Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Car going into limp Mode on a Cold Day

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2013, 06:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car going into limp Mode on a Cold Day

What would cause my car to go into limp mode only on a cold day? its 24 Degrees out and car has gone into limp mode 2 days in a row????

Any help would be great thanks
Old Dec 12, 2013, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Depends. Are we talking about tranny or engine?

My tranny gets funny in the cold. I let it warm up while i am still in the driveway (in gear) which seems to help. A key off/restart seesm to clear the limp mode and it works fine after that...

On cold days I have also been getting a 'too lean' code on the second O2 sensor (probably due to my mods, though )

My suggestion? Spend the $$ to get a code reader. I use it UH Lot on all my vehicles
Old Dec 12, 2013, 07:17 AM

I dont know if its the trans or the engine how can i tell? I have some mods also and i cleared the codes last night and there were a few codes, Cyl 1 misfire, o2, and something to do with fuel. I let my car warm up for about 5mins tried to pull up closer to the door and it went into limp mode not only once but 2-3 times. shut the key off for about 30 seconds and started it back up. It was idling at 2k (usally idles at 900) then i drove about 6 miles and shut it off at a stop sign after the six miles and started it back up and idle was back to 900 and it drove fine???????
Old Dec 12, 2013, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Ok, so not tranny...

Stock fuel pressure regualtor relay?

If so - try that swap first.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 12:45 PM
Evolving Member

1st stop clearing codes. freeze frame data and dtcs are the first place to start when you're having problems.

Also if you get a code reader get one that displays live data. You'll also need a multimeter.

If you want to pull codes from the TCM you need a better than generic scan tool.

I've never had the fuel relay problem, but if you suspect that it's bad measure voltage at the fuel pump, KOEO and KOER. if you don't see battery voltage swap the relay.

Last edited by stfuad; Dec 12, 2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by stfuad
1st stop clearing codes. freeze frame data and dtcs are the first place to start when you're having problems.

Also if you get a code reader get one that displays live data. You'll also need a multimeter.

If you want to pull codes from the TCM you need a better than generic scan tool.

I've never had the fuel relay problem, but if you suspect that it's bad measure voltage at the fuel pump, KOEO and KOER. if you don't see battery voltage swap the relay.
I was looking into getting a Scan Tool Bluetooth scanner that sends everything to my phone and data logs it. Would that be a good one to get? Also I am just doing what the people that make my turbo and fuel/timing management computer are telling me to do. it only happens when its in the 20s i don't get it.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'm using torque with my ralliart for check engine lights... so far i like it tells me what i need to know

if your getting a misfire code you've probably got a bad coil or spark plug...

pull it and have a look at it

easy way to test the coil is to move it to another cylinder, and see if the misfire code follows it then replace if it does... if it doesn't check your spark plug