Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Why a Ralliart?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2014, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why a Ralliart?

Just wondering why a lot of Ralliart owners chose to with it versus the Evo? Was it price, difficulty finding one, or just really liked the RA?
Old Jul 10, 2014, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

Price and daily use, although I never originally intended on doing much modding on my RA it did happen.

Still don't regret anything though. Modding a Ralliart requires some extra thought sometimes adapting the EVO parts to fit on the RA. I learnt a lot because of it.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 05:21 PM

Ok I understand price but daily use? Besides the the trunk on the Evo being small what other difference do you see for daily use?
Old Jul 10, 2014, 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

You can fold down the rear seats on the RA to make a lot of boot space. That's been very handy.

Turning circle and fuel economy are better in the RA.

Insurance is probably cheaper too due to the overall value being less.

It's much easier to mod an EVO for actual racing though.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 05:35 PM

Isn't know the rear seats folded down that would be nice to have. I do have to admit the Turning radius and fuel economy suck but the Evo's performance makes up for it IMO.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 11:01 PM

Not everyone needs the pure performance that the EVO gives. I chose the RA because it gives the performance when I want it while balancing fuel economy and insurance. The cost of the RA new in Canada is also 7k to 10k lower than the EVO GSR or MR even with the tech package. I see the RA as a daily driver that is more than capable of some extended spirited driving whereas the EVO is a race car adapted for the streets.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 11:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ApolloX
Just wondering why a lot of Ralliart owners chose to with it versus the Evo? Was it price, difficulty finding one, or just really liked the RA?
Hatchback, pretty much.

If there was an Evolution X Fastback model, I'd more than likely be in it.

Rich
Old Jul 11, 2014, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Athrun88
Not everyone needs the pure performance that the EVO gives. I chose the RA because it gives the performance when I want it while balancing fuel economy and insurance. The cost of the RA new in Canada is also 7k to 10k lower than the EVO GSR or MR even with the tech package. I see the RA as a daily driver that is more than capable of some extended spirited driving whereas the EVO is a race car adapted for the streets.
Pretty much this for me too since i'm in Canada. Insurance, practicality, fuel, price
Old Jul 11, 2014, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Because Sportback!
Old Jul 11, 2014, 12:36 PM

In Canada as well it came down to price and insurance especially with my age(was 22 when I got it) and overall needed the automatic of the sst for the wife to drive occasionally and the less harsh ride for the two young kids, can barely fit a stroller in the RA trunk don't no how I could in the evo
Old Jul 14, 2014, 03:57 AM

For me, it was a bunch of things. The Evo was out of my price range, insurance would have been too, and really I'm too lazy to drive a manual every day.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 05:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like a lot of ppl the price range of the EVO is too high and that was the main reason. I get on the peddle sometimes but not 40k worth of it! Plus for me at least I got a discount on the RA plus trade in, so I made off decently.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I owned one before and the only reason that I discarded the EVO it was for the lack of trunk space. That is the only reason.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 10:23 PM
Evolving Member

Ralliart has a more comfortable suspension for daily use, much bigger trunk with fold down seats and you don't have to put your washer fluid in the trunk (very retarded design on the Evo), you can get it with regular front seats which are better for long trips, and obviously the more usable turning circle. The transmission is way better than the GSR's 5-speed. Also rpms are reasonable at highway speeds. Basically a GSR is a bad car for long highway trips, a fairly uncomfortable and impractical daily driver, and a wonderful track car. The Ralliart is very good for cruising on the highway, very good for daily driving and is reasonably practical, and is a set of decent brakes and coilovers away from being a pretty good track car.

In any case, right now I would rather go to a Subaru dealership and pick up a new STI though. Has all the practicality of a Ralliart plus performance that almost matches the hardcore nature of the Evo X.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 05:55 AM

RA choice

The EVO is certainly one heck of a vehicle, but it wasn't the fit for me. When I looked at the 2 side-by-side, I knew I needed the RA. A spare tire, readily available parts and the battery up front. No bashing here...But when I look at cars inevitably my first thoughts are "how is this vehicle to work on", and "how is the parts availability" i.e. does the local shop carry brake pads, rotors etc. Just my .02!

Quick Reply: Why a Ralliart?