Notices

Nitto NT05

Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah, it's a weird balance between constantly "stabilizing" the car and "helping" you drift the car. Everything I've read seems to indicate it's best suited for tracks and not racing cones...
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:05 PM
Evolving Member

I've had NT-05's on my RA for about a year now and I can't really fault them. I haven't done any Autocross (and don't plan to) but have pushed them pretty damn hard on some long winding roads. They performed great.

They're also the tyre of choice that comes stock on Ryan Gates 311RS project so I guess there is something to consider in that too.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
I think Ryan is sponsored by Nitto, right?
Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:06 AM
Evolving Member

^I think so, yes. Here is his initial impressions of them back in 2008.

And here is another Evo related impression of them under track conditions.

And not Evo centric, but a comparison with Star Specs here.

Take these for what they're worth. Personally, I think they are a great tyre for people in warm to moderate climates that like spirited driving or track days. I never push my car on the streets and in the rain so I don't notice the wet performance (or lack thereof) too much at all.

At the end of the day, they're all just tyres so if you think they suit your driving habits, just give them a go.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nunyas
yeah, it's a weird balance between constantly "stabilizing" the car and "helping" you drift the car. Everything I've read seems to indicate it's best suited for tracks and not racing cones...
The X is definately more a track car then a cones car. Hell, even the RA is more a track car then a cones car (we weight too much to be a good cone car). Not that it can't be used for running cones mind you, but they both are just more at home on the track. In anycase, almost all the indexed X autocrossers around here run the old 8 or 9 diff to get rid of the AYC. I personally kinda like it myself...but I love me my techno wizardry that save me from my own stupidity...because if I dont have it, fate has to step in and you know what they say about her....
Old Apr 28, 2012, 01:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Griffin5
At the end of the day, they're all just tyres so if you think they suit your driving habits, just give them a go.
Well...the thing is that people tend to use tires for 3-5 years. That means you cycle through 3 sets tops in a 10 year ownership (not counting OEM tires) and some may only change it once. That is a big chunk of time to be stuck with something that does so much to your car's handling and not be happy with it. I know it sounds foreign to me as well as I have to change my tires every year (if there is any tread left, the heat cycling will have made sure it's dead regardless)...but that is how some people view tires.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ColdNapalm
Well...the thing is that people tend to use tires for 3-5 years. That means you cycle through 3 sets tops in a 10 year ownership (not counting OEM tires) and some may only change it once. That is a big chunk of time to be stuck with something that does so much to your car's handling and not be happy with it. I know it sounds foreign to me as well as I have to change my tires every year (if there is any tread left, the heat cycling will have made sure it's dead regardless)...but that is how some people view tires.
Fair point. I guess if you're in the category of those who expect 3-5 years out of your tyres then you aren't really the kind that will be doing track days or long stints of spirited driving. So you won't be getting the most out of a tyre like this. As I said, if the tyre suits your driving style and habbits then they are definitely worth considering. If not, no worries Something like the Hankook V12's might suit others and I'm sure they'd be very happy with them. I know this doesn't relate directly to you ColdNapalm, I'm just generalising for those in the category you've mentioned.

I try not to get too hung up on tyres. I might try some Star Specs next set just to make my own comparison against the NT-05s which I've been rather happy with so far.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Griffin5
Fair point. I guess if you're in the category of those who expect 3-5 years out of your tyres then you aren't really the kind that will be doing track days or long stints of spirited driving. So you won't be getting the most out of a tyre like this. As I said, if the tyre suits your driving style and habbits then they are definitely worth considering. If not, no worries Something like the Hankook V12's might suit others and I'm sure they'd be very happy with them. I know this doesn't relate directly to you ColdNapalm, I'm just generalising for those in the category you've mentioned.

I try not to get too hung up on tyres. I might try some Star Specs next set just to make my own comparison against the NT-05s which I've been rather happy with so far.
I kinda like the v12s for DD...but I had some chunking issues with them after around 4 autocross events. They seem to not handle the heavy termal cycles of autocross very well. Since I need a set of tires to do daily driving, autocross and track, I am constantly looking for that perfect blend tire...and considering I have accelerated my tire usage from lasting 1 year to 8 months it seems, I will have a lot of chances to do so :P . I can't affors to have two sets of tires since paying 800-1500 bucks every 8-12 months is bad enough...2+ grand is out of the question (my track tires will be dead every year from termal cycles and I kill my treads in about a year as well...what can I say, we have some nice back roads).