Notices

Burning smells from engine bay?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2009, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burning smells from engine bay?

Hi guys. Well, I got my AWC reflash done 2 weeks ago at my local dealer. Car was running awesome before that. Anyways, the next day on my way home from work, I noticed a really strong burning rubber smell like I just did a massive brake stand, I thought it might be the car in front so I thought nothing of it. Next day same thing and next day so on. So I called my dealer and they said it was probably just leaves or something got into my engine bay and was heating up from the engine. Kept happening so I drove to my dealer(1 hr away) they were running behind(as usual) and only had enough time to take it for a quick drive. They said nothing was wrong and it was probably just debris in the engine bay. My engine bay is spotless and I couldn't find anything in there. So in the last week I've noticed another burning smell like burning plastic but this one isn't as over powering as the other one. Also randomly now when I coast to a stop sign or something my car will feel like I slammed on my brakes, then stomp on the gas then slam the brakes again, all this while my foot is on neither pedal. I don't know whether this has anything to do with them doing something wrong with the AWC flash or what. My car has 6,000km on it and completely stock other then HKS drop-in. Also I drive in normal/auto mode 90% of the time. I would take it to the dealer again but I can only go on Saturdays but they are booked for the next few Sats. Thanks fo any help
Old Nov 11, 2009, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Hmmm, I had the same thing in my X after the reflash also. Lasted about a week, and I no longer smell it. Of course I had the cracked fuel pipe recall also done and just figured it had something to do with that.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 06:29 AM
Evolving Member

I seriously thought they spilled fuel in my engine bay from the fuel return pipe recall! Glad (I guess?) I'm not the only one who notices this...
Old Nov 14, 2009, 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had the same experience after the AWC reflash, thought it was just my tires. I too have the HKS drop-in but I doubt that was it because I had the HKS drop-in for a week at least before the reflash. I haven't smelled anything like that lately, and I have 9,500 miles on the car. Will report back if I find out anything to correct it if it turns out to be a problem or just share more details if I come across it again.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 09:10 AM
Evolving Member

To me it sounds like that reflash isn't working right.

You're probably dragging 1 or more of your tires around due to a diff. not locking or locking up when it shouldn't be. It probably goes away after a while because your diff's frictions discs are completely burnt up.

I guess I wont be getting this reflash!
Old Nov 17, 2009, 03:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RotorGlow
To me it sounds like that reflash isn't working right.

You're probably dragging 1 or more of your tires around due to a diff. not locking or locking up when it shouldn't be. It probably goes away after a while because your diff's frictions discs are completely burnt up.

I guess I wont be getting this reflash!
If that is true then a few more folks will be experiencing this. We need people to chime in. I'm going to have Mitsu check it out, don't know when I can do it though. I hope it's nothing severe.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 08:11 PM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ok I gotta chime in here... I got my AWC reflash about 4 weeks ago (I think).

Never noticed anything till 2 weeks ago. I usually drive upstate on weekends and at the end of the 140 mile trip, the car's usually fine but 2 weeks ago and last weekend also, at the end of the trip, both my gf and i smelled what smelled like burning leaves. I opened the hood and checked under the car and everything was clean. Same smell last weekend cept it was lighter in scent.

You'd think if the diff was all messed up, the car would've warned us.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This makes me not wanna get the reflash. To many questions might go unanswered.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 06:10 AM

I had the burning smell this past weekend as well. It's been a month since I got the AWC reflash.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What type of reflash are you all getting and done from where so other people dont get the same problem
Old Nov 29, 2009, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Update

I went into my dealer yesterday to get them to take a better look at it. They still had no idea what was wrong with it after looking at it for just over an hour. The tech was looking in the engine bay with me and just mentioned, "so they did the fuel pipe recall when they flashed it." I said no, it wasn't on my invoice from when the flash was done and my car didn't need it cause it was manufactured a few months after the affected date. He said I'm positive it was done cause I remember doing it. He said he remembered my gunmetal stockers. So they went into the computer and found that they did the fuel pipe recall even though I didn't need it. They said that u may get a burning smell from some spilled fuel or something like that. I haven't had that burning smell in the a week or so, so I guess it was from the fuel pipe. Would have been great if they let me know when they change something on my car.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 11:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Spilled fuel will evaporate very quickly. You will not get a "burning smell" from fuel.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 11:39 AM
Account Disabled

i havent noticed a thing after my recall, car drives the same, and no smells.

Just wanted to give my 2 cents so not everyone worries.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

I'm having the same problem right now. I don't have a RA. My VIII on my way to FL had the number 2 fuel injector stick wide open and flooded the cylinder. Had it brought to Mitsu and the stockers were put back in and no problem. Drove it for a good 200+ miles real easy and after the first time I got on it I got that burning smell. I now get it on startup and shutdown real bad. Very faint if I stop at a light. Maybe this will help someone diagnose this better. Subscribing cause I need this fixed. Its more embarrassing than anything else.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 05:32 PM

when i bought my RA in sep.08 had that burning smell for a few weeks only, about month ago i took it to the dealer for that fuel line replacement, i dont know if they did that reflash, they didnt tell me nothing about it and is not mention on the invoice

Quick Reply: Burning smells from engine bay?