldnt this work, i had my summer tires in my car today, the havent been on the car for 2 months, and the warning did not come on when they were in my back seat. They havent been rotated or spun in a while!
Did you check if this works? I have a feeling our sensors need to have the external part of the valve stem mounted outside the canister to read absolute atmospheric pressure and the internal part inside the canister to read the tire pressure.

Can anyone verify this before I tear out my sensors from my rims.

Many thanks,
NEWB
Old Apr 25, 2010, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TheNEWB
Did you check if this works? I have a feeling our sensors need to have the external part of the valve stem mounted outside the canister to read absolute atmospheric pressure and the internal part inside the canister to read the tire pressure.

Can anyone verify this before I tear out my sensors from my rims.

Many thanks,
NEWB
These sensor monitor the atmospheric difference. Need to have 4 valve stems coming out of the bomb while internal pressure is set at 33+psi.

NEWB
Old Apr 25, 2010, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TheNEWB
These sensor monitor the atmospheric difference. Need to have 4 valve stems coming out of the bomb while internal pressure is set at 33+psi.

NEWB

So did u try it and it worked?

Quick Reply: HOW TO: TPMS FIX with aftermarket / winter rims.