Notices

SPDI Plasma Discharge Ignition

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
SPDI Plasma Discharge Ignition

OttRalliart (Brent) has mentioned using this technology. I've just been reading about it on their website (a Canadian company, eh?). Before I pony up the money for a kit, I was wondering if drivers who are using it could give us some thoughts - did you notice better mileage, a bit more horsepower, quicker starting... ?
Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dunno... sounds like hokum to me... 1500 bucks for a kits that only claims to yield 4-9% better efficiency? not worth it IMO...
Old Feb 14, 2012, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

from what i've read about it it varies from 5-50% gains. idk about you but i consider my fuel economy to be pretty low for the power and displacement to weight. i wouldn't be surprised if ours is a little higher gain than 5%.

that being said I have heard great things about efficiency of the kit itself, separate from fuel efficiency, like more even combustion and such. If i had the cash handy I would definitely try it out. But its going to be a few months before I can spare that much.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
sounds like an interesting way to increase the fuel economy of the car. however i would worry that the plasma system may mess with the basetune and could possibly need to retune other stuff such as piggybacks and reflashes.

but then again i dont know too much when it comes to this stuff so maybe it wouldn't screw up tunes i dont know
Old Feb 14, 2012, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
with a more rapid and complete combustion you could advance timing like crazy, while using less fuel...so the potential for power increase as well as fuel economy is there...
Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:44 PM
Evolving Member

i dunno, i looked em up and watched all thier youtube vids i could find (which amounted to 2 and one was the instructional video contest promo)

The high cost seems to be making it prohibitive for people to get on board. The founder might be better off getting some financial backing from a major aftermarket ignition company like Mallory or Accell or something, just to get the introductory costs down and gain a following. We need it proven on more than just the porche race car in the video to get people to part with $1500 (to start, and theres more to buy optionally)

I will admit I am curious.. So who's going first? lol
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:41 AM

I'll do it. And by that I mean I'll front like 500 to 750 and everyone else can pitch in. If I see an improvement then Ill gladly help out the other people that fronted some money as well lol. So what does everyone think? hahaha

Aron
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I look forward to testing this in my Evolution X for Brent and SPDI. After doing some research, the system definitely looks promising. I know my power level now, and I cannot wait to see what it will turn out to be after the Plasma Ignition System. I will keep the forums updated with progress.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

I heard some promising statistics...can't wait to see it on paper, or a graph
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:09 AM
Former Sponsor

I anticipate that this system will help with gas mileage, significantly. With the 5-speed, I burn quite a bit of gas at cruising speed (certainly much more than I would like). If I see a 5% improvement in overall gas mileage, I will be satisfied. This technology holds promise for the future. I have no doubt that some benefit will be realized. Brent and I are both confident in this new technology.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

I'm still a sceptic.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

some automakers have already adopted similar technologies...
Old Feb 25, 2012, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

When I see someone try it out and prove that it works with gains or advantages, then i'll start to believe. But with like soo many other ignition company claims, i've seen nothing but crap...So this begs the next question, WHO will be the EvoM guinea pig?? lol
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by roblaza
When I see someone try it out and prove that it works with gains or advantages, then i'll start to believe. But with like soo many other ignition company claims, i've seen nothing but crap...So this begs the next question, WHO will be the EvoM guinea pig?? lol
I will be the guinea pig (as I clearly stated, before). The system has already garnered results. It is unlike any other ignition system in that is uses a plasma "spark" in order to facilitate combustion.

With that being said, this system is already being used on a Porsche racing car, a DD Audi, and now an Evolution IX. Every single vehicle has benefited from this system in a big way. I realize that that is in no way a large test bed, but I hope to add to the positive reviews that are already circulating on the internet about SPDI and this particular setup.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by roblaza
I'm still a sceptic.
And you should be....

Anything I tell you will be self serving but those who know me will tell you I will not give you a load of BS just to make a buck. My Audi is down 4L/100 and the power is defiantly better. As for tuning we dont know yet...many theories but nothing proven and that is what we are doing right now.

The best advise I can give you for research is this.... other "plasma" or CID systems are NOT the same as this system not even close. To my knowledge no other ignition system is programmable meaning you can "shape" the spark to your tune or tune the spark around your tune....sorry a bit confusing.

The SPDI Spark profile (on an oscilloscope) is very different than anything out there. The 3 main sparks are inductive, cdi and now this plasma. I am aware that longer duration and multiple spark systems have been out there for years but find me one system that allow you program (customize) 5 perimeters of the park profile? again if you see on the oscilloscope the SPDI Spark has:

1. The breakdown current milli apms creates the heat to start the burn process
2. Ignition duration how long the ignition, or flame kernel stays open
3. Plasma support energy to complete the mixture to burn (burn off any left over fuel)
4. Ignition power how much energy in mj the kernel has
5 Spark duration overall "length" of the entire spark
All of the above are programmable.
Again there is nothing like this on the market. A longer or more powerful spark is not necessarily a good thing. In some of my earlier tests that I had the system at full power the car lost power. With this system it will allow you to deliver the right amount of spark energy at the right time and the results have been very good.

Here are the numbers from my Audi:

40kms/h (24mph) no fuel mileage data
60kms/h (28mph) 6.2L/100km (38mpg)
80kms/h (50mph) 7.6L/100km (31mpg)
100kms/h(62mph) 7.3L/100km (32mpg)
120kms/h(74mph) 8.2L/100km (28mpg)
* I expect these numbers will get better and the weather gets warmer*

Test 2008 Lancer GTS CVT trans:

"ALRIGHT!!!! SO Time to update this baby...Met up with Brent today after work and he tweaked around with the SPDI spark and then we went around for a spin. Pretty significant difference from where I was before...With his huge butt in the car we got these numbers....

40km/h --> 6.5 L
60km/h --> 6.6 L
80km/h --> 6.1 L
100km/h --> 6.8 L
120km/h --> 6.8L

Quote from the 4b12 test car.

So far all we have been doing is testing for gas mileage. Power is defiantly better but until we get the car on a dyno hard to tell. Only on awd dyno in Ottawa and I aint going there. I have a few business trips in Toronto coming up I will see who will dyno it for me there.

Will be doing group buy that will keep the prices down

Last edited by OttRalliart05; Feb 26, 2012 at 05:15 PM.

Quick Reply: SPDI Plasma Discharge Ignition