Notices

lower arm braces (h brace)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2008, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lower arm braces (h brace)

so i have seen a few pictures of these around the forum, but no one really talks about them. supposably the evo one will fit the RA but only if you dont have the rrm headers and downpipe, correct me if im wrong. i wanted to do everything to the suspension before i really started getting heavy into the engine, but i didnt know how well they helped performance. so from the people who have one, are they worth it?
Old Jul 6, 2008, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what I hear even the cheap ebay one works pretty well, I mean its not a hard thing to screw up designing of course besides lining up the mounting points.

I personally don't have either of the braces availible for our car, but I know the ebay h-brace breaks off easily if you only bolt down one side and pulled down. But that's expected as it needs all 4 mounting points for it to be strong and I doubt your car will ever flex enough regularly to snap them when mounted/torqued down properly.

Just wondering but how do you like the megan coilovers, I was going to get a set this season but opted for a motorcycle instead so looks like next year when my suspension is shot I'ma look into it.

PS: You might want to look into motor mounts, stiffer bushings and short shifter if you want to quicken up for track/autocross. Plus I hear the shifting with that combo feels crisp. (I know you want suspension but i just love my short shifter.. haha)
Old Jul 6, 2008, 07:24 PM

oh i love the megan coilovers, they are very stiff and have improved my driving so much. i drove my moms subaru legacy and i felt like i was gonna roll the damn thing. but yes short shifter and bushings are soon to come.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

I have the H brace , its the same one as the standar ES 2004+ , it looks awesome from below when the car is on hydraulic jacks. It DOES work.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 03:50 PM

ok thats all i needed to know
Old Jul 8, 2008, 04:26 PM

How did this improve your handling on your car??
Old Jul 11, 2008, 03:03 PM

i have the ebay hbrace....its pretty badA$$. when i was doing my suspension upgrades the first thing i put on was the lower h brace, and i noticed the difference right away. its well worth the money. there is one thing tho if u have seen the RRm rear lower tie bar, and u look at were it bolts in the car u will notice that there are outcroppings of metal to protect where it bolts into your car. those same outcroppings are on the hbrace (where the bolts go in). on the passenger side, the outcropping has to be shaven down a little bit in order for your oil filter to fit back in (u have to take off your oil filter to instal the h brace). its not very much, it only took about 30 seconds to shave off the little bit of metal keeping it from going in. i used a handheld plug in grinder. bolt in all sides loose at first, then tighten them down in a star pattern kind of like when u put ure wheels on ure car, opposite diagnals. once u get it bolted in, use the grinder to shave down the metal, i gave myself about a half an inch worth of clearance between the outcropping and the oil filter. hope this helps!
Old Jul 11, 2008, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

This is the Hbrace installed.

Old Jul 13, 2008, 12:27 PM

WHat was the difference u experienced right after putting it on??
Old Jul 13, 2008, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by RAlli//ART305
WHat was the difference u experienced right after putting it on??
it helps lock down the front half of the vehicle. its like a lower tie bar but it connects in four places. its only 40 bucks plus shipping so its no more than 60 bucks total. its way worth it. just buy it and see man, u cant go wrong. u can see what i was talking about in the dude above me's pic when i said u had to shave part of it down. its good tho man, the stock front strut bar and the lower h brace together make a huge difference.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 09:43 PM
Evolving Member

are all the lower H Braces on Ebay for the lancer the same?
Old Aug 2, 2008, 08:08 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes. Lancers, Ralliarts, and Evos all use the same H braces.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by migueralliart

Looks good, j/w but is that newspaper hanging off the side of your car?
Old Aug 2, 2008, 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks

Originally Posted by bruce988jl
Looks good, j/w but is that newspaper hanging off the side of your car?
I think he's getting it painted?
Old Aug 2, 2008, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by migueralliart

were the bolts hard to remove to install this brace? last thing i waana get into if i install one of these is having to replace a control arm or something because i tore the bushing out of it or something....also, why did you have to shave that part down? what did it interfere with?

Greg

Quick Reply: lower arm braces (h brace)