Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

What type of oil do you guys use?

Old Dec 4, 2011, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Without oil analyses, there's no way to know which oil is the best.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The number before the w stands for the viscosity in freezing temperatures so it should matter for you guys in canada more. The number after the w stands for the viscosity in normal temp. So the first number doesnt matter in every season other then winter.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

It matters for startup regardless of season but the difference between 0 weight and 5 weight is pretty small.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 05:28 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
get some good AMSOIL and call it a day.

many data through field testing and oil analysis to prove AMSOIL is a good syn.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by apagan01
get some good AMSOIL and call it a day.

many data through field testing and oil analysis to prove AMSOIL is a good syn.
And you're not BIASED or anything I'm sure.....
Old Dec 5, 2011, 04:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
AMSOIL is very good oil, but not necessary for everyone when it comes to a cost:value perspective. I think this is the point that Amby is trying to get across here. Not just in regards to AMSOIL, mind you, just some of the higher-end, more expensive oils generally associated with race-applications.

Most enthusiasts will lightly modify their car and rarely, if ever, push it to its actual limits, and the added cost of some high-end oil is wasted in the fact that the oil ends up being replaced before ever coming close to its potential use capabilities.

It sounds like, from the OP, that the question was leaning more toward oil weight, rather than brand, however. In that case, unless the car is heavily modified or VERY AGGRESSIVELY driven VERY OFTEN, you'll be just fine with the factory recommended 5w30 or 0w30. Those other weights the dealer was talking about were for non-turbo lancers (5w20 for pre-2011 models, 0w20 for 2011+ models)
Old Dec 5, 2011, 04:08 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Slee256
And you're not BIASED or anything I'm sure.....
No i am not

on a seriouse note, man i tell you i am consumer just like you are and i dislike when people showcase a product that is not all that,, but after years and years of dealing with oil AMSOIL just really has this technology down path, shown through extensive testing "oil analysis" street and track testing and labs testing to comply with oil stasndards
Old Dec 5, 2011, 04:15 PM

Royal Purple since 2005
Old Dec 5, 2011, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
It matters for startup regardless of season but the difference between 0 weight and 5 weight is pretty small.
The only way it doesnt matter what season it is is if you live in a place that never goes above 0 degrees.

The SAE classifications characterises the viscosity at low and high temperature of the lubricant. The grade is given by two numbers separated by the letter W (meaning winter).

This is taken from sae.

A major change was made in 1952 when the original set of grade designations was augmented with the addition of a set of
winter (“W”) grade designations (10W, 15W, 20W, 25W, 30W) which were specified by viscosity measured at 0° F. This
change was instituted to address problems with cold weather oil performance.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the lesson on reading oil rating, I never learned that in the near decade I've been modifying and racing cars. The rating matters as, logically, a 0w oil will be thinner at startup than a 5w or 20w oil at startup. In some cases, it's preferred to have a less viscous oil vs. a more viscous oil but it depends entirely on your particular engine and situation. If the startup weight didn't matter, as you seem to be suggesting, there would only be one weight as it wouldn't be worth manufacturing several different kinds.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 07:30 PM

Valvoline 25-50
Old Dec 6, 2011, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by cursedsm
I use exclusively Brad Penn, 10w40. Best and only oil in my opinion you should use for a turbo car.
Based on my experience and research, you do know that Brad Penn oil contain a lot of zinc? Unless your driving consist of track racing on a daily basic, the extra zinc can be harmful to your cat. I should know, I went through 2 cat until I realize it was the oil. TBH, I should have known it was the oil but some reason I just thought it was my luck.

Not saying you will or won't experience just thought I throw that out there.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 09:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by khami
Based on my experience and research, you do know that Brad Penn oil contain a lot of zinc? Unless your driving consist of track racing on a daily basic, the extra zinc can be harmful to your cat. I should know, I went through 2 cat until I realize it was the oil. TBH, I should have known it was the oil but some reason I just thought it was my luck.

Not saying you will or won't experience just thought I throw that out there.
What cat? I live in Michigan I have no emmissions here. Yes I know it contain both high contents of zinc and phosperious. What you forget is zinc is also good for bearings. It acts like a pertective covering for bearings and helps keep unwanted heat off them. So no I do not race my car every day, I do not run it hard everyday, I drive it daily with normal driving conditions and never have a problem.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Thanks for the lesson on reading oil rating, I never learned that in the near decade I've been modifying and racing cars. The rating matters as, logically, a 0w oil will be thinner at startup than a 5w or 20w oil at startup. In some cases, it's preferred to have a less viscous oil vs. a more viscous oil but it depends entirely on your particular engine and situation. If the startup weight didn't matter, as you seem to be suggesting, there would only be one weight as it wouldn't be worth manufacturing several different kinds.
IT IS FOR WINTER START UP PLAIN AND SIMPLE. I never said it did matter, I just correctly explained what the first number and w ment. W meaning winter start up not any start up after the oil has reached operating temp it goes to the next weight in the winter no all year long. Thats what Im trying to state here.

Last edited by RalliMark; Dec 6, 2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RalliMark
IT IS FOR WINTER START UP PLAIN AND SIMPLE. I never said it did matter, I just correctly explained what the first number and w ment. W meaning winter start up not any start up after the oil has reached operating temp it goes to the next weight in the winter no all year long. Thats what Im trying to state here.
Viscosity is viscosity. The difference between 0 degrees and, lets say, 5 degrees is marginal. It's not there is some magic trickery where the two different weights will have the same consistency until they hit the magic 0 degrees number used for the classification. For some applications, people want to use a 0 weight over a 5 weight. Under some, they may want a 10 weight. It is not a number that only matters to people who live in winter climates.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What type of oil do you guys use?