Notices

Bolt missing on turbo?? boost leak?

Old Jul 26, 2014, 02:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Bolt missing on turbo?? boost leak?

hi guys

iv spotted a bolt that seems to be missing off the turbo.... can someone explain what bolt this is and if it was ever on there?? pretty concerned :/

dont mind that rubber band there lol i was trying something.

the main reason im asking is because iv got some sort of boost leak.. first gear usually pulls fine to about 18-20 psi then second gear tapers off at around 4000rpm only going up to like 10psi.. would this be the cause of the leak??

i have checked all my hoses and everything seems fine. the only other reason i can think of is a wastegate problem?

any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by sdx91; Jul 27, 2014 at 02:44 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 02:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine is missing as well. However I don't think there was ever one to begin with . Fairly certain its always been that way. Can't even find a part number for that online.

If you have a boost leak I don't think its that bolt. You may have something else going on. Might be helpful if you stop crushing your boost vaccuum tube with a rubber band lmao. That will mess up your engine for sure .
Old Jul 28, 2014, 02:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How old is your car and what power modifications have been done? This will be helpful in trying to find out what's going on. Let us know
Old Jul 28, 2014, 03:19 AM

yeh just realised the bolt is on the other end LOL my mods are now in my sig.

changed everything back to stock and dropping it off at the dealer tmr.. lets see what they say..

it pretty much only gets boost just after the car has been started like 1st and 2nd gear boost is fine 18psi (on stock) then from the drive onwards max boost is like 10psi tapering down to 5 and sometimes even no boost.

if the dealers dont know whats going on im gona get a boost leak test done and see whats going on.

my money right now is on either faulty wastegate or cracked pipe somewhere which cant be seen.

theres no smoke coming out of the exhaust either so i hope the turbo is still fine.

any ideas??
Old Jul 28, 2014, 05:37 AM
Evolving Member

Do you have a custom tune or GST basemap for a boostpill? If not, that's a problem.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 03:40 AM

UPDATE.

fixed the boost leak thank god. took so long to find out what it was.

the ams boost pill was faulty. i dont know how. maybe it had a small hairline crack inside but the outside looks fine?? car was tuned properly with the gst basemap boost pill tune and still leaked so it was obviously the boost pill.

changed it back to stock pill and retuned and there was no leak. i seriously dont understand how a boost pill would cause a leak.. i would have never looked there.

im a bit scared of buying another ams boost pill now sigh do gst still produce boost pills? if so where can i get one?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 05:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
It can't leak. It is just a restrictor inside the line. Did someone put the rubber band on to fix a leak, perhaps?

The hose you installed it on can leak and changing the clamps - re-installing it may have fixed it. Replace the hose and re-test with boost pill.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 04:38 AM

hmm perhaps.. but then why would the stock pill work fine if they are the same size (thickness)? :/
Old Jul 31, 2014, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by sdx91
UPDATE.

fixed the boost leak thank god. took so long to find out what it was.

the ams boost pill was faulty. i dont know how. maybe it had a small hairline crack inside but the outside looks fine?? car was tuned properly with the gst basemap boost pill tune and still leaked so it was obviously the boost pill.

changed it back to stock pill and retuned and there was no leak. i seriously dont understand how a boost pill would cause a leak.. i would have never looked there.

im a bit scared of buying another ams boost pill now sigh do gst still produce boost pills? if so where can i get one?
It won't be the pill itself. It has nowhere to "leak" to. In fact, controlling the speed of air "leakage" is the pill's job!

It's likely to be a leak caused by the increased pressure from tuning, which happens to require the boost pill.

My suggestion is to buy a 3-port boost controller. Replace the stock 2-port, replace all the old hoses to and from it, replace all the clamps at the hose ends, and see if that does the trick. It will remove a bunch of old dross from the equation, give you something to do for a weekend or two (always nice ) and tighten up your boost control in general.

If it still occurs after that, your list of suspects just got a lot smaller.

Rich

[edit]I'm now allowed to say stuff like "get a 3-port", because I finally got off my lazy butt and did that myself. Grimmspeed 3-port - easy to fit, easy to retune, sorted. I'm still lazy - but now I'm lazy with tighter boost control!

Last edited by richardjh; Jul 31, 2014 at 06:38 PM.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 04:35 AM

replaced all hoses and hose clamps. still happening with the boost pill + gst basemap boost pill tune. stock pill + stockpill tune works fine. so its obviously something to do either with the boost pill or the tune.. and im guessing it cant be the tune.. :/

perhaps wastegate issues suddenly appeared??
Old Aug 5, 2014, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

wow.
-puzzled

Is the hole in the boost pill clogged? I am grasping for answers here...
Old Aug 6, 2014, 06:17 AM

not clogged. a little damaged around the hole? could this be causing such a big problem?

need to know 100% if this is the problem and yes i may have went a little crazy getting it in and out several times with a screwdriver..

EDIT: does the clamp have to be on top of the boost pill or does the pill have to be inbetween both clamps? maybe its shifting around inside under boost?

Last edited by sdx91; Aug 6, 2014 at 06:22 AM.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

The clamp should be over the pill.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:00 PM

hmm nope still losing boost somewhere.

i have noticed that with stock pill and no tune im spiking at 20psi still?? does this seem strange? shouldnt it be 18psi? :/

here are pics of my setup.. spot anything wrong?? should i try moving the location of the pill?

EDIT: just took out my k&n drop in and waved it around and put it back in and i got my boost back LOL funny thing is i think it was put in the other way around.. maybe over time it slowly got out of place and then the maf sensor started getting weird airflow etc etc.. anyway ill retest with the boost pill and tune and see if all is good!

Last edited by sdx91; Aug 7, 2014 at 01:51 AM.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Whoa! Then thoroughly clean the filter!!

Otherwise you are sucking the dirt collected from the filter into the engine...

So, you changed the pill and boost changed...
You reversed the air filter and boost changed...

Something else is the culprit. I (somehow) suspect the tune... although the GST Basemap is proven good... [puzzled]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bolt missing on turbo?? boost leak?